Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
692 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Stan replied on Sat, May 6 2017 3:06 PM
Verified by nigel123
Yes, of course.

According to some on this forum, I either have poor taste, bad ears or listen too much with my eyes because I think the BL2 is great. I only listen to music. It is a great compliment to my BL8000 (first) and BL1 (now).

Unfortunately, as you can see from the other responses, your results may vary, and the only way to know for sure is to listen yourself (which can be tough in the 2nd hand market).

If you do buy one, please spend some time experimenting with placement and switch settings. This can be the difference between excellent and boomy, muddy bass.

Stan

All Replies

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 7 2017 3:37 PM

There is no such thing as a "fast" subwoofer, that's a misapplication of terms that drives me nuts. A fast subwoofer is called a tweeter. What there are are either poorly damped subwoofers, that continue to ring after the tone is gone, an overhang, or poorly located subs that excite room modes that result in significant peaks, and poorly chosen crossover points.

The BL2 is designed to use passive radiators, which has the poorest transient response of any bass alignment, other than perhaps one or two vented alignments that are rarely used. It does let you make a very small cabinet though as you don't have to have room inside for a large vent tube. Th BL2 also suffers from only having three xover points, and three level settings (corner, wall, and free). This can make it problematic to get a good set of settings, depending on the room and where it's located. Which is why I think opinions about it are so varied, in addition to the personal taste question.

All of which goes to illustrate that setting up a subwoofer is not as easy as most people, and most marketing departments, think. One approach I've seen done is to locate the sub at your listening chair or area, and then walk around the room and listen for where the bass sounds best, then put the sub there.

Good luck, for 500 pounds, that's a steal. I'd buy it, try it, move it around and experiment with settings, and then if you can't get it right sell it on, might even make a bit of money.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:

The BL2 is designed to use passive radiators, which has the poorest transient response of any bass alignment, other than perhaps one or two vented alignments that are rarely used. It does let you make a very small cabinet though as you don't have to have room inside for a large vent tube. Th BL2 also suffers from only having three xover points, and three level settings (corner, wall, and free). This can make it problematic to get a good set of settings, depending on the room and where it's located. Which is why I think opinions about it are so varied, in addition to the personal taste question.

All of which goes to illustrate that setting up a subwoofer is not as easy as most people, and most marketing departments, think. One approach I've seen done is to locate the sub at your listening chair or area, and then walk around the room and listen for where the bass sounds best, then put the sub there.

Good luck, for 500 pounds, that's a steal. I'd buy it, try it, move it around and experiment with settings, and then if you can't get it right sell it on, might even make a bit of money.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Quite agree with the thoughts on the passive radiators, they just make music sound too flabby, with the bass sounds reverberating way after the bass note has ended. Its a bit like listening to music in St Paul's Cathedral, the echo is charming for a while then just gets irksome.

With regards to room alignment also agree, for example the BeoLab5s, which have excellent bass sound, but quite often after running the room alignment process the speakers would actually seem to sound worse in certain circumstances,.

It is a shame that the new BeoVision TVs have excellent potential for setting up perfect bass, but to my knowledge there is no guide to assist installers and owners through the complex software possibilities.

Most important of all its your eyes ears and pocket that counts. So if you like the looks, sound and cost (@ £500 one fitth less then when new!) go for it.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 7 2017 8:24 PM

StUrrock, you're a man of few words! Stick out tongue

Jeff

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member

..or too quick a mouse finger :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

StUrrock:

It is a shame that the new BeoVision TVs have excellent potential for setting up perfect bass, but to my knowledge there is no guide to assist installers and owners through the complex software possibilities.

You should be able to find some inspiration here:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2014/01/10/bo-tech-subwoofer-tweaking-for-beginners/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,218 Posts
Founder
Jeff:

A fast subwoofer is called a tweeter.

đŸ¤£

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, May 7 2017 11:37 PM

I've always been curious as to what the specifics of the BL2 and BL11 crossovers were. What frequency(s), what slopes, and such. I think the BL11 has only one xover point, but the BL2 has three, allegedly spec'd for different sat speakers (BL1, etc.) but it would be pretty helpful in setting one up to know the details.

Jeff

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member

Jeff:
I've always been curious as to what the specifics of the BL2 and BL11 crossovers were. What frequency(s), what slopes, and such. I 

It's not explicitly stated in specs or service manual, however there's a clue.

The Beolab 2 block diagram, shows wall, free, corner selection as a selectable notch filter - which makes sense. Now the interesting bit is the first selector is a simple "gain" and the PL output (exact cutoff we are interested in knowing) is a fixed high pass. Indeed I do recall the cutoff not being audibly different when changing pos. 1,2,3. Would have to check that playing white noise and an RTA.

If I would guess it is fairly high, something around 100hz and quite steep 24dB/oct.

Agreed would be very nice to have such technical details because setting up any subwoofer is tricky even with a lot of controls not present on BL2.

But I suppose such gory details are not in b&o taste.Confused

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 8 2017 3:57 PM

davidr:

Jeff:
I've always been curious as to what the specifics of the BL2 and BL11 crossovers were. What frequency(s), what slopes, and such. I 

It's not explicitly stated in specs or service manual, however there's a clue.

The Beolab 2 block diagram, shows wall, free, corner selection as a selectable notch filter - which makes sense. Now the interesting bit is the first selector is a simple "gain" and the PL output (exact cutoff we are interested in knowing) is a fixed high pass. Indeed I do recall the cutoff not being audibly different when changing pos. 1,2,3. Would have to check that playing white noise and an RTA.

If I would guess it is fairly high, something around 100hz and quite steep 24dB/oct.

Agreed would be very nice to have such technical details because setting up any subwoofer is tricky even with a lot of controls not present on BL2.

But I suppose such gory details are not in b&o taste.Confused

Very interesting, thanks! Since the xover switch was supposed to be, if I recall, set to different places for different speakers, it's odd that it seems to be fixed HP. Maybe the switch is more of a sub level switch, for different satellite efficiencies?

Jeff

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,523 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, May 9 2017 6:23 AM

Hi,

do we have REAL data instead of guessing? Does anybody know the real crossover frequencies of the Beolab 2? It must be documented somewhere...

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 9 2017 3:59 PM

TWG:

Hi,

do we have REAL data instead of guessing? Does anybody know the real crossover frequencies of the Beolab 2? It must be documented somewhere...

Only The Shadow knows, and probably Geoff Martin. Surprise

I do wish someone who actually knows would chime in, I've been curious about this for years now.

Jeff

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
860 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi just to add - I had one and it was fantstic with Films hooked upto BL8000's. Music also benefitted from it in freeing up the lab 8s to play mid and highs. However, that was in a big room with high ceilings. I then moved that setup into my study for music only and the room was just too small - even playing around with the settings, the ceiling was too low, I was too close to it and was unable to position it in between the speakers. Added to the fact that the floor was wooden did not make for a good experience. 

So I think it is more a question of where is it going, with what is it being paired and what is it driving and what sort of sound do you like?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
860 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi just to add - I had one and it was fantstic with Films hooked upto BL8000's. Music also benefitted from it in freeing up the lab 8s to play mid and highs. However, that was in a big room with high ceilings. I then moved that setup into my study for music only and the room was just too small - even playing around with the settings, the ceiling was too low, I was too close to it and was unable to position it in between the speakers. Added to the fact that the floor was wooden did not make for a good experience. 

So I think it is more a question of where is it going, with what is it being paired and what is it driving and what sort of sound do you like?

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL