rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Jord
Not Ranked
Gateshead
3 Posts
Bronze Member
Jord posted on Fri, Dec 29 2017 10:50 AM

Hi all, hope it's all right just signing up and dropping this in.

I've recently inherited a really nice setup off my parents (Beomaster 1900-2 amp, Beogram 1600 turntable, Beovox S40 speakers, Beocord 1500-1900 tape recorder and the System Cabinet 17) and everything's in near-enough working order, except for the following:

-the foam on the woofers of both speakers has perished

-one of the speakers/channels is quieter than the other

-some of the lights on the amp have stopped working

So I'm looking at my options for getting all this sorted, but I've really got no frame of reference for pricing or in fact where would be best to go (i.e. do I need to go to B&O for this or would any electronics place suffice?) I've spoken to my local B&O store (Newcastle) about having the speakers and the amp looked at, and they indicated it would cost £100 to have it all looked at, but with no guarantee anything could be done with either the amp or the speakers since they're as old as they are, they may not have the parts (and if they do, that £100 might not cover the cost of the actual repairs). There's a Richer Sounds in town, and they'll look at the speakers for £20 each, and then the amp for £40, but with the same proviso as B&O, in that they can't guarantee anything, that money is non-refundable, and it might cost more than that to do the repairs if they can.

Basically, I'm after any/all advice that you can provide:

-does what I've described sound like it's repairable?

-what might be the cause of the speaker/channel sound difference (just so I've got something to go on when I speak to the repair people)

-do I really need to go to B&O?

-is it likely that either of these places will be able to do the repairs?

-do those prices sound reasonable? Or am I looking at considerably more to get it all fixed?

-are there any other places you'd recommend?

I'm in the UK, FYI. Appreciate any help offered, thanks in advance,

Jordan

All Replies

peternovy
Not Ranked
52 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Jordan, I am not an expert but I can give you my 2 cents worth as I had to go through a similar routine recently as I am not handy with electronic and had to find the right people to service my equipment.

I think I would take the equipment everywhere BUT B&O, I don't think they offer any kind of reasonable service for their older products (what qualifies here as vintage, at least). However, in any larger city you should be able to find local electronics technicians or workshops, possibly ones that specialize in "vintage audio", that should be able to do the repairs. Vintage audio is now quite trendy so this is the phrase to look for, probably. I would ask how much experience they have with B&O particularly, what other brands do they service, etc. to evaluate if they can indeed do the job. Some of these places have some kind of portfolio, e.g. online, it's good to look at it. 

As for the diagnostic fee my experience is that it is standard - I paid the same amount (I am located in Poland). After all, it does take some works to see what's wrong and in some cases to even open a receiver -- B&O receivers are apparently a bit more difficult to work on than some other brands so in my case the diagnostic fee was a bit higher than for other brands. However, you should probably expect that something will need to be done and the cost will go up. For instance, replacing all the electrolytic capacitors is a procedure that you should do on any older receiver, in the speakers crossovers, etc. The speakers should also be inspected, not only the surrounds but also the cabinet, depending how they were stored and so on. 

Anyway, any of the experts on this site should be able to give more accurate advice! Good luck!

Piotr

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
2,578 Posts
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Dec 30 2017 6:01 PM

Jord:

-the foam on the woofers of both speakers has perished

Basically, I'm after any/all advice that you can provide:

-does what I've described sound like it's repairable?

-do those prices sound reasonable? Or am I looking at considerably more to get it all fixed?

-are there any other places you'd recommend?

I had a pro in the States repair my BM1900 and it ran $300.  I think it was money well spent as I love the results and am confident it will run another 25 years.

My S40s with foam rot, on the other hand, I fixed myself.  It took an afternoon to replace the foam and cost less than $20 in parts.  Have a go at repairing the woofers yourself.  There are many, many threads on here and in the archived forum to guide you.  Here's mine, though it's not really guide.  I just wanted to show you that a novice can do it.

Jord
Not Ranked
Gateshead
3 Posts
Bronze Member
Jord replied on Sat, Jan 6 2018 8:27 PM

Thanks for the info pals. Money's not really an issue since I got the lot for free anyway, I just wanted to be sure I was getting the right things done and not being ripped off. I'm waiting on a call back from Richer Sounds to discuss it, they seem to be my best option locally.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL