rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 2 Followers

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Little Ann, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,130
Founder
Keith Saunders Posted: Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:34 AM

This page will be updated when the status of any of the documented known issues below changes.

Background

Over the last few months (April to September 2017) I have made a large number of changes to the Beoworld web site and forum to fix software bugs particularly in the forum and created new functionality such as the Beoworld Members Portal.

The Beoworld web Site and Forums have been moved to a new and more powerful server running Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8.5. The forums databases have been rebuilt and indexed which has increased the speed by at least 50%. The servers now have a combined disk space of 20TB meaning 20,000 GB

Security remains a major focus and the Beoworld servers are protected by two enterprise firewalls along with a separate DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack protection. Our security protection is formally rated as "A" see below

Known Current Issues

• Members using Safari (any version) typically on a Mac cannot use the "more" pull down or insert images when writing a new post unless they change the "User Agent" via the "Develop Menu" within Safari. If the member changes the "User Agent" to any other agent everything works correctly. Whilst I have not done an in depth investigation into this problem it appears to be that Safari does not correctly implement the international standards, hence why all other browsers do not have this problem.
  • When the Microsoft Bing bot search engine crawls the Forum it causes several "Unhandled Exceptions" on the forum and the forum restarts. Users do not see these errors and the only impact is that the forum restarts which typically takes 15 seconds. It happens because Bing uses illegal http commands on the forum. Typically happens 2-3 times per 24 hours. Requests to Bing to stop crawling using these commands are ignored. Therefore I may in the future block all Bing access requests.
  • Conversation messages do not put the correct entry in the subject field most of the time.
  • The Beoworld web site does not have a "site.xml" mapping used by Google which allows it's bot to index pages more effectively.
  • The background search task intermittently fails trying to write a NULL character into the database. There should not be any NULL characters in a search. Does not affect users, its just logged as an error.
  • Spammers are trying to access port 3389 (RDP) with thousands of requests per minute. IP addresses being added to firewall as they happen.

If you notice something which is not working correctly, then please do let me know..

Regards Keith....

Fansastic
Top 500 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 194
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 6:33 PM

Dear Keith,

Since a few days I encounter problems loading content in the beoworld app. Only the first vew messages load and I cannot post anymore messages.

Is there a problem you are aware of? I use the iOS app on iphone x.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Serge

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

The only thing that has recently changed is the "Security Certificate" which is now an "Enhanced Security Certificate" meaning you will note next to theURL in most browsers its green and of course it starts with HTTPS://

I posted this from an IOS PC not an iPhone because I do not own one

Regards Keith....

tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Founder
tobeyone replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 7:43 PM

It’s the app that is the problem not the website.........

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
Posts 649
Gold Member
lausvi replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 8:32 PM

Since about yesterday or so links to the forums (links in forum notification emails, google results to forum threads) don't work anymore but forward to the forum front page.

lausvi
Top 150 Contributor
Helsinki - Finland
Posts 649
Gold Member
lausvi replied on Mon, Jan 29 2018 8:33 PM

Also after posting this I was forwarded back to the main forums page, also edit won't work (goes to error page).

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,072
Bronze Member

lausvi:

Since about yesterday or so links to the forums (links in forum notification emails, google results to forum threads) don't work anymore but forward to the forum front page.

Just tried that - with same result!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,072
Bronze Member

lausvi:

Also after posting this I was forwarded back to the main forums page,

This also just right now.

(I am using Safari on an iPad, latest sw).

MM

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 8:14 AM

same phenomenon here.

I changedall my links from http:// to https:// and all is well again.

hmmmmm.

hx

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

hemenex:

same phenomenon here.

I changedall my links from http:// to https:// and all is well again.

hmmmmm.

Caused by the automatic redirect which I have corrected, I think,

All web addresses now redirect to an URL starting HTTPS://

Regards Keith....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,072
Bronze Member

Right now ——

clicking a forum in all forums (for example the nordic) brings me to the Home site, the one with all activities (and not to the wanted sub forum).

Tried a couple of times now with the same result.

Kind of odd ;-(

MM

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

Millemissen:
clicking a forum in all forums (for example the nordic) brings me to the Home site, the one with all activities (and not to the wanted sub forum).

Interesting, if I click on Nordic, I get Nordic as expected. I have made a change

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

Millemissen:

Right now ——

Kind of odd ;-(

MM

Can you please try again. I have made some changes to the automatic redirecting code

Regards Keith....

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Silver Member

... and the links to the pics posted in the threads seems to disappeared too  Sad

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

the_o_master:

... and the links to the pics posted in the threads seems to disappeared too  Sad

I don't see any broken links from pictures posted. Can you please post a link to an example?

Regards Keith....

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 798
Silver Member

I looked today to one of my older post and the pictures were gone. Now I looked again and there are visible again. Maybe it was only an issue with my browser... Anyhow, no problem anymore.Thanks Keith!

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 11,072
Bronze Member

Keith Saunders:

Millemissen:

Right now ——

Kind of odd ;-(

MM

Can you please try again. I have made some changes to the automatic redirecting code

Now it works again ;-)

Thanks,

Peter Pan wrote to me this morning and asked, if I also had this issue - so not just me.

I’ll give a feedback later, if it is ok with him now, too.

MM

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 2:11 PM

well, it works - sort of...

I can't edit my post above, it takes me to the "The FORUM, BLOGS, MEDIA & WIKIS are currently unavailable" page.

And let's see where I'm going to land on posting this

hx

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 2:13 PM

ok, posting went well, landing back here.

editing still the same "unavailable" page

hx

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

hemenex:

editing still the same "unavailable" page

hx

I don't see this as I can edit any page without problems.

Can you please send me or post a screen shot of unavailable page including teh header showing teh URL

Regards Keith....

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 3:02 PM

here it is:

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 3:10 PM

or should have been there Sad

pasted printscreen in here shows in "compose" but disappears in "Preview"

so here uploaded:

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

That is the "Catch all" error page not an unavailable page.

What was the URL you were going to when you got the error?

Regards Keith....

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 3:17 PM

Keith Saunders:
What was the URL you were going to when you got the error?

clicking on "more" in one of my own posts and selecting "edit" brings me there...

Keith using more then Edit to add this line using Firefox

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

hemenex:
clicking on "more" in one of my own posts and selecting "edit" brings me there...

When you are on the post you wish to edit can you please press the "Refresh" button on your browser and then try edit again

Regards Keith....

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 3:28 PM

same.

I even logged out and then in again as I remember you sometimes recommend this.

BTW: using Firefox 52.6.0

Nope.

Using Edit

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

I have edited two of your posts with Firefox without error. I am using Firefox version shown below..

Can you please try using another browser such as Chrome

Regards Keith....

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 4:05 PM

no other browser installed.

Testwise allowed all cookies - no change.

But probably a problem of my XP and/or Vista as it's no longer supported.

Looks like my own problem; just ignore it further; I can live with adding instead of editing Wink

Thanks,

hx

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 414
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 5:12 PM

Dear all,

I would be of opinion that there still is some sort of issue with both website forum as on app.

Older posts appear as new, H8i & H9i topic dissapeared and on the app the forum topics are listed repeatedly.

On the app I wasn't able to post just now.

I am on FF on my PC but site looks similar on Chrome. On IOS I have 11.1.2 and already twice deleted and reinstalled the app.

All the best with resolving, I wish I could help but I can't :-( that would make thing really worse.

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

The Beoworld App was not created by Beoworld, but Phillip, the creator is currently doing an update as he stated in the other thread HERE

Using Firefox on your PC should work without problems, but I will look again at the H8i & H9i topic you highlighted

Regards Keith....

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 414
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Tue, Jan 30 2018 5:35 PM

Thanks Keith,

I am aware that Beoworld App is not Beoworlds, so thanks for pointing me to Philips thread.

Another thing is that older topics have been assigned new dates, or am I talking rubbish now. Tuckers Thread about Beosound 8 problem is now dated January 29, but wasn't that posted long time ago? The whole order of topics just seems a bit odd. Could it be that many (maybe ALL) topics have been assigned new dates?

A final request, in the header (subject) can you add January 2018 please?

Thanks again Keith for all the work done, it is really appreciated.

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 544
Founder
hemenex replied on Sat, Feb 24 2018 9:32 AM

Keith,

whatever you did - now I can edit my post in the BM4400-thread.

Still not the above one.

Never mind, seems to have disappeared in the open...

Thanks,

hx

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,205
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Jun 24 2018 8:37 AM

Keith Saunders:
If you notice something which is not working correctly, then please do let me know..

Hi Keith,

I noticed this in the adress bar:

in the list of threads, the page is secure (image of a padlock is at the beginning of the line)

when I open a thread (not all sub-forums), the page isn't secured anymore

Examples:

OK : Bang & Olufsen 1.9 beta

NOK : Flash your B&O - new thread!

I tried with Edge on W10 and Chrome (both at the latest version)

Bye

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

Where a member posts an image which is on another site, then that part is no longer secure.

Had the member uploaded the image to Beoworld then that thread would remain secure.

I could force members to upload images to Beoworld only, but I decided not to do that as there were so many images hosted outside of Beoworld.

Keith..

Regards Keith....

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,205
Gold Member
CB replied on Sun, Jun 24 2018 1:33 PM
Thanks for this very clear explanation Smile
Christian Leicht
Not Ranked
Aarhus, Denmark
Posts 46
Silver Member

I have a suggestion. This website should be responsive for a better mobile experience.

I would gladly help developer it since i have many years experience. 

Kind Regards,

Christian Leicht

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,187
Founder
Christian Leicht:

I have a suggestion. This website should be responsive for a better mobile experience.

Have you tried the BeoWorld App Philippe donated 💕 to us all ?

BeoNut since '75

Christian Leicht
Not Ranked
Aarhus, Denmark
Posts 46
Silver Member

elephant:
Christian Leicht:

Have you tried the BeoWorld App Philippe donated 💕 to us all ?

Well, no. I am a happy Android user ;) Furthermore it should not be necessary with a dedicated forum app. A responsive version of the website would be adequate and it would make development easier and faster.

It is nonsense to use time to develop and maintain multiple apps and a website when a responsive website is enough. 

Kind Regards,

Christian Leicht

Christian Leicht
Not Ranked
Aarhus, Denmark
Posts 46
Silver Member

The only time an app which contains a copy of a website is relevant is when there's a need for notifications, camera integration, messaging and other functionality not suited for webpages.

Remember, it's 2018. Google is indexing responsive webpages over non-responsive webpages.

Kind Regards,

Christian Leicht

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,130
Founder

Christian,

Thank you for your feedback about Beoworld.

I agree that we should not need an App duplicating our web site and forum and clearly our forum in particular is not mobile friendly, but there are some practical reasons for this situation rather than technical issues.

Both our old forum (Archived Forum) and the current forum are based on products from Telligent Inc. The current forum was last updated in 2012 to the then current version which we are still running on. I have looked into the costs of upgrading the forum, but it is beyond our willingness or ability to fund at present.

When funds allow, we will upgrade all our systems, but with two of our main sponsors (LifeStyle VA & Setop Brackets) stopping their financial support to us last year we have been limited to running the existing systems only.

Beoworld Ltd is a not for profit organisation and is totally independent from Bang & Olufsen and we do not sell or buy any B&O products and only provide independent assistance via our Forum which is free to join. For a small yearly fee members also have access to a very large library of B&O service and other manuals which in most cases cannot be found anywhere else.

I would like to thank you for being a Silver member which contributes to the running cost of the site.

Regards Keith....

Page 1 of 2 (44 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL