rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 26 Replies | 0 Followers

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member
simon8201 posted on Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:00 PM

Just recently my RF 32 inch Avant has started to show a mass of diagonal white lines when a very dark scene is on the screen. I'm assuming this is a portent of doom as far as the tube goes! Does anyone know whether B&O still has tubes and if so would the cost be anything like sensible (sub £1000?)

I do love my avant and have resisted the flat screen LCD/plasma thus far but maybe it's nearing the time to go the modern way!

Apart from the diagonal lines my Avant still has a beautiful picture,sound and still looks like a piece of art. Is it worth giving it a second chance?!

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by MediaBobNY

Thanks ipaul. yes, they are white and only show on a black screen, for instance scene changes in a movie. they run across the whole screen diagonally. Is this an adjustable thing for an engineer who knows what he's up to? I suspect the B&O shop might tell me otherwise!

All Replies

Nick
Top 150 Contributor
Nottingham
785 Posts
Bronze Member
Nick replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:41 PM

its possible its going to be less than £1000, but not by loads!  Its best to ad a few quid and buy a bv7 or bv5

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
5,423 Posts
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 7:42 PM

My friend and member Ipaul has new Avant tubes and is an expert on repairing Avants.

Not sure if it's a 28" or 32" tube. Ask him... 

Brengen & Ophalen

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member

Wouldn't want a BV7 and I think a BV5 is a bit old and a bit big for my little cottage. To be honest the Avant is perfect as it has a dvd player built in and still has a great picture, despite the white lines. I suppose I could invest in another second hand avant but I do like to get things repaired rather than just throwing them away!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,976 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:34 PM

If it suits you, I would do just that. Mine is still my favourite TV. The only thing is, it will probably be cheaper to simply get another Avant rather than fix this one. I have just bought a BV3 to replace an LX6000 which had finally started misbehaving badly. Links nicely with the rest of my house system. I also have a BV5 as well though - excellent TV with a reasonable picture and sound much the same as the Avant - i.e. very good! It is a bit big though, I grant you.

Peter

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member

Well, I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of options! Spending £1000 on a television that cost me £700 three years ago doesn't make a lot of sense if you look at it logically, but then I run a couple of old cars and I'm sure I've spent their value on repairs many times over!

So, I think I might either get another Avant if I can find a good one (Lee?!) or I might consider a Beoplay V1 although that presumably would also mean a new Sky box and Dvd player plus something to put it on! I'm one of those strange ones who actually likes the design of the V1!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,976 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 11:44 AM

Have a listen first! The BV10 has nothing like the sound of the Avant - I have not heard the V1.

Peter

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 1:32 PM

simon8201:

Just recently my RF 32 inch Avant has started to show a mass of diagonal white lines when a very dark scene is on the screen. I'm assuming this is a portent of doom as far as the tube goes! Does anyone know whether B&O still has tubes and if so would the cost be anything like sensible (sub £1000?)

I do love my avant and have resisted the flat screen LCD/plasma thus far but maybe it's nearing the time to go the modern way!

Apart from the diagonal lines my Avant still has a beautiful picture,sound and still looks like a piece of art. Is it worth giving it a second chance?!

Mine Avant 28 VHS did just that (and shall it be 2 white lines, it may be worth retune AV, Whistle just a thought), nevertheless I've now donated the one to charity and taking out my second unit from storage - not sure about you, but in my case it will take some serious convincing to make me part with this piece of beauty (not to mention that, having surround system linked to it - hardly ever feel the need use it - sound it produces is stunning) and replace it with modern age one..........

Also living in small space and LCD would appear more adequate, but try to explain it to the heart (mine is not good anyway Wink)

all the best

bob

Don't worry - be Happy

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member

Bob, pretty sure it's the tube as there are multiple diagonal white lines all over the screen when a dark scene comes on. Otherwise the set is perfect-sharp picture, good colour etc. Anyway, may have a pop into Exeter to have a look at a V1 and see if that's the way I want to go. Can't really afford it at the moment though!

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 4:58 PM

Yeah sound like it, but it may be other reason within picture processing modules (have TV engineer look at it - perhaps can ax in Exeter while there ;)

and don't I know the "cannot afford" just to well.

Just paid my first ever parking ticket for motorbike on a pavement not a road Super Angry

bob

p.s. where about are you from than (neighbour) ;)

simon8201:

Bob, pretty sure it's the tube as there are multiple diagonal white lines all over the screen when a dark scene comes on. Otherwise the set is perfect-sharp picture, good colour etc. Anyway, may have a pop into Exeter to have a look at a V1 and see if that's the way I want to go. Can't really afford it at the moment though!

Don't worry - be Happy

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member

I'm from Exeter but live out in the wilds in Lapford!

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
1,378 Posts
Gold Member

simon8201:
Bob, pretty sure it's the tube as there are multiple diagonal white lines all over the screen when a dark scene comes on.

Yep - it is sign of wear in the tube. Some say that is possible to adjust some trimmers and make the lines disappear (or at least less visible) - but they will come again.
Try googling 'CRT flyback lines'. That'll explain it.

ipaul
Top 200 Contributor
422 Posts
Founder
ipaul replied on Mon, Oct 1 2012 10:41 PM

Simon, double check if  we're talking about white (!) lines, if this is the case and not either red/green/blue i doubt that it is the tube !

If the lines are really white, it may well have something to do with an unstable G2 potmeter or something in  that area...

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
46 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by MediaBobNY

Thanks ipaul. yes, they are white and only show on a black screen, for instance scene changes in a movie. they run across the whole screen diagonally. Is this an adjustable thing for an engineer who knows what he's up to? I suspect the B&O shop might tell me otherwise!

Bob
Top 200 Contributor
Charente, France
418 Posts
Bronze Member
Bob replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 11:24 AM

Thanks, I'm from Broadclyst's wilds (nowhere near civilization)

b

simon8201:

I'm from Exeter but live out in the wilds in Lapford!

Don't worry - be Happy

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL