Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

The new BeoVision Eclipse : POLL - Have your vote!

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 1 Follower

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 1 2017 10:49 PM

moxxey:

Sandyb:
Kludge = gooey mess, for those in doubt

Hmm, not sure I'd say gooey? Kludge to me is a fusion of mixed elements which don't quite "work". You kind of kludge things together which shouldn't quite fit together.

That's the working definition I've always heard. To me the Eclipse is very much a kludge. And the price of it makes me wonder how good a deal they negotiated with LG for the TV part, are they buying at full list?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Sep 1 2017 11:13 PM
Jeff:

That's the working definition I've always heard. To me the Eclipse is very much a kludge. And the price of it makes me wonder how good a deal they negotiated with LG for the TV part, are they buying at full list?

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Old news, but interesting details:

http://m.euroinvestor.com/news/2016/03/18/bang-olufsen-enters-a-strategic-technology-partnership-with-lg-electronics-regarding-development-and-production-of-bang-oluf/13332794

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 467
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Fri, Sep 1 2017 11:50 PM
KMA:

I'm leaning towards getting the 55" as well. That is my brand-loyal heart speaking; my rationale still questions the value proposition, but that is, at the end of the day, only about money that would go somewhere in any case.

I may wait to hear if people notice any teething problems with Eclipse. I know the potential issues with the C7 panels, but I am assuming that for these sets, LG picks grade A panels/C7 sets that do not have vertical bands in the near-black picture.

Also, perhaps B&O will do some sort of a campaign before the holiday season to speed up sales. Or perhaps my dealer will again make an offer I cannot refuse, as they did with both BV10 and BV11. KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

I think on pictures it looks stunning and I haven't seen it yet in person

As far as value proposition wise:

Eclipse 55 without stand/mount £7415

Assuming using c7 panels lg retails for £2000 if the spec is higher for bo then the panel would cost more

Assuming the sound bar is £3000+remember that 7.2 and 7.4 are around £2500 at that time

Also there is an essence equivalent built in

So £7415-2000-3000 = 2500 We are then talking a premium of £2500 is this reasonable for a bo product? Probably

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 12:58 AM
vlohjr1:

I think on pictures it looks stunning and I haven't seen it yet in person

As far as value proposition wise:

Eclipse 55 without stand/mount £7415

Assuming using c7 panels lg retails for £2000 if the spec is higher for bo then the panel would cost more

Assuming the sound bar is £3000+remember that 7.2 and 7.4 are around £2500 at that time

Also there is an essence equivalent built in

So £7415-2000-3000 = 2500 We are then talking a premium of £2500 is this reasonable for a bo product? Probably

The £2.500 for BL7.2/7.4 already included a B&O premium.

So:

£2.000 for 55C7

£3.000 for the SoundCenter

£1.000 for the floor stand & BR One

===

£6.000

+

£1.000 for the all-in-one design (extra premium)

===

£7.000

That I would call reasonable.

As it is, for ~ £8.500 there is one heck of a premium for the Eclipse with a floor stand. (Can someone please check the actual GBP price for an Eclipse with floor stand?)

Granted: we do not know what the SoundCenter alone would retail for.

What we do know is that BeoSound 35 retails for £1.745. It is the closest audio system I can think of for comparison, so I'd expect the sound of the Eclipse to be a lot better in the above calculation, for £3.000.

BS35 has the sources built-in as well. Eclipse, on the other hand, has the audio engine and more connectivity.

These are numbers, to rationalize. B&O needs healthy margins. For us it is the cost of luxury. Each of us can and will decide for ourselves if the price is right.

I think B&O got trapped with Avant's pricing: there was no way Eclipse could be cheaper, even if the sum of its parts actually are, as it lacks some B&O traits, such as the contrast glass & Vision Clear. It does have all the latest picture tech, thanks to LG: UHD OLED and HDR (including Dolby Vision). But those are already included in the price of a C7.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 157
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 7:26 AM

I know it's wishful thinking but I really hope that B&O realizes their pricing mistake and reduce the price before any TV sets are shipped out to customers. 

Once the first customers starts receiving their new TV the game is over. The first wave of customers are the last segment you what to piss off with a significant price reduction a few months after release. So it's now or never more or less. 

B&O has a history of not reducing their prices during a products lifetime, which I think is crucial to support the value of the brand. But that also means that if they don't correct the price now, the only why they can lower the price is trough discount promotions and campaigns. 

But the best way of getting B&O popular again is not by having a TV that is a good proposition a few weeks every year, but all year. I would be much more beneficial for B&O in the long run to have shipped a lot of TVs with a low profit margin, in exchange for getting more people invested in the brand. A Beovison is the perfect starting point for any customer new to B&O. 

Beoplay V1 with Beo4, Beolab 14.4 and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A2, A9mki (w/ Chromecast Audio), H2, H3, H8.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,509
Bronze Member
Jeff:

You could say the same thing about the south end of a northbound mule, but it hardly makes it a "classic." This product encapsulates, to me, all that is wrong with the Modern B&O Company. It's a kludge, a bunch of off the shelf parts for the most part, glued together without much style, and they want extremely high prices for it. At least it has Netflix, apparently B&O realizes that not putting a Netflix button on the remote is a loser of an idea, I'm betting LG forced them to do it.

I think after all the dust settles the BV12 will go down as the best TV B&O made.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

So a bit like the car that Homer created on the Simpsons then :-p

I went to see it today. It does look like a complete product I have come to realise. To me it does feel like a B&O TV

Then i pressed the home menu for the smart TV features and it had all of the LG Apps, then i thought, when would I actually go in there and press home and use them? It is a messy interface, but i would rarely even go in there.

To access Deezer i would go music deezer on the remote , and all of the other services would be the way i currently use the remote - it would ONLY be the time i would go in to the App Gallery to use the smart TV features that i hadn't programmed on the remote then i would see it.

It's snappy going between sources, such as Deezer and YouTube. The stand goes all the way to the front.

The stand is also much smaller than the Avant stand.

The price is AUD 13,990 plus stand plus remote plus delivery plus installation, so that puts it right up there. I went to Myer and had a look at the Sony A1 OLED and it's beautiful and the sale guy goes, we have 20% off today.

It is a conundrum because is the BeoVision $10,000 more - its not a decision that you take too lightly.

For me at this stage until i could have satisfaction on where i would place my peripherals would I then go back and consider again.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

But No Curtains on opening and closing? That's a B&O feature gone. 

It looks like a good evolution of the Beocenter 6 to me and I look forward to seeing it in reality.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
Posts 394
Bronze Member
Simonbeo:

But No Curtains on opening and closing? That's a B&O feature gone.

They're slowly removing all 'B&O features'. It says HDMI2 whenever you are doing anything from the Beocenter (so AirPlay, multiroom etc). These are all small things but they count towards quality and overall experience.

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sat, Sep 2 2017 4:10 PM
Software update one day maybe with a B&O logo instead of Hdmi2.
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,074
Bronze Member

Checked it out today. Amazing tv. But one thing is missing.  Anti-reflective coating. 

Page 2 of 2 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL