rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam posted on Sun, Jan 14 2018 4:41 PM

I just bought a used 5500 system (receiver, cd, turntable, tape deck, remote) and so far loving it - but - i have an odd problem i'm hoping someone can help with...

When i press play, the arm moves over to the record and it doesnt seem to lower down enough to touch the record, and then keeps moving over till like the second or third track and then seems to meet up with the level of the record and then plays fine.

I tried adjusting the slide adjustment for tracking to both sides of the scale and to the recommended 1.5 setting but that didnt help. 

I also looked at the platter and it looks ok, not bent, but it does look slightly lower on the right side than the left side - maybe that has something to do with it - but it seems so slightly off.

Thanks for your help!!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 4 2018 10:24 AM
Verified by Adam

Exactly!
Push it down into its holder.
It will snap down.

The white rod is tilting back and forth to lift/lower the tonearm. Don't worry about that now - do the other thing first and let's see if
there are still problems to fix afterwards. 

Martin

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 6:38 PM

Sounds like the carriages steel rail has slipped out of its holder at the subchassis plate.
Perhaps the holder has broken.
Most likely due to inadequate packing.

Martin 

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 7:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Martin!

Do you happen to know of any resources to view images of where/how to inspect the elements you're referring to?

Thanks!

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 7:15 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Martin!

Do you happen to know of any resources to view images of where/how to inspect the elements you're referring to?

Thanks!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jan 14 2018 8:01 PM

Just watch if the riding height of the carriage with respect to the deck surface changes as you (carefully) push
the carriage left and right (Beogram unpowered).
Push on the carriage housing  - not the arms.

Martin.

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 2:38 PM

Hey Martin, you were correct... when pushing the carriage, the arms change height - i took off that back cover to look in there and took the platter off - nothing looks obviously off, but i dont really know what im looking for or at ... looks like the arm/carriage slides back and forth on a silver metal rod but i dont see where/how to make any adjustments to it. Wondering if you have any advice or knowledge about it...

Thank you!!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 2:54 PM

Has the stel rod come off from its right end holder?

Martin

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:21 PM

Both ends appear to be sitting/snapped in to the black clips/holders on either end...

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 3:36 PM

Well, if the tonearm height above the platter differs according to its position, something MUST be wrong.
Can you provide a photo or two of the innards around the area in question?

Martin

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 4:31 PM

I posted a few pics, i took a short video of the arm moving across but the file i think is too big to upload here... you'll see in one pic the platter itself looks to be higher on the left then the right, but just slightly. Hope these pics help... 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 8:44 PM

The platter height is not the problem.
If the subchassis sits too high, the carriage and tonearms will sit high too since they are moving together.

Good photos, but I can't see the steel rails right side holder in any of them.
Take off the platter,
push the carriage towards the center as far as it will go,
remove two screws from below along the right edge of the Beograms bottom plate (Beogram placed so that
its right side sticks out 10cm over a table edge),
carefully lift up the right side of the top chassis (it's hinged to the bottom plate along the left side), careful as it passes
the carriage housing (particularly if the carriage rails are off their holders!).
Note there is (often but not always) a small metal stand at the rear, near the left side, that can catch on the bottom plate as you
swing the top open and will need a little help, it will go into a small hole at the rear edge to keep the top of the Beogram standing at an angle.
Now you can see what is going on and take a photo or two of the area of the right side rail holder.

Martin

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 5:32 PM

Great directions!

Here's some new photos... there's 2 areas i added a red arrow to, one because im not sure the white plastic rod and the clip its sitting in front of is right - and other is the possible culprit i think...

the smaller of the 2 metal rods, its holder on the right side looks like its broken and the rod possibly needs to be pushed down further (?)....

Thanks Martin!

Adam
Not Ranked
Long Island NY
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Adam replied on Sat, Feb 3 2018 5:35 PM

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,973 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 4 2018 10:24 AM
Verified by Adam

Exactly!
Push it down into its holder.
It will snap down.

The white rod is tilting back and forth to lift/lower the tonearm. Don't worry about that now - do the other thing first and let's see if
there are still problems to fix afterwards. 

Martin

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL