Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Reliability issues with older Beolab 9s?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 0 Followers

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,122 Posts
Founder
h1npw posted on Sun, Dec 3 2017 12:54 PM

I'm thinking of buying a ten year old pair. Has anyone had any issues with ones of this age (or younger, for that matter)?

Cheers

Nigel

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,147 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Dec 3 2017 2:58 PM

The tweeters are known to blow, as are the midrange drivers. Apart from that I don't know of any other common faults.

Lee

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
4,097 Posts
Bronze Member
I have a 10 year old pair that were store demos. Used daily up until 18 months ago when I upgraded to 20s. I still have the 9s in another room where they are used occasionally.

Have had no problems with them.

Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

h1npw
Top 75 Contributor
West Bridgford, Nottingham.
1,122 Posts
Founder
h1npw replied on Sun, Dec 3 2017 4:57 PM

Thanks Lee. Any idea of ball park replacement costs?

Cheers

Nigel

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member
Beautiful speakers, biggest worry is the ongoing availability of spares, particularly the pcbs.

I know of at least two people with Beolab 1s who are rendered unrepairable by dealers saying no spares available.

So negotiate hard on price!

You’ll enjoy the speakers for sure.
olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

StUrrock:
Beautiful speakers, biggest worry is the ongoing availability of spares, particularly the pcbs.

I know of at least two people with Beolab 1s who are rendered unrepairable by dealers saying no spares available.

So negotiate hard on price!

You’ll enjoy the speakers for sure.

there are repair centers who are able to repair beolab 1. A dealer from the south east of france has made repaired two pairs of beolab 1 recently. There are techs more capable than others.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,147 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Dec 3 2017 10:38 PM

StUrrock:
Beautiful speakers, biggest worry is the ongoing availability of spares....

And if this is the norm going forward, how is anyone going to be able to justify a B&O purchase as a "long term investment" ?

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member
Could we have their contact details please?
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
690 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Dec 4 2017 4:17 AM
9 LEE:

And if this is the norm going forward, how is anyone going to be able to justify a B&O purchase as a "long term investment" ?

This has always been a strong reason to like the brand. I was able to get my Bs5 and Bv8-40 fixed this past month. The repair center was surprised about the Bv8 - out of production for a few years and never very popular (especially in the us).

This is one of my worries about buying an Eclipse - LG changes their TVs every year. Is B&O going to stock a bunch of 2017 screens for spare parts? I hope they don’t take the BeoPlay disposable products path (like most other consumer electronics).
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL