rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 91 Replies | 6 Followers

tat960
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Bronze Member
tat960 posted on Thu, Jun 22 2017 7:51 PM

We just received the following announcement from Spotify:

“We want to give you a heads up that Spotify support will soon be removed from your Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5 speaker. 

We want to make playing Spotify on your speaker and other devices better and easier which means regrettably that we sometimes have to discontinue device-specific integrations.

For alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotify on your product, please contact your Bang & Olufsen store.

Thanks and keep rocking, 
Spotify”

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

We have a BeoSound 5 connected to B&O speakers.  What does this announcement mean for us?  What are the “alternative ways to keep enjoying Spotfy on your product?”

All Replies

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
82 Posts
Bronze Member

TWG:

I have to admit that it's a really fair solution from Bang & Olufsen!

As it seems official:
Can we ask our dealers to get the free Chromecast Audio and USB/Line-Adapter? Afterwards Spotify is back on your Beosound 5 and the ML-Network. Sounds fair. From the premium / luxury company perspective they had to act proactive and inform us BEFORE Spotify was removed. That would have saved them a few disapointed customers. :)

Hello TWG,

I don't understand how this is fair ? Until last week week I was able to go to my bedroom at the evening, press amem blindly and a color and enjoy (start/change playlists, skip songs,...) spotify for an hour until my beotime turned the system off. And in the morning be woken up with Amem and playlist 1 with classical music.

Explain to me how on a 5000$ machine this is fair that now I have to remember to take my phone with me upstairs (something i have never done, i don't want to sleep with a wifi connected phone next to me) and how this will wake me up?

I however agree that a proactive communication should have avoided or at least managed expectations, especially when this was already in the pipeline since 2015 (from what i understand of one of the previous posting) but they decided to let it rot for two years and get the disgruntled reactions. Pure arrogance.

MJBeo
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
217 Posts
Gold Member
MJBeo replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 3:10 PM

It is too sad that Beosound 5 lost Spotify support, because I was actually saving to get one, some day. Getting the sound of a spotify playlist started with just the touch of button (no phone) was the whole reason for me to get a BS5. But I do not own any mp3's anymore (streaming generation), so without being able to hack it to keep it up to date myself, a BS5 is not really a future-proof investment. Is there anyone on this forum who tried to use the hardware and the windows software to create their own music player on the BS5? It is windows-based, so would it be possible to hack it to do exactly what we want? I thought about giving it a try with the Beomedia 1, to install spotify desktop client and route the sound output to masterlink, but I never got to actually doing it.

Beosystem 5500 + Playmaker MKI + RL60.2 / MCL2 A + RL35      BV7-32 MKIII + Raspberry Pi3 + Lintronic -238 + MCL2P & CX50 / Cona     4 link rooms with MCL2 A / MCL2 A/V + MCL2P  + CX100 / CX50 / Grundig 210a     Various Vintage restore objects

Stefan E
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
88 Posts
Gold Member
I wrote to B&O and suggested that they release the Beomaster 5/Beosound 5 software/firmware as open source if they can't or will fix this. Then can the Beo community continue to develop the BS5 for the future.

Stefan

BS3 DVB-HD, BV7-40 MKIII, BC6-26, BC6-23, BV4-50/BS2, BS5, BS9000, BL3500, MLGW, BLGW, PlayMaker, - BS6500, BS4500, LX6000, VX7000, MX5500, VX5000 - Beo6, Beo5, BeoTimex2, Linctonic

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Brexit Island
135 Posts
Gold Member

Stefan E:
I wrote to B&O and suggested that they release the Beomaster 5/Beosound 5 software/firmware as open source if they can't or will fix this. Then can the Beo community continue to develop the BS5 for the future.

Stefan

Isn't the BeoSound 5 based on some embedded version of Microsoft Windows?  If that's the case I think there is zero chance they'll release the source.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,001 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 8:29 PM

It's based on Windows XP...

BeoMotion
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Bronze Member

Stefan E:
I wrote to B&O and suggested that they release the Beomaster 5/Beosound 5 software/firmware as open source

I'm pretty sure that this really isn't going to happen...

MJBeo:
Is there anyone on this forum who tried to use the hardware and the windows software to create their own music player on the BS5? 

At the moment the only possibility you have is to either install the Spotify Desktop client or shairport4w. The first will give you the CONNECT feature and the second one enables airplay. For both you have to activate A.AUX and of course you have neither the possibility to control anything via the BS5 nor any visible feedback.

Several years ago I coded a proof of concept software for polling the wheel and button data via USB from BS5. It was straight forward and worked nice.
In my eyes the only solution for BS5 to survive would be to replace the complete OS with Linux and program everything from scratch.
It is a solvable problem but requires really a lot of work that nobody will pay for.
Although BS/BM5 is a hackers dream as everything is easily accessible it would require at least a person doing this full-time with good skills in Linux/C/C++/QT...

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
504 Posts
Bronze Member
9 LEE:

The very reason Spotify will no longer support their own app on this operating system. Microsoft haven't supported XP for over two years now...
StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
954 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 11:05 PM

w5bno123:
9 LEE:

The very reason Spotify will no longer support their own app on this operating system. Microsoft haven't supported XP for over two years now...

Pass the buck, time, big time.

I've got an idea, now that someone has bought a £4.5k audio master that is now useless for a promised streaming service as well as no good for  getting artwork and meta data for CD rips thereby leaving my £30k or more system unusable. Why don't we give the the original purchaser a discount on a current product that is nearly obsolete.

Laughing

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
954 Posts
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Wed, Jun 28 2017 11:09 PM

Frederic:

Hello TWG,

I don't understand how this is fair ? Until last week week I was able to go to my bedroom at the evening, press amem blindly and a color and enjoy (start/change playlists, skip songs,...) spotify for an hour until my beotime turned the system off. And in the morning be woken up with Amem and playlist 1 with classical music.

Explain to me how on a 5000$ machine this is fair that now I have to remember to take my phone with me upstairs (something i have never done, i don't want to sleep with a wifi connected phone next to me) and how this will wake me up?

I however agree that a proactive communication should have avoided or at least managed expectations, especially when this was already in the pipeline since 2015 (from what i understand of one of the previous posting) but they decided to let it rot for two years and get the disgruntled reactions. Pure arrogance.

Totally agree and in addition the sound from that USB/Line-adpater is  dreadful!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,161 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 12:06 AM
StUrrock:

Pass the buck, time, big time.

.........as well as no good for getting artwork and meta data for CD rips.

Has this facility disappeared too? I've not ripped anything in a while.
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
595 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 5:01 AM

I just want to correct something said above - with Spotify and a Chromecast, once the music is started, your phone is no longer "in the loop" - that is, you can take calls, play videos, etc., and it will not disrupt the music until Spotify needs additional user input to find new music to play (i.e. end of a playlist, end of an album, etc.).  I've even left the house with my phone and found the music still playing upon my return.

That said, lately I've only been able to get Airplay to work with the Essence/Chromecast and my wife's iPhone 6. 

Not saying this is a remedy, but it's not quite as bad as what someone said above.  I guess I'm glad I never learned how to start Spotify from my Beo4.

Stan

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,365 Posts
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 8:06 AM

Stefan E:

Stefan

That will never gonna happen: Bang & Olufsen does not even release enough documentation about their products! Sad

We have an extra thread for mainenance etc. of the Beomaster 5 / Beosound 5 where all members that can help can contribute:
http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/14541.aspx

Frederic
Top 500 Contributor
Belgium
82 Posts
Bronze Member

StUrrock:

Frederic:

Hello TWG,

Totally agree and in addition the sound from that USB/Line-adpater is  dreadful!

Being right doesn't make me less mad. ;-)

They knew that this moment (no pun intended) was coming and decided to alienate their clients by keeping them in the dark, disgusting and unacceptable !

I'm not willing to let this go, I demand a better solution for this kind of money ! a 35$ dollar chromecast is too easy and doesn't give me my comfort of use back like following things I noticed:

- my 5y old daughter knows that her playlist is une AMEM + 3 (from K3 a Belgian Kids band) she just loved it, what do I do now, give her an/my 800$ iphone

- I have garden speakers and there most of the time bad Wifi, so no control whatsoever anymore.

I'm looking at legal actions, as I said unacceptable.

Furthermore mails to B&O (Monday) have been unanswered, idem for informing the regional manager (which salary we as clients pay) refuses to answer.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,365 Posts
Bronze Member
TWG replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 5:05 PM

Frederic:

They knew that this moment (no pun intended) was coming and decided to alienate their clients by keeping them in the dark, disgusting and unacceptable !

Isn't this nowadays common behaviour of most companies? Sadly...

Stefan E
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
88 Posts
Gold Member

I was in contact with Spotify and they have released a new SDK for Windows to their partners that replace the old SDK LibSpotify, so it´s up to their parters to use it.

So B&O seems that they have had the tools to solve this on their end if they have wanted to do it in advance....

BS3 DVB-HD, BV7-40 MKIII, BC6-26, BC6-23, BV4-50/BS2, BS5, BS9000, BL3500, MLGW, BLGW, PlayMaker, - BS6500, BS4500, LX6000, VX7000, MX5500, VX5000 - Beo6, Beo5, BeoTimex2, Linctonic

Page 4 of 7 (92 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL