rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Deano1979
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Deano1979 Posted: Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:36 PM

Hi All.

Im new so bare with, i brought 2 Beovision 5, one wall mounted and the other with a motorised stand from ebay.

As we all know they only run a 480p old plasma screen so the one with the motorised stand i have install a Smart 42" 4K LED screen and connect this to the amazing sound system on board.

The wall mount Beo5 i removed the screen and cut the unit down to create a sound bar with i have connected my iTunes music to via an ipad. i have also connected a pair of beautiful Beolad 8000 and a Beolab 2 Sub.

It sounds just amazing! im hoping to add to my collection real soon. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 1,850
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:06 PM

Creative Smile

For sure a very striking appearance of that "Soundbar". Good job!

So how do you mix the stereo channels? What is going to the "soundbar"?

Any pictures of the one you where putting a new screen into?

Deano1979
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member

The ipad is connected via a scart to Phono (then phono into a 3.5mm headphone jack) lead into the rear as you would of connect an old sky box maybe.

The Beovision 5 looks the same as before on the outside. 

An RGB to HDMI out cable is used to access the old Beo menu's

trackbeo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:04 PM

O.  M.  G.  Kudos!  You are single-handedly going to start a price war on eBay for old Beovision 5's among the DIY crowd...

Deano1979:
An RGB to HDMI out cable is used to access the old Beo menu's

So do you use an alternate input source on your new TV's remote, and then switch back to watch whatever?  Or do you have a BeoRemote working the whole set?

Deano1979
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Deano1979 replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:14 PM

Beo 4 remote works the power to the screen still and the volume. and of course the Stand and original menus. 

You have to use the Smart remote to work all the tv functions. Big Smile

My wall mounted TV was £75 and the motorised base was £70 both off ebay. 

Few on ebay now for £150... 

Jeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,978
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jan 12 2018 5:46 PM

Bravo! I love seeing old, “real” B&O gear adapted for the modern world rather than being scrapped. Great work!

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Stoobietoo
Top 200 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 303
Silver Member

Deano,

If you're a little bit technical (as it seems you maybe) you might be able to use a Raspberry Pi hidden in the BV5 to control the screenwith the Beo4. The links  below might give you some ideas. I'd say if you made one that reacts to/learns one of the items on the PUC menu you could then use a PUC cable to the Raspberry Pi to translate those codes into the codes for the screen using a LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control) program and then control the screen with the Pi.

There is a board you can add to the Pi to do all this

Link to Article

Link to IR add on board

How a LIRC program works

EDIT - Having found the add on board, maybe the 1st article isn't so relevant as you will not need to buy the B&O compatible reciever it talks about if you choose a PUC item for the codes. 

Stoobie

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL