Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
2,639 Posts
Founder
Piaf posted on Wed, Jan 24 2018 7:26 PM

Guys,

What is the name of the guy who rebuilds cartridge suspensions? If my memory is accurate, he was in Germany.

No, it is not for me, a friend with a 4004 needs his rebuilt.

Thanks.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

All Replies

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,100 Posts
Silver Member

It used to be Axel Schurholz but he no longer works on B&O carts.  His associate took over that function - his web site:

https://www.tonabnehmerservice.de/

AudioOrigin
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Jeff,

I offer such repairs through my site

http://www.audio-origin.co.uk/retipping-stylus.html

audio.origin.uk@gmail.com

I have a microscope if you want the diamond inspected for wear which I would advise before repair

Also here is the eBay shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/audio-origin?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Best regards Alistair

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
2,639 Posts
Founder
Piaf replied on Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:32 PM

Hello Alistair,

Thank you for letting us (me included) know you do this work. I am not aware I personally have a wear problem, I was trying to help a gentleman on another site who just acquired a Beogram 4002.

The latest news has me stumped. The gentleman's shop told him his stylus was 70% worn. 70% worn? These styluses are either diamond or sapphire, both being EXTREMELY hard and resistant to wear. The MMC20CL has a sapphire stylus and sapphire 'vs vinyl..... hardly a fair match.

Then we need to consider the extremely low weight a Beogram exerts on a record.

I have a MMC 6000, the award winning dust-catcher of all time, and I use a 40X loupe to check it out. Not the same as a microscope, but otters decent magnification. 

As a jeweler and very familiar with both diamonds and sapphires, they can chip, they can fracture, but they are VERY resistant to wear.

I am of the opinion (I could well be wrong, of course) that the major problem with these vintage cartridges is the suspension hardens, ruining the audio range reproduction. 

So please feel free to enlighten me and if necessary, correct me where I am wrong.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

AudioOrigin
Not Ranked
44 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your question I have seen a few people on forums that think stylus wear does not exist,

If only that were the case, wear is definitely an issue, the reason diamond is used is because it is so hard, although as you said diamond is much harder than vinyl and with relatively low tracking weights I can understand why people might think that but the amount of distance the stylus travels is extremely long for every LP, the distortion from flats if more gradual and subtle than suspension failure, after large flats are present you should be able to clearly hear the distortion, but I would advise to replace it well before this point, as once you get to this point you will have damaged your records, it’s the higher frequencies that are affected by flats on the stylus, I have often wondered if people who don’t think stylus wear exists cannot hear the higher , as a lot of people tend to lose the higher frequencies as they get older, also as the wear is so gradual you may well only realise how bad it was after replacing the stylus

Stylus wear varies greatly on how well set up your turntable is and how clean your records and stylus are, most diamond styli last approximately 1000 hours under ideal conditions before it's advisable to replace them, for example the B&O SP10 SP12 SP14  almost never have suspension issues and often when I receive these the only issue is there are flats on the diamond, usually moderate to large, but most cartridges and styli I receive have some wear from very light to severe, if very light (what a lot of people describe as polishing) suspension only is a good choice

“The latest news has me stumped. The gentleman's shop told him his stylus was 70% worn. 70% worn? These styluses are either diamond or sapphire, both being EXTREMELY hard and resistant to wear. The MMC20CL has a sapphire stylus and sapphire 'vs vinyl..... hardly a fair match.”

I would assume that he meant %70 of what he considers its useful life has been worn ie there are flats and they are %70 of the size at which he thinks you should replace it, however if it was described this poorly I would take whatever he said with a pinch of salt, the MMC20CL has a diamond line contact stylus and a sapphire cantilever, line contact styli last longer than spherical and elliptical as they have more contact area and hence the force is distributed over a larger area so wear takes longer, sapphire is hardly used anymore and lasts about 1/10th as long as diamond but is still preferred over diamond by some 78 enthusiasts

“I have a MMC 6000, the award winning dust-catcher of all time, and I use a 40X loupe to check it out. Not the same as a microscope, but otters decent magnification. “

You won't be able to see wear through that at least not until it's very extreme although you can see the diamond clearly only a tiny part of the diamond makes contact with the record which is why these “close up” images on eBay and such and pretty much useless, I could easily take macro shots of severely worn styli that would look as good as genuine NOS.

If you can get your hands on a good microscope it is great thing to have if you are vinyl enthusiast, if you are lucky you can get used ones for very low prices.

Best regards Alistair

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
2,639 Posts
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 5:40 PM

Hi Alistair,

You explain things with such clarity that virtually anyone could comprehend. I genuinely feel enlightened.

What I have "learned," however belatedly is all my styluses except the NOS MMC20CL on my Beogram 4004 need replacement/rebuilding. 

I have also learned that part of the reason my cartridges have lasted so long is I am a fanatic about dust, and clean my records before each use. (Not if I play the same record several times, I am tidy, not totally nuts.....)

I further learned (thank you for ALL this knowledge) that I undoubtedly have been looking to see how CLEAN my stylus is, not inspecting them for tip wear. I rather suspect that even with my 40X loupe that I don't know what I am looking for in regard to wear.

You mentioned that the flat spots primarily effect the upper range, which makes sense. You also mentioned that as people age, it is the highs that "go" first, something that any good audiologist would quickly tell you.

Well at my age (three days younger than God) my hearing can be regarded as suspect, but as I am regularly tested (details wouldn't interest anyone but me) let's just say my hearing is acceptable.

When I found new M75 and M100 speakers I heard a whole RANGE of notes my S75's failed to produce, with the same Beograms and their aging cartridges.

On the one hand I am quite pleased with the overall sound quality my ancient cartridges produce, but even saying that, there is no way for anyone to know what they are missing...... good is not the same as excellent. Something for me to really think about. Also a worn tip will indeed damage vinyl, which is aging on its own with no need to add a blunt stylus tip to the mix. This concerns me.

My stereos are my passion, they must be as I have ten (OK, my sanity, if not my hearing  is questionable) but that notwithstanding my collection of cartridges sound similar, the best being the extremely HIGH usage (and old) MMC20CL and MMC6000. Whatever the condition of the coils, the suspension, and the diamond tips, the sound quality is impressive. The NOS MMC20CL is much less sensitive overall, especially the highs, but I know the usage as the box was sealed when I purchased this a few years ago.

Another step down is another MMC20CL which is on my Beogram 4002 and it sound fine, but not remarkable. I imagine you would find significant wear on that one just from the audio response. 

The one cartridge that is "different" is the MMC20E which is good, but no one would mistake it for the MMC20CL.

Alistair, you have given us all a good deal to ponder. Vintage electronics is as much about preservation as anything else. Plastics get brittle, capacitors dry out with annoying regularity, tape heads wear, speakers need refoaming..... well you get the idea. It is about priorities.

If I locate that microscope you suggested, I sure hope I am capable of learning what it it I should be looking for, vis-a-vis wear on the tip.

Alistair, you have a brilliant writing style and you have convinced me that all but one of my cartridges should be rebuilt.

Old men tend to be stubborn and dig in their heels...... yep. I see that they are dug in, but I am now thinking about this. Short-term fix, I decided that today will be an all Beocord or AKAI 8-Track day.(This is kinda a joke.)

Thank you for taking the time to explain the wear process of a stylus. I appreciate it very much!

Jeff

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL