Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 174 Replies | 4 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
601 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:23 PM

Hi,

With HomePod coming February 9th, will BeoPlay be that successful? Will they still manage to sell the non battery powered BeoPlay audio speakers (except A9) ? I think that even BeoSound 1 and 2 could highly suffer... I guess that soon we will learn if HomePod is far superior than BeoPlay (audio quality speaking) and maybe not far from BeoSounds for a much much lower price. And I don't speak about the wireless connectivity dropouts that happen...

What do you think?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Mikipidia
Top 150 Contributor
460 Posts
Gold Member
Verified by Alen
Wow, that almost read like b&o doesn’t yet know people leave reviews online. Besides that though, i still can’t imagine wanting to have our corporate overlords listening in on private conversations which they share with third parties. They listen to more than just hey siri/google/alexa, they pick up more info from regular conversations too for the purpouses of ad shaping. So with that in mind i’d rather have a somewhat “dumb” speaker or nothing at all Stick out tongue

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

All Replies

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Zagreb, Croatia
480 Posts
Bronze Member

Correct. And then, there is an option it will sound decent, integrate nicely with other Apple products and services many people are using already and the build quality could be good, right?

What would be the last Apple product, in your opinion, to qualify a buyer for an attribute like “sheep, blind and ignorant”?

Anyway, ontopic: as someone wrote - HomePod will likely be an elegant solution for those with AppleMusic subscription and the only music streaming service. Cannot imagine someone who is using Deezer/TuneIn combo to happily take HomePod as a first choice...

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
302 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:46 AM

and why not??? i suffer the difference every day at work with the Microsoft-doorstopper and the Android stuff of my friends, family etc. nobody would complain that a Porsche is more expensive than a, let´s say, VW Golf. i’m fine within the Apple-cosmos since 1995 and therefore keen on the new Homepod, telling it to connect to my B&O devices

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,103 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by Sal
So.... who’s gonna buy one ?
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,053 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 9:00 AM

Are there not still too many unanswered questions about Airplay 2 to know?

If, as it seems, many of the BeoPlay / BS speakers will be updated to the Airplay 2 protocol, does that effectively turn your BeoSound 2 for example into a HomePod?  Outside of the integrated voice control, it may well effectively be the same, especially in conjunction with an iPhone. 

I'm not sure what extra then a HomePod will get you? When you are saying "Hey Siri, etc etc" , your phone is listening and talking to the airplay 2 enabled speaker, rather than talking directly to the HomePod.

Of course, Siri on the HomePod may have a different capability set to the iPhone - that wouldn't be unusual, it works that way elsewhere (a Chromebook vs an Android phone). So who knows if that combination is the equal of a HomePod? 

And of course, at what point down the road (if at all) will Apple open up the HomePod to other music streaming services in the same way as Apple Music.

Apple have been late to the game in other product categories before without harming them, this time its not going to be so easy. Launching without some of the capabilities finished yet plus the huge delay is not encouraging i would suggest.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Zagreb, Croatia
480 Posts
Bronze Member

@egges: I am comparing my today’s experience with Deezer/TuneIn built-in within B&O prodcust (native/elegant/does not consume my mobile phone’s battery) with Airplaying experience when I want to stream AppleMusic. Plus it is not one-click-music quick playback. 

Then for the HomePod I anticipate the reverse thing. Not that it should stop Deezer users from buying it... ...just thought it might not be so ultimately elegant.

@Aussie Michael: we hope some adventurous forum members from countries where it is released might buy one and share experiences here... :whistle: ;j

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,262 Posts
Bronze Member

However, still waiting for AirPlay 2 to be released ;-(

Might be more interesting for B&O/NL users (supposing that many also have ATV’s) than a ‘simple’ HPod.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
302 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 1:21 PM

sorry, AnalogPlanet, i was answering moxxey and TWG, who consider Apple-users as blind and ignorant sheeps, sadly(haven't seen your post before posting mine). of course i can't use AppleMusic out of the B&O-app, but that's not a problem for me at all. i hope Airplay 2 will give B&O the tool to enable BS 2 (and their other monospeakers) for stereo-mode as it is announced for the HomePod; at least i won't hesitate to get a second BS 2

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound + amazonFireTV, appleTV (4th. gen.) und Samsung BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (macmini, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,256 Posts
Gold Member

Personally, I'm keeping away from voice control. Too many stories about people suddenly getting advertising for something they've mentioned in a private  conversation, even though they were convinced that their mobile device microphone was supposedly turned off.

Just wait until rogue political parties start exploiting this technology and are listening to your views..... Big Brother???

Graham

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 3:38 PM

AnalogPlanet:
@Aussie Michael: we hope some adventurous forum members from countries where it is released might buy one and share experiences here... :whistle: ;j

I have 2 pre-ordered but will only set up one initially.  I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music. I won't be using Siri much if at all since it won't work well with Japanese words and then only pull my music off of iTunes Match which is lower resolution. I will be happy to report back on my Airplay usage and how well I think it sounds without doing any direct comparison's to my B&O devices.  I don't know if I will have Airplay with Tunein or how elegant that might be, so that might be missed.  The Tunein app for iPhone/iPad seems to require a paid subscription to use. I believe this will be an advantage for B&O!

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
3,172 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 4:43 PM

vikinger:

Personally, I'm keeping away from voice control. Too many stories about people suddenly getting advertising for something they've mentioned in a private  conversation, even though they were convinced that their mobile device microphone was supposedly turned off.

Just wait until rogue political parties start exploiting this technology and are listening to your views..... Big Brother???

Graham

Orwell was prescient in predicting abuses of the surveillance state, but he never would have imagined that Big Brother might not be the government but rather the tech giants like Google, Facebook, etc. I am far too distrusting to let voice command products have free reign around the house.

For a while I worked in computer forensics, the things I can tell you after looking at your cache and search results would astound you. We've seen cases over here where the police obtained Siri and Alexa search records that were quite damning. Siri, how do you get rid of a body? Seriously. But what kind of moron asks that and doesn't think it's recorded somewhere in the cloud?

Once again, it's a tradeoff between privacy and convenience. Usually convenience wins for most people. As for the HomePod, I look forward to hearing what it really sounds like, the blurbs on the drivers and such look promising.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:48 PM

Mark-N:
 I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music.

This is me and I also don't use Siri. However, the fact that one's true library isn't accessible via Home Sharing, and even if it was, it may not play all of the tracks based on limitations which are right now being reported by tech news sites is a bit problematic.

I'm eager to hear how it sounds so please keep us posted!

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 7:21 PM

Sal:
This is me and I also don't use Siri. However, the fact that one's true library isn't accessible via Home Sharing, and even if it was, it may not play all of the tracks based on limitations which are right now being reported by tech news sites is a bit problematic.

I'm not sure what this means, if I can't access my iTunes library and direct it to the HomePod via Airplay?  This would be a very bad move on Apples part if that happens.  I will use the iTunes Remote app which connects to my library via Home Sharing and just select the HomePod in Airplay.  If this doesn't work like it is expected to I will be returning the HomePods immediately.

One area where I expect Apple to be better than B&O is software updates for problems encountered.  We'll see though.  I still have to periodically unplug my Essence Mk II every now and then to get my Essence Remote to work again.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 8:45 PM

Mark-N, here's an excerpt from this article which is making the rounds:

"If you add music to your home iTunes library that was not acquired through a purchase, HomePod will not be able to access it. It appears HomePod doesn’t have Home Sharing, which would enable that kind of feature."

Mark-N
Top 200 Contributor
Maryland, USA
317 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sat, Jan 27 2018 10:16 PM

I don't know of any Airplay speakers that has Home Sharing.  That is normally on the device that is playing the music and sending it to the Airplay speaker such as the iPhone or iPad.  I think there is a lot of information out there from people who are incorrectly interpretting certain statements from Apple, since it is not out of personal experience.  I just can't believe that Apple would do that!

Edit:  Thinking about it more, Home Sharing would be used by Siri to access your local music. Since the HomePod doesn't have that [yet], would make sense why Siri would only work for Apple Music.  This would have no affect for Airplay though.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,103 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark-N:

I have 2 pre-ordered but will only set up one initially. I am a pretty basic user since I don't subscribe to Apple Music and only use my local library of music. I won't be using Siri much if at all since it won't work well with Japanese words and then only pull my music off of iTunes Match which is lower resolution. I will be happy to report back on my Airplay usage and how well I think it sounds without doing any direct comparison's to my B&O devices. I don't know if I will have Airplay with Tunein or how elegant that might be, so that might be missed. The Tunein app for iPhone/iPad seems to require a paid subscription to use. I believe this will be an advantage for B&O!

@mark. I think they are released here next week. UnsureWhistleWhistle
Page 3 of 12 (175 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL