rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 Posted: Mon, Oct 9 2017 9:58 PM
For years I have had myBv7-55 in my bay window.

Today I moved house and it looks to tall and overpowering in the window.

Might have to put it in a corner which is weird and change my entire surround setup placement.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,289
Bronze Member

How about a lower stand (and a BL 7-1/2/6)?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,289
Bronze Member

Like this or with a smaller/less wide BL7 as center:

(Click the pic)

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Well my plan was an avant 75 but that would overpower this room perhaps

Maybe to the left of the bay angled across the first window with the lab9’s either side.

Completely unsure of layout now and moving a BV7-55 is not an easy task.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,175
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Oct 9 2017 11:13 PM

Something lower to the floor like an 11-55 on a MFS would look a lot less imposing.  I have one for sale (Mk2 - WISA), as well as my Avant 75!!

An Avant 75 would dominate the room, for sure.. but some people like that!

Lee

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,501
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 4:52 AM

I agree the -55 is dominating in the bay. Any chance it could go on the wall opposite the couch ?

One great BV !

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 583
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 4:59 AM

1) It would bother me that the TV is directly in front of a radiant hot-water heating panel.  Moving it to a lower stand will block even more of the panel! Never mind that heat in the room will be compromised, expect that your TV will overheat!  That kind of panel sometimes does have a front and back with air convection spacers inbetween, but it is still basically a *radiator* out the front side.  (Maybe I worry too much, but I have a BeoVision 10 that overheats in Florida when hung flush to the wall, and must be pulled away, despite its up/down venting slots.)  You say you had your system in a bay window before, so maybe you already have good experience with a similar heating setup?

2) Maybe it's temporary, but you already have located the sofa to watch on the opposite wall!  I would take the TV out of the bay window and put it where the previous owner clearly intended it to go, given the existing electrical receptacles & CATV poke-thrus.  But then you have the problem of slap-echoes across such a narrow room, thus probably don't want to have your external speakers whipping up a storm of volume.  

Humph.  Sorry to sound so negative, especially when you're just moving in to a new place, which is always exciting.  But I would move my system to the living room, which presumably has better proportions than this small-ish den.  The system is certainly pretty enough...

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,539
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 8:14 AM
trackbeo:

But I would move my system to the living room, which presumably has better proportions than this small-ish den.

Ha. I can't speak directly for Sean but In the U.k. this is often the size of a living room, not a den!
Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Morning

Yeah the living room is larger than we had before.

You are right it needs to go to the left of the bay where all of the cables are.

I used to have a cabinet full of set to top boxes but might need to get some brackets from STB for this.

I think I will reserve all judgement until after a few weeks of living with it.

Defiantly going to be an avant which is smaller as it has less of a surround.

Jury is out and I need to find a tape measure which is somewhere in all of these boxes.

Maybe the avant 75 or 55 or 11-55 who knows.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,175
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 8:36 AM

Duels:
trackbeo:

But I would move my system to the living room, which presumably has better proportions than this small-ish den.

Ha. I can't speak directly for Sean but In the U.k. this is often the size of a living room, not a den!

I was thinking exactly the same!  That's a normal sized UK lounge!! Geeked

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 583
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 2:59 PM

9 LEE:
I was thinking exactly the same!  That's a normal sized UK lounge!! Geeked

Oops, USA-centric (and especially Florida-centric where square footage is cheap) to assume that wasn't the living room... The corollary is that here, by comparison B&O equipment is so expensive that anybody who bought B&O would have large & fancy digs to play it in.  (All the old B&O catalogs here showed the equipment in beautifully-restored century-old Amsterdam-merchant dike-lofts...)

The other thing I didn't think of, because it rarely happens here in the USA, is swapping out equipment at a dealer.  Sean, if you're really going to do that, and considering an Avant as you say, then my concern as to overheating would go away with their dual-axis moving stand.  It would still block the radiator when parked against the wall but at least it would spin out and away when turned on, thus not overheating itself.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,539
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 3:15 PM
trackbeo:

All the old B&O catalogs here showed the equipment in beautifully-restored century-old Amsterdam-merchant dike-lofts...

Yeah, we all live in those. Just like you all live in six story brownstones Wink
Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 3:32 PM

Duels:
trackbeo:

All the old B&O catalogs here showed the equipment in beautifully-restored century-old Amsterdam-merchant dike-lofts...

Yeah, we all live in those. Just like you all live in six story brownstones Wink

Hey now... I live in a little old farm house over in the states...  I just happen to be surrounded by those big brick houses...

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Much improved by moving it to the left.

All cables to be routed on the right in some form of stb shelf

This way the TV keeps a no wires look.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,539
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 4:44 PM
Seanie_230:

Agreed. Big Smile
trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 583
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 5:13 PM

Seanie_230:
All cables to be routed on the right in some form of stb shelf.  This way the TV keeps a no wires look.
You have more than just a single cable, but since it's a new-to-you place and looks like new carpeting, may I point out a hack I used once?  Typical wall-to-wall carpet is installed using "tackless" installation strips, which are just 1/4"-3/8" thick strips of wood with upturned spikes in them, nailed about 1/4" from the wall.  Turns out there's just enough room behind them to run a speaker cable or a CATV lead, provided you aren't using huge diameter cables.  And there's just enough play in the carpet to pull it up and push it back down friction-fit against the baseboard (though you lose the tuck down toward the wall).  Then you can also fish directly to the CATV in-wall box (n.b. *not* for high voltage wires) by knifing a small access channel *thru* the tackless strip -- and using a tool named "Base-Boar-Zit", to blind-cut the 90-degree curving hole invisibly from underneath the baseboard up into the wall!  Yes, you can also slit the pad and punch a hole in the carpet further out in the room, but the key to invisibility is that Base-Boar-Zit, so you don't have a cable dangling up the wall.  Then you can blank-cover the boxes and paint them sage to match your walls.   Just a thought...  (Oh, I needed a carpet installer's knee-kick stretcher tool too, because I dislodged the wall-to-wall from the tackless.)  (P.S.  Yes, I know you could just slap on Wiremold and paint it to match, but the beauty of the equipment demands better. :-)

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Thanks all

Trackbeo I am going to run some white trunking very carefully cut with the angles needed directly under the window sill which hangs over the wall about an inch and a half.

It can right under it all the way from the left to the “new cabinet” on the right.

In that trunking will Be SkyQ double cable, multiple hdmi cables, powerlink x2, IR blasters, power.

Will be a real smart install and future prof.

Sean

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 423
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:18 PM

Such a cool setup seanie, really like it!!

Beoplay A2

Brian
Top 500 Contributor
London/Aarhus
Posts 214
Bronze Member
Brian replied on Wed, Oct 11 2017 10:59 AM

What are you asking for the 11-55 Lee? Aluminium/black fret?

PM me or Matt has my mobile number.

Cheers

b

B

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 2,393
Gold Member
Guy replied on Wed, Oct 11 2017 11:15 AM

Seanie_230:

All cables to be routed on the right in some form of stb shelf

This way the TV keeps a no wires look.

I'll be devil's advocate and say I preferred it in the bay window, but then I like symmetry! Smile

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member

I need some trunking that has external corners to run directly under the window sill. Any idea’s Beoteam ?

Also need a nice tall cabinet to put STB in and perhaps with a draw at the bottom for power cables to hide in.

I think cablewise inside the trunking

2xsky

2/3 X HDMI

1xIR

3x mains

1xML

2xEthernet

So perhaps 40mm x 40mm

Sean

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

trackbeo
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 583
Bronze Member
trackbeo replied on Thu, Oct 12 2017 10:54 AM

Alas, the only thing I know of is Wiremold (Legrand.co.uk).  The 800 or 2300 series (e.g.) have external, internal, and flat elbow covers, for 90-degree turns only; for shallow angles like inside your bay, I think one just miter-cuts and butts it together.  These may be too small to accommodate you (2300 divided is required to run mains) but they make a huge variety of large (ugly) raceways, in both metal and PVC.  

Maybe hollowed-out baseboard trim to match your existing?  Normally I'd say use a flexible bell-hanger's bit to keep it all inside the wall!  But (a) running thru an exterior wall (especially with all the blocking and a heater run under bay windows) is always fraught, and (b) terminating HDMI is impossible.  (If there's a cellar, you're golden for an easy in-wall run down and then back up through the sole plates!  But presumably not, else you would already have done that.  Heh, here in Florida we don't have basements either.)

Hope someone else here offers you a better idea! 

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,501
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Thu, Oct 12 2017 11:49 AM

Sean in a house of that age theres bound to be floor boards that have been lifted. If there is lift them again and fish the cable across room. Preferably in a large plastic tube and leave a few fish wires.  Then take the cables up behind the skirting. At a later stage when you can always chase the walls and bury the cables. The long way home .... but its the right way !

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
Posts 2,393
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Oct 12 2017 12:02 PM

^ The house looks new-ish to me!  Floors likely to be concrete or large immovable sheets of MDF!

Seanie_230
Top 50 Contributor
UK
Posts 2,226
Bronze Member
Seanie_230 replied on Mon, Oct 23 2017 10:02 PM

Hay all

Upgrading to an Avant MK1 55 on Sunday and trading in my BV7-55 especially as the BV7 takes up so much room.

Was going to put the Avant in the same place as the 7 but had a brain wave today and I am thinking of actually getting the motorised Wall mount and having it in it’s resting position flat against the wall with a lovely TV unit under it to house the cables and sky box etc.

This can then swing outwards into the room when powered on, I am not sure if this is called left hinged or right hinges.

I think this will look really cool, I can have the lab9’s in their perm place and the telly comes to sit in between them when switched on.

Think I have found the solution. 

Also my lab9’s will be moved to behind where I am sitting now for the surround sound.

I might buy one extra lab6000 for the other corner so If I sit on the other sofa I can still be in the middle of the surround.

The sun comes through the window and makes TV viewing difficult so I am thinking Lutron blinds too.

Might need an installer for the wall bracket to make sure it’s perfect.

Getting there slowly.

Eclipse 65
V1-32
Beosound M5
Essence MK2
BLI

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL