Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision 14 the end of Bang Olufsen Tv

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 75 Replies | 3 Followers

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
stuart50_1 posted on Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:16 PM

Hi all

I have been a very long and loyal Bang Olufsen customer . Last year I bought the Beovision 14 , with the Android system , I appreciate the fact that B&O are a small Tv company , I also under stand that B&O need to do something to keep in the market place. I have been informed by my retailer that when B&O run out of the panels for the Avant and 14  that will be the end of production. And the LG will be the way forward using both LG panels but also their operating system.

I like how everybody has bought a Beo 14 will be left with a very expensive experiment that did not work . We are still experiencing crashing and the fact it does not always turn on my skybox , it has to be pressed twice for it to work

It will be just like the BeoMaster 5 with no software to connect the system . The dealer has said that the 14 will still get updates to remedy its issues? Yes of course it will when it looks like there having similar problems with the Eclipse their new flagship TV. I know they both operate on different operating systems but that is besides the point all their resources will be now be redirected into solving their eclipse issues.

My tv is just twelve months old and what are the chances of it ever been fully correct as advertised ,is this not a breach of contract as the tv is not working correctly. All the dealer does is point out that it’s Androids fault surely its B&O’s issue as the tv was released far too early ? 

Any  thoughts out there. Stuart

All Replies

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
608 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Dec 13 2017 3:38 PM

My dealer told me that the Avant and Horizon would continue into the foreseeable future.  The Horizon is the "small" TV, the Avant is the "large" TV (the 55" Avant is being discontinued, but the 75 / 85" would continue.  Meanwhile, the Eclipse gets the 55 and 65".  He didn't mention the BV14, and I didn't ask.  However, to me, this means the Android platform is not dead (for now).

Also, given the Eclipse and BV14/Avant/Horizon are completely different platforms - WebOS vs. Android, different NL capabilities, the comment that only problems in the Eclipse will be fixed in the BV14 doesn't exactly make sense (to me).

Unfortunately, dealers cannot always be trusted or, to be more forgiving, they may interpret the same information in different ways.  I say "follow the money".  Maybe your dealer is trying to get you to upgrade to an Eclipse?  Maybe my dealer is trying to sell me a soon to be obsolete TV?  It does seem like if the TV cannot do what it was advertised to do, then there should be some recourse... but laws are obviously different around the world.

I hope what you say is not so, but only time will tell.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Stan,

it should be very easy for your dealer to find out, that the Avant NG 75”/85” soon won’t be able to order.

There are only few items left.

To my knowledge there has been no talking of discontinuing the BV14 and the BV Horizon.........yet.

That said - every new tv from B&O will be made in cooperation with LG.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Bronze Member

Avant 75 is discontinued. Avant 55 & 85 are still available. BV14 is discontinued with only 40" available at present. Horizon - no plans to stop production. Effectively, we will soon be down to Eclipse and Horizon as I understand it...

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,036 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Dec 13 2017 9:11 PM

SHEFFIELD:

Avant 75 is discontinued. Avant 55 & 85 are still available. BV14 is discontinued with only 40" available at present. Horizon - no plans to stop production. Effectively, we will soon be down to Eclipse and Horizon as I understand it...

And how exactly is a dealer supposed to survive whilst selling such a heavily depleted range?  

Lee

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,455 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:32 PM

9 LEE:

SHEFFIELD:

And how exactly is a dealer supposed to survive whilst selling such a heavily depleted range?  

Lee

Who needs dealers? We've got tons of Pro Partners lining up to work with us. Really.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

SHEFFIELD:

Lee

There might be something new coming, perhaps ;-)

MM

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,796 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Dec 13 2017 10:50 PM

Millemissen:

Most dealers know what's coming at least 6 months in advance, often longer. Of course, something could be announced at CES in January, but usually dealers have some indication of what's coming, either/way. I remember when the Moment was announced, dealers knew months before a new audio system was coming.

I'm sure we'll see the Eclipse in new sizing, but I can't imagine we'll see brand new TVs with a new design. No point really.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
521 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) w5bno123 replied on Wed, Dec 13 2017 11:42 PM
Suggested by w5bno123
Millemissen:

MM

I should hope so, you only need to look at what is coming out of LG panel wise to see what will be adopted by B&O. I have seen B&O down to only two models in the past only to come back and surprise us all.
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
958 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:02 AM

w5bno123:

I should hope so, you only need to look at what is coming out of LG panel wise to see what will be adopted by B&O. I have seen B&O down to only two models in the past only to come back and surprise us all.

The only surprise will be how many, if any independent dealers are left.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

9 LEE:

Unfortunately, I agree.

Last week I drove quite a distance to a dealer I had left a large deposit with and a pair of Beolab speakers for a trade in against a new B&O tv (which, we now know was the Eclipse) and/or a Loewe model as a backup plan. We made this arrangement several months ago.

Due to so many reasons about the brand (all negative and as discussed in several threads on this forum) I decided to take back the speakers and my deposit for fear that the dealer might not even exist in the coming weeks, let alone months. This is so sad. I was going to hang on until CES 2018 but the more I thought about it, the closing/sale of so many dealers (including Bath where I live); Lee at Lifestyle AV closing; the disappointment of the Eclipse and many other products (for me) in recent years; products plagued with software problems; experimental products as pointed out above and of course the 100% negative feedback from customers on their very own website... it's a complete disaster in all honesty. The brand is just not what it was; miles away in fact - polar opposites. I have completely lost faith.

I don't know what the way forward is for B&O and I appreciate how challenging times are with technology changing quickly and the fact they are not a big player. I acknolwedge that, but in all honestly I have expected a lot more than their product efforts and customer service in recent years. They are way short of what (I thought) the brand once stood for. They continue to shoot themselves in the foot by publishing all the honest feedback customers are leaving and this shows me they simply don't care and are lost in some dreamworld assuming publicity like this isn't going to destroy the brand forever. It's bonkers in my opinion and I honestly - DO NOT GET IT!

Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
569 Posts
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Thu, Dec 14 2017 12:22 PM
SHEFFIELD:

I would imagine, given their price and construction, Eclipse and Horizon have the best margins for B&O and are the easiest (most cost-effective) to manufacture.

In a way it makes sense to cut the range to bare minimum, while the LG partnership takes shape.

B&O is in the survival mode.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,796 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Dec 14 2017 2:35 PM

KMA:

I would imagine, given their price and construction, Eclipse and Horizon have the best margins for B&O and are the easiest (most cost-effective) to manufacture.

Not forgetting all the post-sale issues they've experienced with the Android-based TVs. They must have replaced quite a few, sent engineers to solve issues and so on - that's a cost that needs to be accounted for and a cost they'll want to eliminate. Rather than fix the bugs, easier just to ditch the product that causes the issue in the first place.

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Brexit Island
143 Posts
Gold Member
It’s easier (and less harmful to your reputation) to fix the software /before/ giving it to your customers. They should have delayed and doubled down until it was done.
SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
257 Posts
Bronze Member

KMA:
SHEFFIELD:

In a way it makes sense to cut the range to bare minimum, while the LG partnership takes shape.

B&O is in the survival mode.

The margins on TVs are dreadful compared to speakers. I remember when we worked to a 40% gross margin on TVs, nothing like that these days...

Page 1 of 6 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL