Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 414 Replies | 10 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member
davieav posted on Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
421 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

But do we have more information about the Beosound Core?

I cannot seem to find a manuel.

In the new pricelist it have taken over Essense MKII which now must be AOL.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
127 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Verified) Dante replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 2:34 AM
Verified by olvisab

What kind of preamp would you use to drive 4x BL5?

What I would like to know is if all this BL50 magic isn't 90% due to the room compensation feature.

If you run 4x BL5 from a Beosystem 4 you will have sound spread all over your room, in all directions as they are very wide. If you run the same setup from a preamp with Dirac Live, for example, the sound will be much more detailed.

I've tried this configuration in my 7.0 setup (1x BL10 4x BL5 and 2x BL8000) and the improvement was very impressive. Still I'd like to hear a pair of BL50 for comparinson.

All Replies

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
675 Posts
Silver Member
AdamS:

I finally had a chance to hear the Beolab 50s in the B&O shop in New York at the weekend and I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Yes, they look fabulous and the bass was superb, but the midrange seemed recessed, making vocals vague and fairly indistinct. The treble was also a little too soft for my liking.

On the upside, I asked them to play the Beolab 90s whilst we were there, which sounded as utterly spellbinding as ever. Even more amusingly, we were there with friends, one of whom is a former colleague from my loudspeaker design days and who loves his music and hi-fi, but has always been a B&O cynic.

Well, the track started on the Lab 90s, which was a female jazz singer, and he turned to me with a big grin on his face and said "Unbelievable - it's like she's standing right in front of me".

That was my experience as well. The Beolab 90 is completely out of this world having listened to 30 different speakers including a lot of ‘audiophile’ speakers. Nothing comes close. I pulled the trigger on an exdemo pair.
svinaik
Top 500 Contributor
202 Posts
Bronze Member

Regarding the BL 50 Vs. BL 90, there is no question that BL 90 are one of a kind speakers in the world. I would even dare say that there is nothing out there to best them, irrespective of the price. If I could, I would have bought the BL 90 but BL 50 took me a great distance to that BL 90 performance at a price that I could afford and even more importantly, space that I have.

When I get back into the home ownership again at some point in future, I will revisit the BL 90. Until then BL 50 is my BL 90 Smile

rxcohen
Top 500 Contributor
New York
194 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipedia - I cannot recall exactly but i think they were streaming from Spotify via one of the TVs. These speakers are close the $40K here and I cannot see the store being able to sell any based on the poor demo and overall appearance of the speakers. It has always been hit and miss with this store in their ability to properly demo products.

BV11-55, BS9000, BL1, BL19, Transmitter 1, Beo4, Beocom 6000, BeoTalk1 200, Sennheiser HD600, McIntosh MHA100

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member

wow that's very sad to hear because they're amazing speakers. i was thinking about the difference between the bl50's and bl90's when propperly set up and i came up with an analogy that may be a bit odd. When you listen to, let say nora jones on the bl50's it's like she's 3-4 feet away from you, but when you listen to the bl90's it's like you're slow-dancing with her while she's performing. i mean to say that there is definately a difference, the bl90's are more intimate, but it's nowhere near as big a gap as let's say the gap is between the bl5's and bl20/bl9's. the bl50's are just that good.

i often put my setup in bl'50 mode and i can't tell up to about a bit less than a foot away from the eclipse that there is no center channel playing. the stereo imaging is that good when propperly set up.

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/c/mikipedi4

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
127 Posts
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Wed, Apr 11 2018 6:17 PM
Mikipedia:

i often put my setup in bl'50 mode and i can't tell up to about a bit less than a foot away from the eclipse that there is no center channel playing. the stereo imaging is that good when propperly set up.

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0WLHXZuA1GANMzYcAn5_xg

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

That is plain ridiculously.

There are no front speakers that can replace a center speaker. My guess you have not calibrated audio level on beolab 50 compared to the center speaker. Easy with a db app.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member
First of all, what a strange way to startHuh?

Secondly, no it’s not.

I did not say that this was the case for every instance. Anything propperly mixed in 5.x you will deffiantely have more spacial awareness with the center joining in. But if you watch any sort of regular tv (mixed in 2.0)you honestly can not tell the sound isn’t coming from where the tv is up to about 6” or so away from the tv. I’ve blind tested this on my girlfriend and Iasked her to do the same for me. It has fooled me several times, i can tell at the point when i lower my head to the level of the soundcenter and then get between 6” to a foot away and listening with one ear. A friend of mine does the same with his bl90’s and leaves the center channel off at all times. I don’t do this though for movies.

You’re welcome to come by and come listen for yourself if you don’t believe me, just ignore the occasional ticking from the speakers...

New: Beolab 50's, Beolab 18's, Beovision eclipse, Beosound 9000 mk3, Beosound 1 Bronze edition, Beoplay M3.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Old: Beolab 1's, beolab 2, beovision 10-46, overture 2300, beolab 8000's, beolab 4000's, beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,273 Posts
Bronze Member

@Mikipedia

This goes not only for the 50/90’s - it is rather common for all speakers.......when you sit dead center.

The problem however, is that you seldom do that respectively not for long.

And if you are more than just yourself aitting in that money seat, you certainly are going to miss the center channel (with video content/2 channel audio source).

A B&O tv has been able to upmix a 2.0/2.1 source to 3.0/3.1 for ages exactly for that reason.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipedia:

Secondly, no it’s not.

I did not say that this was the case for every instance. Anything propperly mixed in 5.x you will deffiantely have more spacial awareness with the center joining in. But if you watch any sort of regular tv (mixed in 2.0)you honestly can not tell the sound isn’t coming from where the tv is up to about 6” or so away from the tv. I’ve blind tested this on my girlfriend and Iasked her to do the same for me. It has fooled me several times, i can tell at the point when i lower my head to the level of the soundcenter and then get between 6” to a foot away and listening with one ear. A friend of mine does the same with his bl90’s and leaves the center channel off at all times. I don’t do this though for movies.

Spot on. From the analog days there was always a phantom center surround effect. Today with DSP you can split the original channels into an unlimited effect. Even my late BV11 had about 20 options. When 3 of us and the cat watch films in 2 channel everybody is happy, even those not in the King's spot. That is because the world's best DSP is in our brain and it makes corrections for the room and it's own imperfections. Then there is Psychoacoustics, and even the mastering of the original to the what goes to Sky or Netflix or whomever and what they do with it. Better off having a drink and just enjoying it. 

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member

@Millemissen

I rarely sit in the sweet spot, I usually sit on the left of center in my comfy chair and still have a very hard time telling there is no center. When I set the speakers up I calibrated them for left, center and right seating positions. So in other words I did partially calibrate them for the position I sit in most, the tweeters are in wide mode like this and, when they work properly, they do a magnificent job at stereo imaging even fairly far of center.

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member

@poodleboy

I do agree, however the bl50/90's do perform some magic tricks with sound somehow :p

now let's have that drink together ;)

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
243 Posts
Bronze Member

Mikipedia:

@poodleboy

I do agree, however the bl50/90's do perform some magic tricks with sound somehow :p

now let's have that drink together ;)

Agreed. I thought analog B&O speakers were always "well tuned" and the new DSP models can be magical. It is what B&O does well. Oh yeah, include the A9 in the magical column, in my humble opinion. Crack one open on your next podcast and we will DSP a toast while I watch it. Good stuff, btw. 

boskonay
Top 500 Contributor
72 Posts
Bronze Member

i've just gone from 5x BL5's (with BL17s in the rear) and an Avant up front, to 2x BL50's in the front. 

WOW!!

I was scepticle that the existing footprint could be bettered - until these puppies came online!

The depth, clarity and bass of these things absolutely make the BL5's look like JML bluetooth speakers!

(Ok, not that bad but the improvement is exponential!)

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member
@poodleboy

Thanks! And i will, just come and see on sunday Yes - thumbs up

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Martin
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
262 Posts
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 29 2018 2:38 PM

Hi Mikipidia,

You have the Beolab 50´s. I am into putting an order to these speakers. I have today Beolab 5 from 2015.

Are You happy with yours? i saw in another thread that you maybe have some problems with your speakers. Can You please tell me what problems you have and what I might expect if I buy these speakers.

Best Regards
Martin

SWEDEN

Beovision Eclipse 65 with floorstand (from STB Brackets), New! Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K

Mikipidia
Top 100 Contributor
857 Posts
Gold Member
Sorry for the late reply,

The problems depend heavily on where and how you live.

It’s basically the “smart” bits interfering with the musical bit and it ticks and pops. It’s gotten better but it’s still there really. It mostly depends on how many wifi networks are in the area that you can pick up and if you’re lucky with the ones you get or not. Some people get ones that have a tighter spec on the internal chipset and they’re fine. If you live in a detached house you’re mostlikely fine too.

Iam in a city and catch apparently way too many wifi networks here and i’ve gotten unlucky with the chipset twice already. The new software has helped, but atleast in my case still isn’t 100% there.

They’ve always sounded good, but in my case i sometimes got/get extra sounds that are somewhat(very) annoying and aren’t meant to be there.

So my answer is, it depends basically on a few things wether or not i would say with confidense to go for them or not, and even when not you may still get lucky anyway and be problem free. So yeah i don’t know what to say, it’s a real headscratcherConfused

Mikipedi4 on YouTube

Page 27 of 28 (415 items) « First ... < Previous 24 25 26 27 28 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL