Heard from B&o store.

rated by 0 users
This post has 67 Replies | 4 Followers

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
Esax Posted: Thu, Aug 17 2017 4:39 PM
The new oled is coming next week in 65". Priced at around 110.000SEK.

The avant 55 and 75 is gone. The avant 85 is to live on. Horizon and beovision 14 is going to stay.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 5:01 PM

Esax:

The avant 55 and 75 is gone. The avant 85 is to live on. Horizon and beovision 14 is going to stay.

Wow. I remember the days when B&O would keep a product in their portfolio for a decade or more. I guess now that's only relegated to loudspeakers, but even that may change. Is the 2-3 year obsolescence of B&O televisions worth the premium? When will the Eclipse be discontinued, and what will replace it? Spending $US five figures on a television that we know will be discontinued for something else / better? in less than 5 years is a tall order for most people. I thought because of the Avant name, that television would at least have the heritage to stay along for the long haul, OLED update to the panel, even. Guessed wrong.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 7:13 PM
Well, discontinued or not for me the Avant is still a great tv and will be for years to come (superb stand, 4k and 480 watts of speakers).

I don't own one because I'm still happy with my BV11 but it was close.
AngloApulian
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member
Esax:

Well that's disappointing if true. I was hoping for a 55" OLED version of the Eclipse. A 65" TV is far too big for my apartment. Sad
Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 7:58 PM

Should be a 55" and a 65" Eclipse in the line up!

Busterbird
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member

I love my BV 11 too. Glad it's still considered to be good!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 8:16 PM

Busterbird:

I love my BV 11 too. Glad it's still considered to be good!

Yep, glad I went with the BV11 rather than the Avant, to my eyes, at least, a more classic design, and I didn't have to go through the teething pains that new Avant owners did with the SW and stand when it was first launched.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 8:35 PM
55" is coming to, don't know when.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 8:52 PM
Yep, I did say the Avant was going....was told that back in May....
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 9:20 PM
I was told back in May something along these lines.....but I agree, that would be frustrating..

Surely a 55 would make sense early next year, if it indeed is just a 65 initially...

That SEK amount is 10,500 GBP at current FX rates, before accounting for any local market adjustment, if appropriate.
Mikael
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 157
Bronze Member
Mikael replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 9:28 PM

My dealer told me today that a new product is coming and they are hosting an event august 30th. The product is going to be lunched at IFA in Berlin.

He didn't mention anything else, and I didn't push for more information, but a new Beovision seems about right. 

Beoplay V1 with Beo4, Beolab 14.4 and ATV4/Chromecast.

Beoplay A2, A9mki (w/ Chromecast Audio), H2, H3, H8.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

BeoGreg:
Well, discontinued or not for me the Avant is still a great tv and will be for years to come (superb stand, 4k and 480 watts of speakers).

I don't own one because I'm still happy with my BV11 but it was close.

Discontinuing a BV does not mean, that the BV is bad (or less good) for us as owners.

But it can be important for the company/B&O, that has to sell the product - and therefore good.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,362
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 10:05 PM

Otherwise, the bv 7 55 would be still on production. I spend one week on holiday at my father's home and saw his 11 55 during a long tima and was really disappointed by the PQ quality compared to my 7 55 mk2 (blacks and motion).

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Esax:

You hear all sorts of things from the dealers or from the little birdies - and often different and contradictive things.

I heard yesterday from a dealer, that the 55" Exlipse (which he by the way saw the day before at a dealers meeting in Struer) will 

be priced at around 65.000 DKK (I guess the stand/wall option will be an extra then).

He mentioned that the Avants will continue - which I personally can't really believe, at least not for the 55".

If he is right, the question will be: for how long then?

By the way - he was very (read utterly) excited about the audio solution/speaker part of the new BV ;-)

P.S. Had my third listening to the BL50'es as well - still very impressive, yes!

MM

IA64
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 132
Bronze Member
IA64 replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:41 AM

Millemissen:

Esax:

You hear all sorts of things from the dealers or from the little birdies - and often different and contradictive things.

I heard yesterday from a dealer, that the 55" Exlipse (which he by the way saw the day before at a dealers meeting in Struer) will 

be priced at around 65.000 DKK (I guess the stand/wall option will be an extra then).

He mentioned that the Avants will continue - which I personally can't really believe, at least not for the 55".

If he is right, the question will be: for how long then?

By the way - he was very (read utterly) excited about the audio solution/speaker part of the new BV ;-)

P.S. Had my third listening to the BL50'es as well - still very impressive, yes!

MM

My dealer ( not sure if I have to say this but to make it easier for you guys ) logged in to his account on an iPad after me insisting really really hard to see the pic of the upcoming TV. I've seen the price as well, it's CHEAPER than the Avant for a 55".

Not sure why they'd discontinue the Avant. They just released an NG and I think it does much better than the horizon. 

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 8:09 AM
olvisab:

Otherwise, the bv 7 55 would be still on production. I spend one week on holiday at my father's home and saw his 11 55 during a long tima and was really disappointed by the PQ quality compared to my 7 55 mk2 (blacks and motion).

beolab 5, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2, beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence and the collection continues...

But have you spent some time to set the picture correctly for your needs and likes ?

When I got my BV11 it took at least three nights for me to set the tv properly (helped by KMA post and flatpanels article).

On my BV10 I spent more than a week playing with the settings before relaxing.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,362
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 9:21 AM

Beogreg, I had previously a 11 46 before with my bv 7 55. I spend also a lot of time like you for its set up. I could make side by side comparison.

The 11 55 just confirm what I already know for the 11 46. It was worser because of its bigger size. 

I don't say the PQ of the 11 is terrible, it is still a good tv (sound and picture wise) but for the picture it is a downgrade compare to a 7 55 mk2. That's why I sold the 11 46.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
Posts 3,427
Gold Member
I've had both, and the 7-55 mk2 is better by a considerable distance.

Beovision 10, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,148
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 9:47 AM

Millemissen:

I heard this too - I was told it's *so* good dealers are worried customers won't need additional speakers!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Well, they could sell some side surround and rear surround speakers, if the want!

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,362
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 10:44 AM

I had a look yesterday of the last oled tv in a Darty store. Frankly, when we knew what a beovision is, I am not shocked that the bang olufsen model is 2500/3000 euros more expensiv than a sony or lg.

The last oled are still expensiv. I was surprised to see some oled with grey blacks, probably a problem of set up. Except for a 4k image, the pq was not far away from my bv 7 55 for the last oled.

Absolutely nothing that justify a new purchase actually. I am more focused on the new beolab 50.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 10:57 AM

agreed...i spent an hour or two a while ago looking at regular HD broadcast content on the LG E6......to be honest, the Sony ZD9 had better upscaling than the LG E6....also the high end Panasonic LCD was similarly good.....BBC HD looked fine on the LG E6, but better on the Sony.

I suspect i'd still buy an OLED, they're all very good in the end...but not convinced yet that the picture processing in the LG's are quite the very best......of course, HDR content looks pretty special on the LG, didn't get a chance to compare HDR to the Sony ZD9, but still the ZD9 was mighty impressive (ignoring the Android issue)

AngloApulian
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member
olvisab:

I had a look yesterday of the last oled tv in a Darty store. Frankly, when we knew what a beovision is, I am not shocked that the bang olufsen model is 2500/3000 euros more expensiv than a sony or lg.

The last oled are still expensiv. I was surprised to see some oled with grey blacks, probably a problem of set up. Except for a 4k image, the pq was not far away from my bv 7 55 for the last oled.

Absolutely nothing that justify a new purchase actually. I am more focused on the new beolab 50.

beolab 5, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2, beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence and the collection continues...

Go and have a look at a Loewe Bild 7. If that doesn’t sell you on the advantages of OLED over LCD/LED then nothing will. That’s why I’m so excited for the Eclipse. If Loewe can manage to produce such an amazing picture with their image processing, imagine what B&O can do with their image processing in conjunction with an OLED panel. Should be an awesome picture.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Will be interesting how the dealers will demomstrate the Eclipse in the stores?

The 'good old B&O way' of showing content like we would have at home (usually HD-tv),

or the aggressive modern way of showing only what the tv is best at (some UHD clips randomly)?

On the other hand, it might be that the audio performance could 'overshadow' the video performance - when proper demonstrated.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,798
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 11:08 AM

indeed they have (Loewe that is).....and i think Sony too on their A1.....but B&O are more than likely using LG video processing......not saying thats a problem, but not sure if its as good as it could / should be....

anyway, suspect most people will really like the picture on the Eclipse......so nitpicking to a degree....

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 912
Gold Member
Millemissen:

Will be interesting how the dealers will demomstrate the Eclipse in the stores?

My dealer offers 4K showpieces and public TV-stations with 720p ...

Peter the biker

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,362
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 12:29 PM

Maybe I am the only one who feel it but the 4k oled picture is absolutely not more realistic than a good full hd one. it is built to enhanced some pleasant details like reflection for example but a mountain looking like if it was cut by scissors and glued on a blue sky, is a fantasy picture.

I don't speak about all these flashy colours that a normal vision won't be able to look at in reality.

I have a very good vision connected to a working brain (at least until now), and looking at these image and porcessing, I ask me a question : can it be considered as a real improvement in terms of pq and realism.

The only interest for me is that it allows to put really big screens into the room and keeping a good image quality despite the low viewing distance (poor eyes!).

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 520
Bronze Member
My BV9 and 7 BnO speakers continue to deliver an exceptional home cinema experience. Call me crazy, but I luv the proprietary BnO menu interface.

Flawless operation. I am not for want.

But a new Beovision will be in my future one day I'm sure.

B
AngloApulian
Top 500 Contributor
London, UK
Posts 82
Bronze Member

Since the LGDisplay Panels they'll be using for the Eclipse support both DolbyVision and HDR10, I would hope that dealers use content that supports either of the formats for their demoes. HDR/DolbyVision content makes a much bigger difference to picture quality than 4K/UHD content alone. 

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 921
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 12:50 PM
olvisab:

Maybe I am the only one who feel it but the 4k oled picture is absolutely not more realistic than a good full hd one. it is built to enhanced some pleasant details like reflection for example but a mountain looking like if it was cut by scissors and glued on a blue sky, is a fantasy picture.

I don't speak about all these flashy colours that a normal vision won't be able to look at in reality.

I have a very good vision connected to a working brain (at least until now), and looking at these image and porcessing, I ask me a question : can it be considered as a real improvement in terms of pq and realism.

The only interest for me is that it allows to put really big screens into the room and keeping a good image quality despite the low viewing distance (poor eyes!).

Well stated.

I totally agree
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

@olvisap

Agree with you!

Every picture on a screen is artificial - realistic and natural is only looking out of the window or being outside.

The movies that we see is a creation of the filmmakers, even for nature films there are decisions made to make the pictures look 'the best'.

UHD is about greater/higher resolution, color gamma, dynamic range etc etc - it sure makes the pictures on the screen look gorgeous. But it is not reality/realism, it's man made after all.

Let us not pretent, that we get nature/real life in our livingrooms just by upgrading to UHD.

A good HD picture/screen can make us enjoy the content just as much.

But of course, you are right that higher resolution always will be better with big and bigger screens at the same distance as usual.

To me the tv/video experience is a combination of picture and sound - which is the reason, that I'll stick to a B&O tv, period!

On the other hand, you can't imagine, that B&O should avoid getting the latest screen/video tech - they simply have to.

IMO, all owners of good HD-BV's should keep on enjoying their tv's, their setups as before.

No need to get stressed by the fact that there may be tv's with 'higher specs' out there.

Upgrade your tv when you feel like it - and not because the industry tells you to.

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,527
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 1:15 PM

Millemissen:
UHD is about greater/higher resolution, color gamma, dynamic range etc

Mainly (only ?) Definition (not resolution) and unfortunately not (or less) colour gamma nor dynamic range...

FWIW : UHD is not egal to 4k (a little bit less than 4k for UHD1)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 13,424
Bronze Member

Let's not nitpick here.

A UHD tv - in common language - benefits from all these modern technologies.

MM

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 596
Bronze Member

So I did move 8 months ago from an excellent Sony FullHD TV to the LG UHD LCD with HDR. Only watching Netflix, HBO Go and Amazon Video, sometimes streaming Eurosport Player and that's it.

My findouts are that even with streamed content you certainly can see a difference between FullHD and UHD - not by much, but you instantly recognize UHD and I personally think it looks stunning to the level FullHD is not capable of. Latest example: American Gods on Amazon Video, just amazing.

That being said, I also find much of the Full HD content wonderful to watch so that standard is nowhere near to be proclaimed dead or outdated. On the HDR topic, another incredible example of visible - beyond any doubt - PQ improvement is "Z - The beginning of everything" also from Amazon I believe... ...now that needs to be seen to understand what HDR can bring to the PQ. At some points I was thinking "now my regular LCD panel produces a picture I anticipate from OLEDs..."

So I do look forward to the Eclipse, UHD and associated HDR technologies are not just gimmicks and certainly B&O can bring it to another level...

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 3:30 PM
olvisab:

Maybe I am the only one who feel it but the 4k oled picture is absolutely not more realistic than a good full hd one.

True for me two. The Loewe Bild 7 had a good picture in the shop but I wasn't as enthusiastic as the dealer (wich is also my B&O dealer).

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,147
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:24 PM

Millemissen:

Every picture on a screen is artificial - realistic and natural is only looking out of the window or being outside.

Upgrade your tv when you feel like it - and not because the industry tells you to.

Two things I agree with Yes - thumbs up

Lee

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 172
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 4:46 PM

olvisab:
the 4k oled picture is absolutely not more realistic than a good full hd one.

Respectfully disagree. The same was said about CRT vs Plasma years ago. OLED is far superior to LCD and plasma tech is noticeable to even non-techys. Whilst it is true these panels don't smear over the details like plasma does and any 'broadcast' content looks like overly compressed junk.

Unless I simply prefer not to stick with the past.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,362
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Aug 18 2017 5:20 PM

My purpose was to underlined the fact the evolution is not going (with the actual 4k rendering) to a more realistic/less artificial picture.

I am looking often outside and when I am looking at the tv I still have the same pair of eyes and they tell me in front of an oled, hey there is something wrong with this picture.

Of course this is the way it goes and we need to adapt us at these new type of picture. Maybe the next 4k processing will be less sharp and more realistic, who knows. The plasma superiority remained (I am not a plasma fan) several years after the arrival of the lcd/beginning of led.

This is for me actually a problem for the 4k rendering. There are always people thinking new is better and other who are staying in he past, I am not in those category, sorry.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 676
Bronze Member

For me personally, OLED is a really important technology and I am very enthusiastic about it. Having had various BeoVision's over the years the one common denominator between all of them (early Avant RF32 DVD excluded) was that I could so noticeably (and annoyingly) see blacks as being grey. It completely distracted my whole viewing experience and I vowed several years ago that I would only buy a new BeoVision (or a second hand one come to that) where this was no longer an issue.

My last tv was the Mk1 BV9, which I have since sold on and I've been waiting very patiently for B&O to adopt OLED and put their magical mark on it, if you will. I believe the Eclipse is that model, and I have now bought one. This is quite a leap of faith on my part having not even seen or heard it in person yet, but I just know instinctively from information gathered so far (much owed to this forum and a few dealers) that I can now 'safely' and reassuringly take the plunge. I am really excited about this because I love the brand and really didn't want to go with a Sony A1, much as I was going to because frankly, it looks the part and does a bloody good job!

However, there's much I like about the whole B&O concept and experience so I hope many others will like this new OLED too and B&O can get back to where they once were. I am really very encouraged by this new tv and I can be B&Os biggest critic at times, so hopefully this is the one we've all been hoping for.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 240
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Sat, Aug 19 2017 8:52 AM
Sandyb:

indeed they have (Loewe that is).....and i think Sony too on their A1.....but B&O are more than likely using LG video processing......not saying thats a problem, but not sure if its as good as it could / should be....

anyway, suspect most people will really like the picture on the Eclipse......so nitpicking to a degree....

Bang& Olufsen are going to use there own video engine. They will not settle for less.

Page 1 of 2 (68 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL