rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 1 Follower

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member
beojeff posted on Sat, Nov 4 2017 8:04 PM

I'm trying to screw in the 2 data pins for the DIN datalink cable of a beogram turntable. I'm finding this impossible even with a magnetized jeweler's precision screwdriver. It's impossible to hold the pins straight while screwing them in. Is there some ideal way to do this? Do you somehow remove the outside of the plug so that you can remove the metal shield that's around the pins in order to hold the pin with your fingers to screw it in?

All Replies

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder

If the groove on the pin is too wide for the screwdriver blade to "bite and hold", you can sandwich a piece of paper or two in between.
Alternatively, a small piece of tape to hold the pin to the screwdriver blade or a very small dab of
contact glue or "gorilla snot - you know the sticky-peel-off-again stuff" (that would have be removed afterwards, obviously).

I do this a lot so, even if I can start most pins on the thread with two fingers, I have made a dedicated screwdriver for this task with
a custom thickness blade.

Martin

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks, Martin. So you find that you can start the pin with your fingers even with the metal shield? I was wondering if the metal shield (I'm probably using the wrong term -- I'm not familiar with cable wiring) can be removed to make it easier to grasp and control the pins. I see a white plastic part in the black plug that I think you push in or something in order to be able to pull back the "boot" (I think that's what it's called) but I'm afraid to try.

Are you using a 1 mm screwdriver?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Nov 4 2017 10:10 PM

With two fingers and without dismantling anything, yes.
I think it was originally a 1½ or perhaps a 2mm screwdriver but it was machined down a bit to an exact fit.

Martin

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

If I were to try dismantling, do I do something with the little white plastic part in order to be able to pull back the black cover? The white part has a recessed indentation that looks like maybe it's for pushing in with a screwdriver? I tried to upload a photo but can't get the iOS app to upload a photo.

Also, I took the 2 pins from an unused BeoCord 4500. I'm hoping that they would be the same as what would go into the cable of a BeoGram 3000.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
12,922 Posts
Founder

You don't have to open the plug to fit the datalink pins. It's far too much work.
But if you must... Insert a thin screwdriver between the outer cover and the metal shield where the "indentation" is, to make a path for it, when you
push the outer cover back onto the cable.
Desolder the grounding wire from the metal shield.
Release the two wide white claws (one each side) while pushing the innards out of the metal shield.

The pins are the same (and you only need one per datalink product).

Martin

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

Oh. I didn't know that the metal shield would have to be soldered. I was hoping I could just pull it back to be able to have better access to the pins. I just cannot seem to keep a firm enough grip on the pin to screw it in. Argh.

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,862 Posts
Bronze Member

I believe I've found the problem. In comparing the BeoGram 3000 cable with the BeoCord 4500 cable, I see that the BeoCord 4500 cable has deep holes for the 2 pins that the BeoGram does not. It seems that perhaps the person who had the BeoGram before I did cut the pins flush with the base. I guess I'll have to have my B&O repair guy attach a new cable.

Thanks for your help, Martin.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
4,187 Posts
Bronze Member

Close the slot in the pin slightly with a pair of pliers and wedge the pin on the screwdriver!

Regards Graham

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

Reviving an old thread as I have a similar challenge.  I have a BC 9500 and a BG 3000 connected.  My BG 3000 lacks the two DataLink pins. Fortunately,  I have a spare B&O phono cable with all 7 pins, including the two DL pins that have a tiny cleft/slot in the flat head. So I think I have the parts needed; I just have two unscrew the pins from the spare cable.

My question: on my BG 3000, are both pins required?  It looks challenging to screw in just one pin; doubly challenging for two?  If only one pin is needed, which one and how do 'count' the pin numbers around the circle?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,351 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Oct 16 2019 9:43 AM

Have a look at the audio aux link diagram at the foot of this page:

https://www.beoworld.org/beotech/misc2.htm#Audio Aux Link / PowerLink connections

I am 99% sure that the diagrams show the view from below the pins (i.e outside the connector)

Hence it would seem that only pin 6 is needed!

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply!  I'd never have found that diagram on my own.

[Lack of] Progress update: unscrewed a single pin from the spare cable. Surprisingly was able to screw it into pin hole 6 on the BG cable.  Tested it both via a Beo4 as well as via the glass keyboard of the BC 9500, but alas, no love. 

It's too dark here now to attempt the second pin; perhaps tomorrow.  Thanks again.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
217 Posts
Bronze Member

[Next day]  Success.

I screwed in pin 7, and the Data began Linking.  I'm unable to say whether the function requires both pins, or if pin 7 alone enables the voltage transfer.  For those who face the same issue in the future, maybe try pin 7 first, test it, then pin 6 if required. 

Thanks again, Guy, for the response.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
7,356 Posts
Gold Member

It needs only one of the pins - which one, that depends on whether the Beogram is a model with builtin RIAA preamplifier, or not.

Glad you got it working!

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL