Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision 14 the end of Bang Olufsen Tv

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 3 Followers

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
stuart50_1 posted on Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:16 PM

Hi all

I have been a very long and loyal Bang Olufsen customer . Last year I bought the Beovision 14 , with the Android system , I appreciate the fact that B&O are a small Tv company , I also under stand that B&O need to do something to keep in the market place. I have been informed by my retailer that when B&O run out of the panels for the Avant and 14  that will be the end of production. And the LG will be the way forward using both LG panels but also their operating system.

I like how everybody has bought a Beo 14 will be left with a very expensive experiment that did not work . We are still experiencing crashing and the fact it does not always turn on my skybox , it has to be pressed twice for it to work

It will be just like the BeoMaster 5 with no software to connect the system . The dealer has said that the 14 will still get updates to remedy its issues? Yes of course it will when it looks like there having similar problems with the Eclipse their new flagship TV. I know they both operate on different operating systems but that is besides the point all their resources will be now be redirected into solving their eclipse issues.

My tv is just twelve months old and what are the chances of it ever been fully correct as advertised ,is this not a breach of contract as the tv is not working correctly. All the dealer does is point out that it’s Androids fault surely its B&O’s issue as the tv was released far too early ? 

Any  thoughts out there. Stuart

All Replies

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

Yup, Loewe are definitely the new B&O.

I've just bought a second hand BV11-46 for the next few years as I am trying desperately to hang on to B&O but as stated a few posts above, the BV11 is, I agree, the last 'proper' BeoVision from Bang & Olufsen that is complete and works.

My next update in several years time will undoubtedly be an OLED and unless B&O make some kind of impressive comeback; well, it's going to be a Loewe set I should imagine. It would have been this time round had it not been that a 55" screen is probably still overkill in my new smaller property.

I totally agree with Jeff's post about the rushing of products to satisfy investors and shareholders etc. B&O have, unfortunately, sold their soul - and a long time ago at that. It's just not a company that has heart and spirit anymore.

Simon. 

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
614 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, May 9 2018 8:16 PM

I think one of their big mistakes was falling for silicon valley's BS, namely Android TV.  I think many of the issues with B&O's Android TVs are directly traceable to Android itself (i.e. Sony can't even make it work). 

I've seen this movie before:  Management loves the "Android strategy" - license an "industry standard" "platform", and automatically get access to the "smart" apps everyone is clamoring for.  Fewer engineers required?  Even better!  Some of the remaining engineers try to make it work, realize first hand what a pile of crap Android is, and push back.  However, those "trouble makers" get pushed out for being "resistant to change".  The rest put out their resumes.  Some of the best and brightest leave.  The downward spiral goes on... 

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

Is the BV14 now discontinued? If so, good to grab at attractive price?

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
931 Posts
Gold Member
Christophe :

Loewe TVs have their own OS software, I don't think B&O is a smaller company than Loewe ? At least the TV doesn't become obsolete if you haven't made the last update or if there are no more updates from third parties .. Some people will argue that BeoMaster 5 had a proper B&O OS and that it is no longer updated .. which is true: is it so hard to hire a software developer in Denmark?!

I think Loewe is waaay bigger now on the tv front. If i remember right in 2016 or 2017 they sold 700.000+ units in germany alone. They’re the third biggest seller behind lg and samsung and they all run on the same tv os that’s based on html5.

I was told Loewe wants to work with b&o and help each other out, but b&o doesn’t want to

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1.

Mikipedia on YouTube (finally Stick out tongue )

https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,358 Posts
Bronze Member
Mikipidia:

I think Loewe is waaay bigger now on the tv front. If i remember right in 2016 or 2017 they sold 700.000+ units in germany alone. They’re the third biggest seller behind lg and samsung and they all run on the same tv os that’s based on html5.

I was told Loewe wants to work with b&o and help each other out, but b&o doesn’t want to New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Very interesting
steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member
Let me clarify my Q.

The BV14 is basically a BV11 with 4k, wooden grill and android. I know most people don’t like android, but i’d anyway use an ATV and the googlecast feature of the bv14.

In this context, is the bv14 a good buy if i find a good deal?
andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
The country formerly known as the United Kingdom
153 Posts
Gold Member
andy_js replied on Sat, Jul 21 2018 11:00 AM

What size BV are you looking to purchase?  If you're going for a 40 or 46 you might not benefit that much from 4K.  In that case I'd suggest going for a BV11 instead.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,358 Posts
Bronze Member
steve1977:

Let me clarify my Q.

The BV14 is basically a BV11 with 4k, wooden grill and android. I know most people don’t like android, but i’d anyway use an ATV and the googlecast feature of the bv14.

In this context, is the bv14 a good buy if i find a good deal?

I did have a thread on this exact topic, i got some interesting feedback. Most people said dont bother with a 14 and go for an 11

A 14 also has the wifi chip in a different spot and up the top of the TV and also has BT it’s a different “chassis” as B&O call it.

The android is stable from what i read and understand and there is no issues with HDMI just with some apps on the google store.
Desrux
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
Desrux replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 3:37 PM

Completly agree with BV11 UI/UX platform being great and outperforming Andriod/webOS. And when supplemented by a ATV 4 or 5 it does not get much better.

WebOS and Android has no B&O feel to them. Also curtains are missing!

I hope B&O eventually will be able to do a better integration of LG panels to make something like a BV11/BV14 refresh and be able to customize/modifiy the UI/UX og WebOS to make it have some B&O look and feel and visiual simplicity.

Just because we know the meaning of the Smart TV concept I have yet to see it realized in any TV. 

beotex
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member
beotex replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 4:53 PM
Desrux:

Small clarification - you do have the curtains on Android. At least my Avant NG has them.

And for the record, I’ve been very happy with the TV, stability, and multi-room capability.
IA64
Top 500 Contributor
87 Posts
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Sun, Jul 22 2018 5:44 PM

beotex:
Desrux:

Small clarification - you do have the curtains on Android. At least my Avant NG has them.

And for the record, I’ve been very happy with the TV, stability, and multi-room capability.

Very happy with the Tv ? no bugs, crashes, outdated Android Tv ? 

steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is helpful.

Eclipse is not an option for me as it indeed looks too much like a LG televison pieced together with a soundbar. I know the arguments that it is not, but visually it does not do the trick for me.

The BV14 visually is best for me as it has the wooden grill making it superior in design to the BV11 or BV7. I am thinking of 55", so 4k may make a difference.

The absence of the "curtain" is a big deal though. Some people may laugh now, but it is a part of what makes B&O unique. Really a pity that B&O got rid of it.

Would I even notice that this is Android based if I only use the ATV? I thought the ATV GUI may be all I see in this case and I would never ever need to see that there is a Android somewhere in it?

How does googlecast and NL work with the BV14? Are they part of Android? What and how is albumart displayed when casting via googlecast or NL to the BV14? Can I cast via googlecast or NL when the BV is turned off (i.e., some sense-in that allows to turn on BLs when casting, while keeping the screen off)?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,358 Posts
Bronze Member
The wood lamellas are able to fit a BV11 from mk2 onward
steve1977
Top 150 Contributor
705 Posts
Bronze Member

Aussie Michael:
The wood lamellas are able to fit a BV11 from mk2 onward

Would not give me 4k (less critical) and also no integrated googlecast. If I were to use a googlecast dongle, it would not auto-switch and I would need to turn on the TV manually if I were to cast audio to it.

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
1,468 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jul 23 2018 10:18 AM
The 11 has a better panel / screen technology than the 14. I had the 14, and I cannot stress enough how the 14 struggles with dark scenes.

I loved the design and look of the 14, but in the end picture quality is still the most important thing.

Also the sound is a bit more punchy on the 11.

And 4k without HDR is marginal at best. I watched some 4K netflix on the 14, and the big issue was still the poor dimming on the 14, much more so than extra resolution.

I swapped the 14 for an Avant pretty Android - it's a much better panel.

Edge lit TV'S can be better than backlit ones.
Page 3 of 6 (76 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL