rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 66 Replies | 3 Followers

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
11,944 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen posted on Sun, Jul 30 2017 9:27 AM

Before the hype is getting unstoppable, I'd like to know what are the pros and cons of having a Loewe tv?

Is it only good if you compare it to a standalone BeoVision?

Or is it also good, when you already have a otherweise well functioning Beo-ecosystem/BeoLink setup?

Or a BeoVision as a full multichannel setup?

Does it require a radical change of your existing setup, then?

Is it worth sacrificing eg the excellent BV11 with PUC-controlled external devices linked to old and new B&O audio devices and other BV's.....controlled by one remote?

So, what are the pros and cons of exchanging the BV for a Loewe tv?

(How much/how often would you benefit from the cons - eg the picture specs - in daily living with the tv)

For whom/in which situations is a Loewe tv better?

And what if a new BV had roughly the same pricetag as a Loewe Bild 7/9?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

All Replies

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
Ambergris Caye, Belize
152 Posts
Bronze Member

Loewe makes a beautiful TV. I would probably purchase one if they were more widely available outside of Europe. After the death of David Lewis, none of the current range of B&O televisions have been as inspiring.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,768 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:48 PM

Millemissen:

But why the Loewe 40", when you can get a 55" OLED from Philips at 14999 DKK/1800 UK£

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/tv-radio/fladskarms-tv/55POS9002/philips-55-oled-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55pos9002?scid=SEM1

It is a tv after all - just like the Loewe.

True. But I think Lee's point (potentially) is that the Loewe is a reasonable compromise between design, style and performance at an affordable price. That Philips is decent, but it's not hugely different from the Samsung, OLED and so on. The Loewe has a little more design flair.

If you apply the philosophy of judging primarily on price, then you'd never buy B&O or Loewe for that matter!

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
524 Posts
Bronze Member

moxxey:
True. But I think Lee's point (potentially) is that the Loewe is a reasonable compromise between design, style and performance at an affordable price. That Philips is decent, but it's not hugely different from the Samsung, OLED and so on. The Loewe has a little more design flair.

And I believe that was a rethoric question in the first place. Just wondering who would REALLY not see any difference between Loewe and Samsung, Philips etc? With million miles between them in terms of design, materials used... Plus, Loewe OLEDs are manufactured in Germany. Not China, not Korea, not Czechia (respectfully, but...)

So elaborating further why Loewe TV is not just another 800 EUR Philips is very redundant to pretty much everyone I guess.

Back to the topic: with all the workarounds in place, still it looks like Loewe integration for current B&O customers with a lot of speakers and other equipment is nowhere close to be neither elegant nor visually attractive (extra boxes, wires, adapters... not sexy). But it could be a cost-effective second-best choice perhaps. And I sense that almost everyone who was posting shared similar sentiment.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,768 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:28 PM

AnalogPlanet:

Back to the topic:..

Talking about Loewe and other designs isn't "off topic"!

Also, are the Loewe TVs really manufactured in Germany in 2017? Would be impressed if they were.

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
1,100 Posts
Silver Member

Per their web site:  

"For over 80 years, Loewe has invented television, we have kept our "Made in Germany" promise. Development, production and service departments are still based in Kronach (Upper Franconia). Loewe systems are designed to last and have emphasis on economic energy consumption. Modular technology, premium materials, precise workmanship, regular software updates and, not least, timeless design, guarantee the great feeling of owning a sustainable product."

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 5:52 PM

MediaBobNY:
"For over 80 years, Loewe has invented television, we have kept our "Made in Germany" promise. Development, production and service departments are still based in Kronach (Upper Franconia)..."

This statement should carry a lot of weight in terms of Loewe's business philosophy with forum members here, especially with all of the frustrations expressed with B&O's reduced presence in Denmark. Perhaps Loewe's commitment to stay in Germany is made financially possible as a result of the prices of their products, the quality of the software and service they provide, and the generally larger customer base they can attract based the previously mentioned characteristics of their products.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,371 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:00 PM

I'd be shocked if the panels weren't made in Korea or China, probably at an LG plant. LG OLED tech seems to have just about cornered the market vs. Samsung's approach. Shipped to Germany and assembled there, which is at least something, with at least some parts sourced from Germany.

All such panels may go away if the Norks get into it with S. Korea.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,768 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:02 PM

Jeff:

I'd be shocked if the panels weren't made in Korea or China, probably at an LG plant.

Panels are only made by a handful of factories, all based in Korea of China - they definitely aren't made in Germany. But the assembly and case will be.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
11,557 Posts
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

Millemissen:

This goes on and on!

But why the Loewe 40", when you can get a 55" OLED from Philips at 14999 DKK/1800 UK£

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/tv-radio/fladskarms-tv/55POS9002/philips-55-oled-4k-uhd-smart-tv-55pos9002?scid=SEM1

It is a tv after all - just like the Loewe.

MM

.... which makes the 14-40" price look even worse.

You're right MM.  

This is exactly the same argument that has been going on since the release of the first BV7 - people saying "Yes, but I can get a Samsung for £600" quickly followed by a staunch B&O advocate saying " OK, but look at all of the extras you get with the BV7"!

Meanwhile we witness the exponentially increasing feature content/value of the £600 TV's not to mention the picture quality and styling which we could probably plot linearly on a graph against the closure of B&O dealers. There is also a lengthening queue of ex B&O advocates.

There may be a premium available for a more "stylish TV" but in these days where there is mostly screen with very little "TV" it becomes very difficult to make anything else look anything other than just bigger. Meanwhile the soundengine is a fantastic solution desperately needing a mass market home at a much lower pricepoint.

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,161 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:09 PM
Sal:

This statement should carry a lot of weight in terms of Loewe's business philosophy with forum members here, especially with all of the frustrations expressed with B&O's reduced presence in Denmark. Perhaps Loewe's commitment to stay in Germany is made financially possible as a result of the prices of their products, the quality of the software and service they provide, and the generally larger customer base......

It should be remembered that Loewe went into bankruptcy a few years ago leaving all shareholders high and dry. The business model certainly wasn't sustainable then. The new investors bought the assets of the old business. I'm not sure what their financial performance is currently.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 6:15 PM

Puncher:
Meanwhile the soundengine is a fantastic solution desperately needing a mass market home at a much lower pricepoint.

I'm beating a decomposing horse with this one: B&O should quit making televisions and offer up their Beosystem Video / Sound engine / Home controller all rolled up into one as, basically a Surround processor. Let the people buy whatever screen they want, but have B&O run the show. I bet if B&O lowered the price point for the beosystem, along with ending production of televisions entirely, maybe they can manufacture the component back in DK for a profit. And the Beosystem engine can be a gateway for their speakers. Give up on the actual TV market, B&O, it is a losing proposition.

Thomas
Not Ranked
Norway
55 Posts
Founder
Thomas replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:11 PM

i agree, they should leave tv's and concentrate on making speakers  I would love to see a "Beosystem 5" as a surround system with PUC controller.  This B&O know how to do.  Forget the smart TV functions, leave this to the panel manufacture.  If they could price this at a sensible price, i would buy it in a second.  Add a decent center speaker to the lineup again and i think they would have a winner. I really hope they bring something like this to the marked soon.

Format 0  😀😎

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,001 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 8:38 PM

Sal:

I'm beating a decomposing horse with this one...

That saying made me laugh..  Big Smile

(I may steal it, though.. keep an eye on me)

I think there will always be a market for a TV which is as much a work of art as it is a TV...

It's just how many people buy it, and wether it's worth doing!

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
983 Posts
Founder
linder replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:03 PM

The Chinese company behind Loewe is Hisense.  Hisense is in a cooperative partnership with Loewe.  Essentially Hisense provides technology and software to Loewe.  Loewe TVs are assembled in Germany using many components from Hisense.  Hisense markets Loewe products in China.  Hisense does sell high def TV's in North America.  They are really cheap.

For me I am probably going to reluctantly move on from Bang and Olufsen.  There is only one dealer near me and if it does not sell B&O anymore, I would not be able to get service.  I would also have to travel 1000 miles to visit another dealer.

Bang and Olufsen is like a tiny version of Apple.  They design and engineer new products in Denmark but someone else manufactures the products.

Beoplay is about to get some really formidable competition from Apple.  The Apple Homepod is projected to sell over a million products in the first year.  I think that is a conservative estimate.

I am going to keep the B&O systems I have but I am going to purchase the W series TV from LG.

Good luck Lee.  You have a good plan.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,001 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 9:09 PM

linder:

....I would also have to travel 1000 miles to visit another dealer.

Vanessa Carlton can provide the inspiration.. Do it !!   The Man

Thank you for the good wishes though...

Lee

Page 3 of 5 (67 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL