Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog posted on Thu, Dec 28 2017 9:20 PM

hi,

one of my beloab 8000s switches off after a few minutes of use. After leaving the power cable out of the speaker for a while, it powers up fine again, with a green light, but then switches to the red light after a few minutes. Something thermal?

any advice appreciated!

All Replies

Soren
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
108 Posts
Bronze Member
Soren replied on Thu, Dec 28 2017 10:15 PM

It is a quite common problem if they are from before around year 2000, it’s the foam around the amplifier that turns into a sticky oil that causes the problem. I had the same issue  with mine, a cleaning solved the problem. 

Beolab 4000 some timeshave the same problem.

Søren

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Dec 29 2017 12:54 AM

Thanks. I’ll give this a try. Any recommendations on what cleaner to use? The gunk seems quite thick. 

In addition, can you suggest what can I use to replace the lost foam? 

Thanks again.

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Mon, Jan 1 2018 4:58 PM

Well I gave the speaker a clean. Removed all the foam - which had converted to a sticky black goo. Gave the circuit boards a good clean with alcohol, and re-installed.

Unfortunately the same thing is happening - powers on well enough, but about 10 mins in, the green light goes out. Restarting doesn’t make any difference until i’ve taken the power cable physically out of the speaker and left it that way for about 30mins+, powering it again, then the speaker powers up - but again only for about 10 mins

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Mon, Jan 8 2018 4:13 PM

Bump... Any thoughts?

Anyone?

laseralex
Top 500 Contributor
117 Posts
Bronze Member

It sounds like you are comfortable taking your speaker apart.  Have you ever used a volt meter?  The schematics for the 8000 are available online, and I could help you work your way through troubleshooting.

2x Beosound Moment
4x Beosound Essence Mk II
3x Beolab 8000
1x Beolab 6000
1x Beolab 3
3x Beolab 2
4x BeoPlay M5
1x BeoPlay A6
9x Essence Remote

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Tue, Jan 9 2018 3:11 PM

Great. That would be helpful!

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Wed, Feb 7 2018 1:48 PM

I guess the help wasn’t forthcoming then.....

Haris1961
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi there from New Zealand.  Did you ever find the problem with your Beolab 8000 going into standby. Mine has developed the same symptom. I have taken out the amp, cleaned the gunk and no real change. I have one difference. If I disconnect from power for a day or more, it plays for all the time I am listening and once put into standby, it does not come back online. There was a solution proposed where one member had suggested soldering a wire from one end of the track to the other for the two tracks that conduct the signal for standby/wake.  I did that but have not had much joy either.  Any update will be most appreciated.  Thanks and all the best.

phoo5
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
phoo5 replied on Mon, Aug 10 2020 3:31 PM

similar issue here. have you found a solution? I also think that is thermal but you said cleaning it doesn't help.

could it be because of the cables? any updates would be appreciated. thanks

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Aug 11 2020 4:20 PM

frog:

I guess the help wasn’t forthcoming then.....

Well, what he probably should have written is, "take apart your speakers, look through the PCB's and find any signs of dead traces caused by the old foam, and do some measuring according to the schematics, and report back here. Then I might be able to give you some hints on what is going on"

The old foam, if left for to long, causes PCB traces to "vaporise" and causes "no-connection" problems. So you need to do some measuring with a multimeter, to check if there are any traces with missing continuity from point A to B.

A cleaning of the foam will not solve the problem, since it is not the foam that is doing short circuits or anything, but the destruction of traces instead.

Also the std.by relay could be the cause of the problems.

But, you need to do some measuring yourself before anyone can help you :)

/Weebyx

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Tue, Aug 11 2020 5:34 PM

Well this was an old thread - and I did trace the fault to a track failure due to corrosion by the foam turning into gunk.

i just bridged the gap with a wire and everything fired up correctly . I replied on another thread - this is quite a common issue.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,115 Posts
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Aug 12 2020 6:42 AM

frog:

Well this was an old thread - and I did trace the fault to a track failure due to corrosion by the foam turning into gunk.

i just bridged the gap with a wire and everything fired up correctly . I replied on another thread - this is quite a common issue.

Sorry, did not check the date of your last statement, just the newest :) Great it was fixed.

/Weebyx

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL