Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
599 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipedia
Top 200 Contributor
327 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
300 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 9:44 AM

For those of an audiophile bent, it would appear the HomePod is a technical tour de force and has superb measurements...

On top of being fully active with 8 speakers and 8 amplifiers, the 'treble' speakers are actually BMR radiators - state of the art stuff really.

An very interesting review here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/

Cheers

John. 

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
87 Posts
Bronze Member
poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
59 Posts
Bronze Member

I won't buy it but, if I did, HomePod is small and light enough that the chance of it being tossed about would warrant buying their special warranty. I would call it disposable. My MX4200 running Roku into BL3000s is good enough for me and my ears. 

I doubt Apple care about B&O, B&W, Meridian, or even Sonos and Bose, one bit, unless they need to grow. If HomePod is about them entering the premium lifestyle audio business we all know Apple could empty the shelves of all competition in the Apple Stores and distribution channel within months. That would shift the Chinese audio business for sure ;-)

Samsung have Harmon; Maybe Apple want to play with the company they love to hate? Let's see if they create additional products and then we will know. 

BS9000, Essence, BeoLit12, MX4200, BL3000, BV11-55

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,924 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 5:51 PM

Doubt I'll ever buy one, nor a Sonos or anything else like that, though I admit I use my Beolit 15 more than I thought I would. I don't doubt the HomePod will turn out to be a good quality, good sounding product, and woe be unto any manufacturer that Apple decides to hit directly in competition with, they don't play with half measures when they decide to try and dominate a market niche.

And, no surprise, this is apparently another product designed to not be repaired, but thrown into the dump when it breaks. Which is a sad commentary on the times, but I long ago learned that things, especially cars, are designed to be manufactured. Repaired? Not so much or easily, and with "inexpensive" electronics, not repaired at all. Throw away society.

But then, I don't think most Play products are all that repairable either.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
297 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 6:25 PM

Jeff:

as far as i know are there no spare parts for BeoPlay-products except for the A9

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
2,924 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 13 2018 6:38 PM

egges:

Jeff:

as far as i know are there no spare parts for BeoPlay-products except for the A9

Well...there you go. Brave new world I guess. I used to always say if I can't fix it, it ain't broke, but nowadays...

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Irvine
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 3:14 AM

This actually brings up a really good point.  I have 3 Beolit 15’s and 3 Beoplay A1’s.  Are there no replaceable parts for any of ‘em?  Not even the batteries?  Can the speakers be re-foamed?  Egad!

Irvine
Not Ranked
29 Posts
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Wed, Feb 14 2018 3:16 AM

Same with the A6, too?  (Got one of those as well...)

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,310 Posts
Bronze Member

Beware putting your Homepod on wooden surfaces!!!

Apparently it leaves marks.

Ban boring signatures!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,757 Posts
Bronze Member
Saw it and listened to it in Sydney

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,788 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 10:46 AM
Aussie Michael:

Saw it and listened to it in Sydney

The black is sexy compared to my white.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
7,788 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 10:47 AM
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Then Apple stores will have a problem !

As shown in Michael’s photo ... all their demo tables are wooden LaughingLaughingLaughing

BeoNut since '75

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,310 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Feb 15 2018 12:43 PM

The

elephant:
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Then Apple stores will have a problem !

As shown in Michael’s photo ... all their demo tables are wooden LaughingLaughingLaughing

Then they can follow their own wood re-oiling advice!Big Smile

Ban boring signatures!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,757 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Simonbeo
elephant:

The black is sexy compared to my white. BeoNut since '75

The white looked sort of dirty

And not in an Christina Aguilera way either lol.
Page 8 of 12 (175 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL