rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 4 Followers

dueno
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Bronze Member
dueno Posted: Sat, Sep 2 2017 9:45 PM
Hi

I am thinking to buy a beovision horizon. Is there still lot of bugs with the software?

Thanks
Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,534
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 10:18 PM
Seems to have calmed down quite a bit - I had a BV14 for 9 months, so went through same software issues. The Horizon is a nice looking design isn't it...
Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 349
Gold Member
Fansastic replied on Sun, Sep 3 2017 10:55 AM
hi, my Horizon "48 is pretty stable now. One thing still missing is a good integration within multiroom (not available in app for instance) but as others suggested on the forum, this is due in September update.

The Android system has its flaws but not to the extent anymore it should stop you from buying one. Motion blur is still there but not so annoying as it was earlier.

I like the design of the Horizon very much, really blends in my interior. I also really like that I can use a HDD for recording directly from the tv, no set top box needed.

Although it has his little flaws, I began to love the OS and my V1 feels a little outdated. Picture wise they can compete with each other, V1 being softer and the Horizon razor sharp but in dark scenes not the best. You can alter this to certain extent.

My worry would be that as the old OS (BV11/V1) is not being supported anymore, in short time this will go for the Android OS also. Hopefully B&O takes all negative feedback regarding the lack of B&O DNA in the new LG OS seriously and is willing to form a dedicated software team that keeps guarding the original B&O, Android & WebOS with respect of integration and look & feel of a worthy B&O TV. But this is a little of topic thought I'm sharing Smile

Cheers
Sibbi
Not Ranked
Posts 62
Bronze Member
Sibbi replied on Mon, Sep 4 2017 3:41 PM

Hi I have a Horizon 48 and it is now working quite well. Except multiroom still does not work as it should. I really like the design but owning it has not been a good experience. It will be some time (if ever) until I will think about buying B&O again.

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Mon, Sep 4 2017 7:01 PM

Stability improved. However, after the June 2017 update, the number of crashes unfortunately increased. Android is the weak spot of the Horizon. Motion blur is not 100% as stated above. A year after the introduction the B&O app is still not supported, despite the fact that this was used as selling point upon introduction. And now the Eclipse has arrived, I do not know if B&O will continue to support Android for a long period. I seriously doubt if B&O will (and can) get this TV perfect.

PK
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 82
Bronze Member
PK replied on Mon, Sep 4 2017 8:13 PM

i've had my Horizon 40" for nine month now. it has been much improved since first release and the only thing that is missing now is the full integration with the beomusic app. it has multiroom so if you have another source playing you can join that source. 

the picture is good, the sound is good. the beoremote is imo the best remote on the market. still like the looks very much. i have the stand with the wheels, very practical. i still think it is a good buy. had a samsung before, hated that tv. the Horizon is, even if it is not the fastest, a joy to use.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,291
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Sep 4 2017 8:59 PM
PK:

the Horizon is, even if it is not the fastest, a joy to use.

It should be the fastest it's the only one on wheels! Wink
andersbs
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

BartS:

A year after the introduction the B&O app is still not supported, despite the fact that this was used as selling point upon introduction. And now the Eclipse has arrived, I do not know if B&O will continue to support Android for a long period. I seriously doubt if B&O will (and can) get this TV perfect.

Agree. When trying to contact B&O customer service they're unable to give anything but ignorant responses. As it is, I've bought an expensive computer monitor with halo effects on any object moving, not a TV.Angry

jc
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 6:33 PM

Adding to this thread; I, long time B&O customer, am considering a Horizon, and inevitably also compare to competitors; like Panasonic, Sony and Samsung, in 40" size. Traditionally, the strong points that causes me to purchase a Beovision are; sound quality, and a quality remote control. (aside from getting a nice TV of course) As far as I can see, the situation has not changed very much in that respect. Buying a 'other' marque TV still comes with a sub-par remote and sound. The main question now is; how far behind the competition is the Horizon regarding picture quality? No-HDR etc, I know. But how important is that in daily/real life? The price is high, about three times as much as the competition. Will there be a new Beovision Horizon/40" TV next year, perhaps with better specifications? Questions...

Sandyb
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,534
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 7:00 PM
Who knows when? But given the other BV'S are being discontinued, Eclipse aside, there should be one new TV is my guess.

I went for an ex display Avant recently as a second screen - as HDR us not important to me right now, and everything works on the Avant (pre-NG)

You also don't know whether a new BV from the partnership with LG will be to your liking, looks and price wise.

All comes down to when you think HDR will matter to you - for me it was 3 years away, so getting a non HDR set was fine
seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 701
Silver Member
I went to see the new Eclipse and unless you're an avid movie fan and have a very keen eye i'm not sure the average person off the high street will notice a difference. To me the best picture quality is still the BV12NG with the deep vibrant colours.

I would concentrate on the little things that make a TV a Beovision:

A solid remote control with tactility, cool to touch.

A blow your socks of speaker system.

Seamless integration with Beolabs.

Integration with other B&O products.

Antireflective coating made from B&O's special sauce.

Clean, easy on the eye GUI.

B&O's electronic curtain.

B&O picture optimisation engine that trumps the usual processing giving a more natural image.

I'm not convinced that the Eclipse has these and from the TVs I've seen recently it seems as if B&O can no longer spend money on the above, but instead bolting on their speakers to LG TVs costing a third on the high street.

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 422
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Sun, Sep 17 2017 9:06 PM

seethroughyou knocked the nail on the head.

Beoplay A2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 12,653
Bronze Member

If you want to tick all these boxes, you will never ever buy a new B&O tv.

However, just imagine how many boxes will stay unticked, if you buy a non-B&O tv.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Mon, Sep 18 2017 7:04 AM

I was informed that this week a new update will be released. Let's hope this will get the Horizon perfect.Smile

jc
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 103
Bronze Member
jc replied on Mon, Sep 18 2017 8:23 AM

Thanks for the info. How does the Horizon compare to the V1-40? Comparable TV's, although the V1 is not produced anymore, but still can be found newish second hand/demo perhaps. Not sure 4K is useful for me, on a 40" screen. 

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 349
Gold Member
Fansastic replied on Wed, Sep 27 2017 7:46 AM
BartS:

I was informed that this week a new update will be released. Let's hope this will get the Horizon perfect.

Any news on the expected update?
BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Wed, Sep 27 2017 1:16 PM

Not yet. The dealer was informed by Denmark after a contact about specific issues.

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Wed, Sep 27 2017 1:19 PM

By the way. Shouldn't we be able to connect the Horizon with the B&O app in september as well?  

acc1
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
acc1 replied on Wed, Sep 27 2017 1:58 PM

I can remember the same date. However I'm not very optimistic anymore regarding further improvements for the software. I asked B&O about their future plans for the Android TV platform. The answer was not very positive: They have no plans to upgrade the platform version from 5.1.1 to the latest version 7 or at least to version 6. Android TV 6 was mainly a release to improve stability and performance. I have some doubts that it will be possible to fix all issues on 5.1.1.   

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Bronze Member
BartS replied on Wed, Sep 27 2017 6:30 PM

B&O say that they will keep supporting the Android Beovisions. I certainly hope so. Unfortunately - in the light of recent developments (introduction Eclipse, BV 14 and Avant not produced any longer) - I see no reason to be convinced yet. An update that is promised, but not released yet. Interaction with the Beo Remote App; still used as selling point on the website (even after a year), but does not work yet.....

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 552
Bronze Member

I just can’t believe people tolerate this false advertising by B&O. Functionalities that never come to life, misguided buyers over nonfulfilled promises on corporate website etc.

Isn’t there a customer protection law in the EU that regulates it?

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 349
Gold Member
Another week went by and still no update for the BV14 / Horizon...Really want to use full Multiroom support finally after 1y promises...
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 628
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Oct 6 2017 3:55 PM

What part of Multiroom doesn't work?  You mention that you want to use "full Multiroom".  Just curious as I'm cautiously considering an Horizon and multiroom is one of the main drivers.

Thanks,

Stan

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 349
Gold Member
Stan:

What part of Multiroom doesn't work? You mention that you want to use "full Multiroom". Just curious as I'm cautiously considering an Horizon and multiroom is one of the main drivers.

Thanks,

Stan

That is correct, the TV works fine in Multiroom setup but is not fully supported by the new app. No functionality missing but it is handy if Horizon acts the same as the other products. and I want the icon to be present in the app Smile
Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,383
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Oct 6 2017 9:52 PM
Fansastic:

That is correct, the TV works fine in Multiroom setup but is not fully supported by the new app. No functionality missing but it is handy if Horizon acts the same as the other products. and I want the icon to be present in the app

That’s not a Horizon limitation, it’s a limitation in the app, right?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
Posts 349
Gold Member
What I have understood is that the Horizon software needs to be activated for this function. But not 100% sure.

I am in the beta group for the app and I was told that the app team was waiting on the go from the tv tean.

dueno
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 98
Bronze Member
dueno replied on Sat, Apr 21 2018 4:57 PM
So where are we about the software bug on beovision horizon and eclipse?

Will it be a new TV soon?

Thanks.
Steph
Top 100 Contributor
France
Posts 997
Bronze Member
Steph replied on Mon, Apr 23 2018 9:28 AM

I'm planning to change my 2010 BeoVision 10-40" for a new TV.

BV Avant, 14 and Eclipse are unfortunatly too expensive -:(

And if there are new BV in the pipeline (or new panels in the current line), i think it will be expensive too...

What do you think about a 48" BeoVision Horizon ? A good choice ?

Page 1 of 1 (28 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL