Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

ScottMacK
Not Ranked
Australia
26 Posts
Gold Member
ScottMacK posted on Sat, Dec 23 2017 11:05 AM

Hello all

Is anyone having success with a B&O audio system connected via Powerlink to an S8 Connection Hub?

I have an S8 Connection Hub which is currently working well sending sound from my non-B&O TV to my Beolab 17s using the optical input. I am about to give it to my sister who will use it to connect a non-B&O TV (optical in) and a BeoSound 3000 (Powerlink in) to a pair of Beolab 4000s.

I am having trouble getting it to work. I have sound when I watch TV but not from the BeoSound 3000.

Naturally, I am using a DIN to RJ45 cable to connect the BS3000 to the hub. I have an RJ45 to DIN adapter coming out of the hub and going to the first BL4000. The second BL4000 is daisy chained from the first.

When I turn the BS3000 on the hub turns on (so it’s obviously sensing it) but the speakers do not.

I’ve had the 4000s play a chirp on two occasions just as the speakers turn off (when they were already on from watching TV) but that’s the closest I’ve come. If they’re off when I turn on the BS3000 they stay off.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

Scott

PS I am unable to use the AUX IN on the BS3000 as the new TV does not have line out, only optical.

All Replies

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,401 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Dec 23 2017 2:18 PM

Hello Scott,

does sound like a connection and cable problem. How did you connect it?

TV optical out ----> S8 Hub optical in

S8 Powerlink out -----------> Beosound 3000 Aux in (if the cable wiring is right, audio signal should be sent)

Beosound 3000 Powerlink out --------------> Beolab 4000

Merry Christmas :-)

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
171 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Sat, Dec 23 2017 4:41 PM

If I recall correctly when utilising PL input on S8 hub, the PL output trigger is disabled. The output signal is still present however for reasons unknown b&o decided to disable triggering. Try setting the BL4000s to "line" to test.

Try as noted above the optical in - I use both optical inputs on mine and it triggers & switches perfectly my BL9s.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,609 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Scott,

Yes, Davidr is correct - the Powerlink input on the S8 Hub should be avoided as for some (unknown?) reason connecting to this stops the Hub from outputting trigger signals to turn on the speakers.  Incidentally you could still use RJ45 to RCA cables to operate the speakers in "Line" mode this way, but it isn't ideal.

The best option here is to link the TV to the optical input of the Hub and then link the Hub, Beosound and speaker as TWG suggested:-

Hub RJ45 output ----> Beosound Aux Input,   then    Beosound Powerlink output ----> Beolab speakers

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

ScottMacK
Not Ranked
Australia
26 Posts
Gold Member
Thank you all. That would seem to explain it.

Your suggestions seem to use the S8 hub as a DAC to allow the TV digital output to be connected to the Aux In on the 3000. In fact that is what I have done today by buying a little DAC from my local electronics store.

Interestingly, the S8 manual clearly envisions a BeoVision being connected to the Powerlink input on the hub. There must be something different between B&O TVs and audio systems in relation to speaker triggering?

Cheers

Scott

Gaea
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Gaea replied on Mon, Feb 5 2018 10:26 AM

Hi all,

I read about a lot of issues with B&O stuff on this forum, and that's ok offcourse.

But this time I like to mention that I have a connection hub, a TV (LG) via toslink and a BS5 Encore via PL in, and BL6000 via PL out.

And everything works!(-;

The BL6000 turns off after a while, I can switch between sources with no problem.

The only hitch is that sometimes it switches to another input source while my BS5 Encore is playing.

I have to push the setup button  once or twice.

I could also connect my smartphone via 3,5mm jack and play spotify without problems.

When I do this on the BS5's aux-in directly, I have to turn up the volume quite a lot...

When I ordered the Connection hub at my B&O dealer, he just sent back a few, because they hadn't the newest software.

After a week he had the connection hubs with the newest firmware.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,441 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way?

What is the newest hub sw and how do you find out, which one yours is running?

Will probably have to be done off-line, I guess?...by B&O/a dealer?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Gaea
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
Gaea replied on Mon, Feb 5 2018 8:17 PM

I don't know either how to find that out...

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
117 Posts
Gold Member
Johan replied on Sun, Feb 11 2018 8:02 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:

Hi Scott,

Yes, Davidr is correct - the Powerlink input on the S8 Hub should be avoided as for some (unknown?) reason connecting to this stops the Hub from outputting trigger signals to turn on the speakers.  Incidentally you could still use RJ45 to RCA cables to operate the speakers in "Line" mode this way, but it isn't ideal.

The best option here is to link the TV to the optical input of the Hub and then link the Hub, Beosound and speaker as TWG suggested:-

Hub RJ45 output ----> Beosound Aux Input,   then    Beosound Powerlink output ----> Beolab speakers

Kind regards, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Maybe thinkting too simple, but could it be possible to loop the trigger signal externally?

regards, Johan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,609 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Johan,

Trying to loop the trigger signal is best avoided, as it complicates the wiring for negligible benefit, also it can cause unwanted noise to be heard through the speakers in some setups.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL