rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member
Stereomensch posted on Mon, Jul 31 2017 11:05 AM

Hi folks,

I hope I can find some B&O afficionados at this forum.

I need your advice. Smile

I've got some Beomaster 5000,5500 and 6500 at home.

What kind of B&O speakers do you like best with these systems.

1. Beovox s120

2. Beovox m150

3. Beovox Penta (passive)

4. Beovox redline 7000

5. Beovox c75/cx100 with cona

What kind of systems works best with the Beomaster 5000?

I appreciate your help pretty much.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards Chris Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,385 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Chris,

I would go for M150, Beovox Penta and/or Redline 7000 (or RL140), all of these are superb speakers and these Beomasters are powerful enough to drive them effectively for a great sound.

If you need any assistance with cables to get everything working, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to help! Whistle

Kind regards, Steve

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,385 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Chris,

I would go for M150, Beovox Penta and/or Redline 7000 (or RL140), all of these are superb speakers and these Beomasters are powerful enough to drive them effectively for a great sound.

If you need any assistance with cables to get everything working, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to help! Whistle

Kind regards, Steve

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,866 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:00 PM

Best is always difficult to answer as your own choice will always be a personal one. I prefer good vocal performance over driving bass for instance. I have either owned or used most of the above so would characterise them as follows:

S120 - a B&O insider confided in me that these were the best passive speakers made by B&O. Very well balanced though a little bass light for some tastes. accurate and relatively compact - gave these to a friend of mine along with a BC9500 which worked very well with them.

M150 - I owned MS150s which are pretty similar - big but great bass - not booming but very accurate - you can hear the bass notes rather than the boom. I find this range of tweeters tend to shriek at higher volumes and are not as relaxing to listen to as the earlier range though.

BV Penta - very pleasant sound and easy to listen to for long periods - They don't shriek but the bass is a bit one dimensional compared to the speakers with big drive units - you hear the bass but the actual notes are less distinct - there is an upper bass hump which makes them sound bassier than they actually are. I have BL Pentas, which I bought new, and these are still my main speakers.

Redline 7000 - played with the very similar RL140 - big - better than the RL60 models which I really don't like. These were made to cater for other make amplifiers and in my view don't have the traditional B&O sound, which has a very easy listening sound - sometimes described as slightly veiled.

C75/CX100 ± Cona - not really hi-fi - but I like them - I use CX100s with my 5500 as they are small and convenient. The Cona has a very high top frequency for a sub woofer and is hence directional. As I like relatively bass light sound, I have never bothered. Not a great sub woofer either!

To say what would  be best also depends on budget and space. You have missed out the Beoworld favourite, the S45.2 - this can easily handle the power output of these amplifiers. Again bass light but very accurate sound and relatively compact - the later S55 is similar but much less sought after and hence cheap!

Peter

graemeben
Top 500 Contributor
132 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi.

Very difficult question to answer as speakers are always subjective. I believe your question relates particularly to the Beomaster 5000 which I understand is a very good amp, so getting the best out of it is the issue. 

Pentas are always a favourite here but the S120's are also popular. Bear in mind all the speakers you mention above will be old and in need of some attention if not had any already. Usually refoaming of the bass drivers and recap of the crossovers is normal for just about all of them. The M150's are rare and getting a good pair will be difficult. Space is also a consideration

I don't have any of those on your list so can't recommend any directly .

Graeme.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you very much for your infos. I really appreciate your help :)

It's not easy for my to take a decision, because I couldn't find that many informations about the speakers. I tried to search the internet, but I couldn't find any frequncy chart of a vintage B&O loudspeakers.

I've heard that the m150 have a good reputation. A comparison with the Yamaha ns1000 would be pretty interesting. Both seem to be some of the best speakers of the late 70ies. There size is pretty similar, too.

The best thing is to have all of these B&O speakers :)

So the general advive is, always take the most expensive speaker of the line (redline 7000 instead of 6000)?

Last question, is there really some kind of an B&O sound? And can you comment on the differences between the M150 and the RL 7000?

(using an Beomaster 5000 or 5500).

Thank you very much for your help.

AdamS
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Aug 1 2017 1:14 PM

Stereomensch:

And can you comment on the differences between the M150 and the RL 7000?

(using an Beomaster 5000 or 5500).

The M150s are fabulous speakers and, if you can't find/afford/accommodate MS150s then they would be my first choice. That said, the S120/MC120s are also very good.

The RL7000s, in my humble opinion, are best avoided!

As to your mention of Yamaha NS1000s, they are one of my favourite loudspeakers, but my experience suggests that they sound best when driven by Yamaha amplifiers. On this basis, I'd stick with a B&O model.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you very much for your help Smile

May I ask you, has anyone ever made a frequency response chart of these speakers?

Best regards,

Chris

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member

Is the Beomaster 5000 powerful enough to drive the Beovox Penta speakers?

I read some complainments about the beovox amp. The beomaster seems to be the much better amp.

On the other hand, the beomaster 5000 has only IHF: 2 x 50 W / 8 ohms (or IEC: 2 x 110 W / 8 ohms).

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
3,803 Posts
Bronze Member

A bit late but I use MC120-2 with my pizza boxes. I also have the excellent S45-2 - small but very competent indeed. 

Jacques

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,866 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Oct 2 2017 10:13 PM

I had a pair of MS150s repaired by a company also famed for making the BBC LS3/5A speaker at the time. He was so impressed with them that he put them on test and the frequency response was one of the flattest he had come across. This was some time ago but he said to get a similar passive speaker would have cost several thousand pounds. S45.2s are unreasonably good for what they are. Some of the manuals have frequency response curves - the 1976 for instance.

Peter

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member

And what about the Beolab 5000 active speakers?

Are the redline 140/7000 are much better than these flat active speakers?

Has the Redline 7000 enough bass? Or is it bass light?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Chris

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,866 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, May 14 2018 9:04 PM

Now that is a can of worms! The Beolab 5000 has some very dedicated fans - I have a pair - although they are on long term, if not permanent loan to my dentist for his waiting room! I would have them over Redline speakers but they are very large, dominate the wall and are not IMHO a patch on Beolab Pentas. Other people I know will disagree. I do have some Beolab 3000s which are the smaller versions and are adequate. If you are looking at active speakers, Beolab 4000s are an absolute bargain and sound great. I have two pairs of those and they used to be everywhere at Struer!

Peter

kimberley
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

I have used (and provided friends with) several systems based around the BM5000 and BM5500 (and the BM6000, come to think of it).

I have found the amplifiers capable of driving a wide range of passive loudspeakers without problems, basically it comes down to what size of 'speakers you can accommodate and the type of music you want to listen to - although the better the 'speakers you can have, the less the genre of music matters.

For 'full range', if you have the space, I'd agree that the M150 is very good, but in a smaller package, the others from the same period & range are also good except for the bottom octave.

If space is limited, the CX100 is much better than you would expect. When I was using both in the same room, I often wasn't sure whether I was listening to CX100s or Quad ESL63s on Classical music.

If you're not dedicated to an all-B&O approach, the BM5000 will easily and satisfactorily drive LS3/5as, IMFs (Super Compact or Studio in my experience), Shahinian Arcs, or PMC DB1s, for example. My view is that the BeoMasters will drive the majority of 'good' 'speakers satisfactorily, so use what you like.

Agreed with others that the Cone isn't brilliant. Other subwoofers can work well, though. However, if you are using 'pre-out' for subwoofers or Active 'speakers, the BM5000 might be the better choice, as it has a true 'pre-out' rather than an attenuated final power amplifier circuit, used from the BM5500 onwards. The BM5000 used as a preamplifier will drive Adam S3a monitors well, but I'm probably the only person who ever would: the BMs are designed with an elegant room in mind, the Adam Monitors are the ugliest, most uncompromising things which my wife has declined to give house room to.

Stereomensch
Top 500 Contributor
203 Posts
Bronze Member

In the meantime I bought some B&o Speakers. I don't know where to put them, but I don't care, I just want to have all of them.

All of the speakers need an overhaul.

Nr. 1:

Beomaster 7000, Beogram CD 7000 (all black) + Beolab Penta Mk3

Nr. 2:

Beomaster 5500, Beocord 5500, Beogram CD 5500 (all white) + Beovox RL 7000 (black with grey fabrics)

Nr. 3:

Beomaster 5000, Beogram 5000, Beogram CD 5500 (in grey/silver) + Beovox m150 (butt ugly painting job).

It will maybe take a year of time to get all things running, But I will post here the final results :D

regards Chris

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
348 Posts
Bronze Member

I am currently using Beovox S120 with my Beosystem 6500 and I love the sound. You can always adjust the bass and it's plenty enough to enjoy.

Normally I use them with y Beosystem 6000 but the current location allows me to just use 6500 mainly and it's nearly everyday. I also have M150 that I don't use as such. Still it is not that important to test but may do it some day.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL