Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 45 Replies | 4 Followers

PhilLondon
Top 25 Contributor
London
3,611 Posts
Bronze Member
PhilLondon posted on Tue, Dec 12 2017 4:44 PM
Hi all,

I heard the NL/ML converter was being discontinued. Is that true?

Philippe

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons. Other apps: ConsltThe Story Mouse

All Replies

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
546 Posts
Founder
frog replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 1:24 PM

Steve,

thanks for the info. Very useful. I’d be a bit concerned that the remote control buttons wouldn’t necessarily match the sources correctly (although I really haven’t looked into this) and maybe the default safest position is to have a MLC anyway.

Im still struggling to understand though why you would need more than one ML/NL converter in a system if the MLC was just bridging two networks, yet I see that some layouts have more than one. 

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
316 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 2:49 PM

Hi Steve, I have BV Eclipse Beolab 5and Beosound 5 in mainroom.in two linkrooms I have Beolab 3500. What I know is that to still be able to use my linkrooms I need an audiomaster which is Beosound 5. I have my beolab 5 connected directly to the Eclipse with a Almando powelinkswitch with powerlink from Tv to input 1and powerlink from Beosound 5 to input 2 (in the switch). Then I have ML from Beosound 5to the linkrooms. What I can see there is not a better solution than this. What do you think Steve?

Martin

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), New! Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,891 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Frog,

Yes, one issue from using a direct cable connection instead of the NL/ML Converter is that the source buttons may not always match the actual soruce being used.  However, I would personally see the c. £600 saving as being a worthwhile trade-off - this could potentially cover the cost of a pre-owned pair of Beolab speakers for a link room.....

Hi Martin,

I haven't tried the Almando switch myself so I can't comment on this.  However, if this works well and suits your needs then this is probably best left in place.  If you hadn't already purchased this then I would probably have suggested linking the Beomaster 5 digital output to the speakers and the Eclipse RJ45 output to the Powerlink input of the speakers, which should mean that the Almando switch may not be needed.  This will still give you music from the Beomaster 5 to the link rooms and both music and TV sound in the main room.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Ola Hansen
Not Ranked
Sweden
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Steve is the man!

Go Steve go!

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
316 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Sat, Dec 16 2017 10:56 PM

Hi Steve, All TVs after Beosystem 3 (bv avant, bv14, bv eclipse) will not forward the cd-command to the labs 5 which should open up the digital IN. Thats why I must use the beomaster5 cd-command data (thru powerlink cable directly from bm5) to the labs 5 in order to use the digital feed from bm5 to the labs5.

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), New! Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,891 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Martin,

That is an interesting point.  I had thought that setting the speakers to Option 1 (for a non-B&O audio system and a B&O TV in the same room) would resolve this....  I will do some testing and see how the speakers behave.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Beer_Baron
Not Ranked
Australia
56 Posts
Silver Member

I remember reading the manual where it said in option 1 it will automatically take coax input over analogue. Didn't realise you could still feed in Powerlink as well. Will the volume control still be via PL in option 1?

BV6-26, BV7-40, BL7.4, BL3, BL5, BS9000, BC1, ES1, Beo4, BeoPort

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
316 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Mon, Dec 18 2017 5:38 AM

Hi Beer Baron,

You can not feed labs5 with powerlink signal when they are in option 1. Powerlink only work in option 0. Thats why an Powerlinkswitch can be useful.

best regards

Martin

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
1,891 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks Martin,

The Beolab 5s seem to be able to take S/PDIF and Line inputs when in Option 1, so potentially the TV signal could be fed to the Line input instead of Powerlink.  Not ideal, but workable.  The other option could be the Powerlink switch, using the speakers in Option 0.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
106 Posts
Founder
Does anyone know if a NL/ML converter will pass Spotify Connect from an Essence and push it to a Masterlink network.

From what I read I don’t think it will but thought I’d check.

Peter

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
690 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Dec 20 2017 4:56 PM

Spotify can only be passed to other licensed Spotify products.  Since the NL/ML converter isn't licensed for Spotify, you cannot push Spotify to it. 

You can go in the other direction - if you have a Spotify streamer (e.g. Chromecast) connected to the AUX input of your ML audio / video master, this can be distributed into your NL network by the NL/ML converter since it is just "audio" - no one knows if it is coming from Spotify or not.

Stan

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
106 Posts
Founder
Hi Stan,

Thanks for the detailed response which is a great help.

Peter
beolion
Top 200 Contributor
433 Posts
Gold Member

Hi all

I assume that the delay box is also discontinued?

Also, I remember there was a thread some time ago explaining that there was an echo when playing the same source on both NL and ML at the same time, but I cannot find that thread.

Can someone please shortly explain the downside(s) or limitation when integrating NL with ML?

Before I go out and buy a NL/ML converter and a delay box.

Thanks.

Leo

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
4,202 Posts
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sat, Dec 23 2017 8:11 AM

I have one for sale

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,439 Posts
Bronze Member

beolion:

Also, I remember there was a thread some time ago explaining that there was an echo when playing the same source on both NL and ML at the same time, but I cannot find that thread.

Is it this one, that you mean?

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/6073/135722.aspx#135722

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 3 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL