Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 419 Replies | 10 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
46 Posts
Bronze Member
davieav posted on Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
431 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by futuristbeo

But do we have more information about the Beosound Core?

I cannot seem to find a manuel.

In the new pricelist it have taken over Essense MKII which now must be AOL.

Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 20, Beolab 17, Beosound 1 Google assist, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
136 Posts
Silver Member
Answered (Verified) Dante replied on Wed, Aug 30 2017 2:34 AM
Verified by olvisab

What kind of preamp would you use to drive 4x BL5?

What I would like to know is if all this BL50 magic isn't 90% due to the room compensation feature.

If you run 4x BL5 from a Beosystem 4 you will have sound spread all over your room, in all directions as they are very wide. If you run the same setup from a preamp with Dirac Live, for example, the sound will be much more detailed.

I've tried this configuration in my 7.0 setup (1x BL10 4x BL5 and 2x BL8000) and the improvement was very impressive. Still I'd like to hear a pair of BL50 for comparinson.

All Replies

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
576 Posts
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:52 AM
BAND'OH!:

I simply was not brought up to spend £25,000 on a pair of speakers, let alone £50,000 or more on a pair of BL90s for example. It's just not in my vocab - so to speak. The money is their, and could be spent, but it won't be. For me, and in honour of my family, I will be putting any money left to me to better use i.e. charitable causes, but that's just me and is what my family wanted so I will honour that.

For me, these comments raised a question only you can answer, as it relates to your personal values and the subjective value of money:

To get an absolutely stellar, second-to-none audio performance, where would you set the limit?

You say 25k is too much for you, even though you could afford it. What is the maximum you'd be willing to spend on a pair of speakers?

This question is simply out of curiosity. To put it in another way, how much would you be willing to pay for BeoLab 50, if they were the speakers you really wanted?

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

Good question KMA and one that I am unsure how to answer. to be honest. I suppose we are all different in life. We all have different experiences and come from different backgrounds. I just know that my father would 'turn in his grave' if I spent this kind of money on a pair of speakers. My love and respect for my late father is far greater than a pair of speakers, no matter who the manufacturer. That's all I 'feel' at this moment. Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 4:00 AM

I'm with BAND'OH on this one. I think the number of people in this day and age who'd be willing to accept the value for money proposition on a pair of speakers at the price point of the BL90s and BL50s (and from other brands in a similar price range) is small, and likely getting smaller -- regardless of the supreme technical achievements that both speaker models represent. 

That being said, B&O have very smart people on their staff, and they have to have thought this through, and found that there's enough demand that it was worth it to develop both speakers. Just perhaps this forum isn't a good representation of the general population who has the means and is willing spend at those price points.

Additionally, Mr10Percent said that there were only a few thousand pairs of BL5's sold. Heck, if only a few thousand pairs of a speaker as sonically proven and iconic in design were sold over 10+ years of its existence, how many sets of BL90s / BL50s will B&O sell over their lifetime?

I love B&O and I really want them to succeed, and I love the fact that they spend the time and effort to develop the things that they do, and the concepts and tech trickle down to products that (hopefully) are sold in larger numbers -- to enable B&O to survive. I bought a pair of BL9's and BL20s because I felt they were worth it to me -- and I know I'm not normal -- my wife tells me that all the time.

It just seems like the value to money proposition is a broader question about where society and those with the means to spend that kind of money on speakers see it as being "well spent." My gut tells me people's sensibilities are changing and that high end electronics from boutique brands isn't broadly accepted as a good value proposition. But then again, B&O still lives on, so I likely don't know what I'm talking about! LOL

Rather than rambling on, BAND'OH's astute quote: 

BAND'OH!:
I suppose we are all different in life. We all have different experiences and come from different backgrounds.

What one finds distasteful, another may find palatable. I just hope there are enough folks out there who find B&O's wares palatable for the company to survive long into the future.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,348 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 11:47 AM

There are two Beolab 50 threads. 

Maybe they should be merged?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,348 Posts
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 11:47 AM

There are two Beolab 50 threads. 

Maybe they should be merged?

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,377 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:20 PM
I wonder how much weight the engine of the lifter can support ?

Did B&O made tests with... a flower pot, a lamp, a cat, grandma (!) or something else ?

Big Smile
BillC
Top 500 Contributor
121 Posts
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 7:30 PM
I have to say I actually quite like the design of the BeoLab 50Big Smile. I'm already sold on it without even hearing it

Definitely have better chance of getting wife approvalSmile And the magic of those lens popping up will never cease to amaze me - if I manage to get one I'd probably keep pressing the power button to watch the magic work for a thousand times in the first week haha.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,510 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 10:50 PM

CB:
I wonder how much weight the engine of the lifter can support ?

Did B&O made tests with... a flower pot, a lamp, a cat, grandma (!) or something else ?

Big Smile

That's a good point. By the way, wood speakers with water stains in the shape of circles from flower pots being sat on top shows who really wears the pants in the family. Stick out tongue

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
217 Posts
Bronze Member
You can trust our friends in Manchester to be first with a video on the Beolab 50.

5 views so far. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Imnx5uoTEvA
John
Not Ranked
Manchester
14 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:42 AM

Thanks StKong. I can confirm they sound as good as they look. 

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
1,823 Posts
Bronze Member

New about BeoLab 50 - Pull here.

Frank_Andresen
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member

I dont know if this is the design brief or the design concept from the designers. But now you know why Beolab 50 looks the way it does.

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
319 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:46 AM

Well Geoffs youtube videos aren't locked as 'private' anymore, and the speaker is up on B&Os official website, along with a couple of marketing videos.

I'm sorry to have to swim against the tide, but from the photos and measurements, I REALLY like the design aesthetically.

There are echoes of both modern and traditional B&O design elements that make it a timeless design in a modern home in my view.

To be sure, less iconic and 'futuristic' as the Beolab 5 - but I know from friends comments that as many people disliked the look of the Beoloab 5 and wouldn't give them house space as did  like them - especially if they had more traditional furniture.

Whereas, I could see this speaker fitting elegantly and simply into a much greater variety of furnishing and architectural styles.

And at just over a metre tall, it is not likely to be unduly attention seeking and dominating in a room either.

If i were ever in a position to move up from my Beolab 9's which I adore, this would be the speaker.

And as for the technical achievements - simply an engineering and acoustic tour de force and nothing less.

Cheers

John..  :-)

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

StKong:
You can trust our friends in Manchester to be first with a video on the Beolab 50.

5 views so far. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Imnx5uoTEvA

Interesting video, thanks for taking the time to put together. I am not keen on the look of the 50s but the acoustic lens movement is very impressive and well thought out, especially the opening/closing movement to adjust field etc. I'll have a listen next time I am in a B&O store although that'll only be if the Eclipse is worth seeing on release. Good luck with these B&O. Simon.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

John:

There are echoes of both modern and traditional B&O design elements that make it a timeless design in a modern home in my view.

To be sure, less iconic and 'futuristic' as the Beolab 5 - but I know from friends comments that as many people disliked the look of the Beoloab 5 and wouldn't give them house space as did  like them - especially if they had more traditional furniture.

Whereas, I could see this speaker fitting elegantly and simply into a much greater variety of furnishing and architectural styles.

And at just over a metre tall, it is not likely to be unduly attention seeking and dominating in a room either.

I think these are very valid points John and agree with what you write. Of course the difficulty with designing something is that we are all drawn to different things, so there's never going to be one solution that pleases everybody. I loved the design of the 5s because aesthetically, they broke so many traditional boundaries, which really appealed to me in a non-conformist manner. However, as you mention, I too knew others who really didn't like them at all and wanted something far more traditional looking. I guess some people like change, some don't and both views are equally valid. Perhaps in this sense then the 50s might have a broader appeal? Let's see what develops and wish B&O the very best of course.

The sound, I have no doubt, is going to be very impressive. I have never questioned anything audio wise from B&O and always found all of their speaker offerings nothing but a treat sound wise. Visually though, I do feel they are still slightly too big for the average household. I think this is where 9s found a perfect fit dimension, if you will, in that they were noticeable and striking but without being too overbearing. Of course much depends on house and room size but I feel the market here is a 4+ bedroom family home. Again, let's see how the market goes.

For me personally, I would have liked to have seen a departure from wooden lamellas and aluminium, the latter of which is very signature B&O I know; but I was hoping for something a bit different, a new design statement altogether (like the 5s were) rather than a mix of what we already know from the existing product range. The posted photo of the BL2 + BL18 is very apt I think. B&O always used to surprise me, which was the excitement in the run up to a new product release. However, in recent years you can pretty much predict what they are going to design as nothing is really that different looking. I note from the other video link (thanks, a great watch) that the covers are interchangeable and they are currently developing new coloured aluminium stripped covers to be released at a later date, so that's definitely a good thing and might make them a bit more hip looking going forward.

Certainly hope these find a market though and as stated in my earlier post, I really do like the B&O magic around the lens area - absolutely fantastic; a great selling point that is at least one more way of making them stand out from the crowd.

Simon.

Page 11 of 28 (420 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL