Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BG1800 "spring problem"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member
Aad Jansse posted on Fri, Dec 1 2017 2:09 PM

Among the  various projects in my "Work in Progress" cabinet I have a case with a BG1800, which did not allow the tonearm to lower after it had moved to the edge of the LP. It turned out that a little ridge of a part of the tonearm mechanism was almost broken off. See picture 1 (arrow a).

It was quite a jobb to get access to the this defected part (unsolder the thin wires from the tonearm, glueing the broken piece back, etc) with no other result that the problem of lowering the tone arm still persisted, probably also caused by alittle spring that I could not determine as to the location of it.the little *** is pictured on pic 2.

Is anybody familiar with the BG1800 technique who can help me with this?

 


All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,590 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator

In the photo, the lift/lower lever is not in its correct place in the two holders.

The spring: You refer to photo number two but you only posted one.

Martin

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

The first photo, I forgot to mention, shows the situation before the repair: after the fixing I put the l/l lever into the two holders including the placing of the appropriate spring..

Here is the second photo (I could not add the simultaniously)

On top of all this the counterbalance weight does not look/work OK

Aad


Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,590 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator

Can you tell, if the lever operates (tilts slightly) when lift/lowering?

The spring could be the one going from the floating chassis to a tab on the cabinet, apprx under the counterweight.

Martin

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

I'll check it out tomorrow

( by the way, although I apreciate very much your responses to my problem messages I regret a bit that there are no more forum inserts from other beo- adepts, they either are not  involved in similar problems or they simply are not interested ( any more) .

Aad

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,590 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator

It's clear that we have a lot of members here for gaining rather than sharing.

And it's quite alright for a forum, I suppose, that readers and surfers pass by with nothing to share or add and without dropping a note.

I read other foras too, also ones I am not a member of, just to gain knowledge.

But there are loads of people with an interest in vintage B&O. A growing crowd.

Only their posts are lacking.

But I get more and more emails.

 

Martin

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

It is a comforting thought then that there is a growing crowd.

Aad

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
313 Posts
ONLINE
Bronze Member

I made new hinges out of metal (aluminium)

 

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

Back after a long while to my Beogram 1800.

This thing is causing problems all the time; after some repair work I am facing now an almost uncurable pain in the ....:It turned out that in trying to put the tone arm parts in place I broke off the tiny pin which should hold the end of the long spring in place, here not visible on the picture (which was taken before takin everything apart.)

I tried to : "install" a substitute pin., but now the tone arm does not move properly

Consequently I will put the BG aside: I have little hope that I will be able to play records again in this deck.


Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,590 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Dillen replied on Wed, Apr 25 2018 6:30 PM

Can't you glue in a small piece of stiff thread?
A few mm of a paperclip perhaps?

Martin 

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

That is what I did  already: I tied a piece of paperclip with a copper wire on the tip of my soldering iron and burnt  a hole in the tiny knob where the original pin was situated; then with a lot of effort managed to get that plastic end of the long spring over it and although looks functioning ok when the motor is started the tone arm acts as described in my previous post. One problem is that I can not exacrly see why because in order to see what happens there one has to remove the top plate with the switch and the other connector, so the tone arm mechanics can not be watch in operation. 

I will get back to the job after this weekend holiday.

Regards

Aad

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
10,590 Posts
OFFLINE
Founder
Moderator
Dillen replied on Thu, Apr 26 2018 2:52 PM

A brief short between pins 1 and 4 I think (pin2 is not installed) on the connector for the front panel, will activate play.

Martin

Aad Jansse
Top 500 Contributor
Rotterdam (Neth)
109 Posts
OFFLINE
Silver Member

In order to finalize this thread I have the sad news that I have all of this BG1800 dumpted on the scrap heap.

Although I worked very carefully I was able to tear the tiny wires (thin as a human hair) off the cartridge/tonearm and there was no way to undo this.

So I'd better go on with other Beogram

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL