Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Jim Carr
Not Ranked
Loleta CA.
41 Posts
Bronze Member
Jim Carr posted on Thu, Dec 14 2017 4:16 AM

Hello all and Merry Christmas!!

Looks like my MMC20EN cartridge is worn out. I tested it using a Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP and it fails band 7,8 & 9 bias setting on side 1. It pass all tests when I first checked it about 6 months ago after a slight tweek of the cartridge in the tone arm.

I looked at the cart under a microscope and can see a flat spot on either side of the stylus that makes me think it is worn out.

I am wondering about getting it rebuilt or buying a used one off fleabay. I have heard a lot about Sound-Smith and came across Audio Origin (but never heard back from them after I sent an email) then there is Audio-Bay on fleabay that offers rebuild service.

I still have the original MMC6000 but the stylus fell off some time ago but I think it is rebuildable as well.

Decisions decisions!! Any help?

All Replies

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,890 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Thu, Dec 14 2017 6:07 AM

Hi,

I have a Soundsmith and I’m happy with it. It sounds like a modern cartridge, not dull like those of yore.

The re-tips I have are a disappointment. None sounds as good as my SMMC20EN.

Jacques

Jim Carr
Not Ranked
Loleta CA.
41 Posts
Bronze Member

So the SMMC20EN is a new cart they make and not a B&O re-build?

sonavor
Top 50 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,200 Posts
Gold Member

Right. The SMMC cartridges are a brand new cartridge, cantilever and stylus. 

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,941 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 7:22 AM

The SMMC cartridges are completely different - they use more modern magnets and are essentially hand built. They are not as perfect in appearance as the originals but have a performance far more typical of the modern sound rather than the slightly laid back sound of the originals. The SMMC20 range are the same as the SMMC1-5 range but are encased in an external case. There are reviews available on site.

Peter

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,264 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 11:24 AM

It's a matter of taste.

I am an older generation, preferring the warmer sound from the time when pleasant sound was more important than nice
looking numbers on specs sheets.
I don't listen to numbers. I find the modern sound sterile and wearing on the ears, occasionally to the point of feeling relief when I turn it off.

I would prefer a retip'ed original over an SMMC any day.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,890 Posts
Bronze Member
chartz replied on Fri, Dec 15 2017 12:26 PM
I have originals and replicas as well. And yes they sound completely different!

The new ones offer a sometimes glassy CD-like sound, as the older ones - MMC20CL, SP12... - are mellower.

Jacques

Jim Carr
Not Ranked
Loleta CA.
41 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you for your input. I appreciate reading about the difference in sounds it will help in my decision.

I am of the older generation as well as all of my equipment from my first turntable a Dual 1229 now running with a Shure M97xE, my Mac MR71 tuner on out to my B&O M70 and Sansui SP5500 speakers. All going through my newest piece a Accuphase E202 Integrated Amp I bought at the same time as my 4002 in 74. I'm also playing with my Crown SX824 and Teac 6010GSL to keep me busy.

I think I will go with a retip and keep everything of the same vintage (except the Shure) so now I need to decide on who to do it. Anyone use someone beside Sound Smith?

Thanks, Jim.

AudioOrigin
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Jim,

Where did you send the email?

Here is my email audio.origin.uk@gmail.com

And here is the page on the website about cartridge repairs

http://www.audio-origin.co.uk/retipping-stylus.html

Best regards Alistair

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS