BeoPlay S3 - center channel?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

BeoFrederic
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member
BeoFrederic posted on Tue, Aug 29 2017 11:41 PM

I have a 4.1 setup with BL 800s in front, BL 6000 surrounds, and 3rd party sub and recently-purchased Yamaha A/V receiver.  The BLs are connected to the Yamaha using the preamp out jacks via RCA plugs.  

I’d like to add a center speaker.  If that center speaker is B&O, all the better.  I understand that B&O released the 7-series center channel speakers years back, when I had my eye off the brand.  Unfortunately, I also understand the are no longer available from B&O (there is the used market, I suppose), and require special cabling to trigger the loudspeaker on and off.  

That leaves me with the mighty BeoPlay S3.  I already have a stereo set paired via BT to my computer; they’re wonderful.  Could another, single, S3 be used for center channel?  The connection would be the preamp out center channel, using an RCA plug on that end, and a mono or stereo 3.5mm jack into the S3.  Would that work?

Your recommendations?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,384 Posts
Gold Member

Hi BeoFrederic,

I would go for either one or two Beolab 4000s instead for the centre channel, as these will give a great match with your 8000 and 6000 speakers.  I don't think the S3 will work too well as part of a surround sound system (worth a try if you have one spare, but not worth buying an S3 for).

We can get any speaker working with your AV receiver, so please let us know which speaker(s) you choose and I will be pleased to advise on the cables you need!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,384 Posts
Gold Member

Hi BeoFrederic,

I would go for either one or two Beolab 4000s instead for the centre channel, as these will give a great match with your 8000 and 6000 speakers.  I don't think the S3 will work too well as part of a surround sound system (worth a try if you have one spare, but not worth buying an S3 for).

We can get any speaker working with your AV receiver, so please let us know which speaker(s) you choose and I will be pleased to advise on the cables you need!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,557 Posts
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 11:18 AM

I wouldn't consider the S3 if you intend supplying audio via the line in connection - the bass is much too high and it is not controllable within the speaker (unless your receiver can reduce the bass to the line out).

Ban boring signatures!

BeoFrederic
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member

Thank you both for your replies.  

Update:  I grabbed one of my S3s and tried it with my receiver.  I had to create a Frankenstein’s monster cable to go from the S3’s skinny 3.5mm jack to the RCA jack on the receiver.  I then ran the Yamaha's auto setup / YPAO;  the receiver didn’t recognize the speaker :-\.   I then configured the center speaker manually. 

Puncher: after that the S3 fired up, but the volume level was much lower than the other speakers.  I used the receiver’s controls to raise the volume +10db.   Net result:  It’s now audible, but soft.  The opposite of the result I wanted.

Also: the configuration seems to work well enough with Dolby Digital 5.1 content, but no signal is received if the content is encoded with the DTS disk I tried (Steven Wilson’s ‘Court of the Crimson King’ remix.) 

More experimentation ahead.  Steve, if I land on a BL 4000 solution, I'll be in touch, thanks!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,557 Posts
Bronze Member

Daft question but have you turned the S3 up using the controls on the S3 itself?

Ban boring signatures!

BeoFrederic
Not Ranked
59 Posts
Gold Member

BeoFrederic:

I have a 4.1 setup with BL 800s in front, BL 6000 surrounds, and 3rd party sub and recently-purchased Yamaha A/V receiver.  The BLs are connected to the Yamaha using the preamp out jacks via RCA plugs.  

I’d like to add a center speaker.  If that center speaker is B&O, all the better. 

My thanks to all who commented.  And particular thanks to Steve, who suggested the Beolab 4000 as a center channel solution.  I found a decently-priced pair of 4000s on eBay.  Beyond dialog in movies, I hear the center channel extensively when listening to 5.1 mixes/remixes of progressive rock music.  The 4000 is a wonderful tonal match for the L/R 8000s; I recommend it highly for similar applications.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL