Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Stan
Top 150 Contributor
692 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Stan replied on Sat, May 6 2017 3:06 PM
Verified by nigel123
Yes, of course.

According to some on this forum, I either have poor taste, bad ears or listen too much with my eyes because I think the BL2 is great. I only listen to music. It is a great compliment to my BL8000 (first) and BL1 (now).

Unfortunately, as you can see from the other responses, your results may vary, and the only way to know for sure is to listen yourself (which can be tough in the 2nd hand market).

If you do buy one, please spend some time experimenting with placement and switch settings. This can be the difference between excellent and boomy, muddy bass.

Stan

All Replies

smuehli
Top 500 Contributor
Ludwigsburg, Germany
102 Posts
Bronze Member
Suggested by smuehli

O - Yes, of course!

O - No. never

O - Maybe, depending on your favourites

Mark the preferred answer . . . . 

Is this the correct answer? ;-)

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,903 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Nigel,

If you listen to movies, then Beolab 2 is a good (but not great) subwoofer to add extra bass.  However, going for a different subwoofer that performs better (in my opinion the REL T7/i is one that outperformed the Beolab 2 in my own tests) is likely to be a worse INVESTMENT than Beolab 2.

This is because Beolab 2 values are reasonably stable, so you shouldn't lose too much money on it over a reasonable time period.  However, it isn't likely to increase in value.  For music listening, I personally wouldn't recommend Beolab 2 unless you like really bass-heavy music Geeked

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,523 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, May 6 2017 8:28 AM

User Olivsab successfully protected me from buying a Beolab 2, too. Wink He listens to some of the same kind of music like me and he said the same thing like Steve and many others:

Beolab 2 for movies: Good

Beolab 2 for music: Please choose another subwoofer.

If you want to stay with Bang & Olufsen subwoofers you can choose
- Beoplay S8 subwoofer
- Beolab 14 subwoofer
- Beolab 19

if you need earth shaking power please consider another brand or built your own.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
256 Posts
Bronze Member

I've had mine ten years. Attach it to a good Beosystem 4 based source and its excellent and controlled.  You will hear different to this from people who've attached it to older sources and I would agree its a bit 'lazy' in those instances, pumping out a bass ideally suited to movies and dance music played loud. On an Avant, 11 or V1 its perfect! 

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,465 Posts
Founder
I agree.

Used my Beolab 2 with a Beosytem 3.

OK, but I always felt it could be better.

Now I upgraded to a Beosystem 4 and the performance of the Beolab 2 has improved a lot.

For me it is just fine now.

For music you change the audio settings etc. in the Beosytem 4 - which I didn't so far.

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member
With the two passive side speakers, the beolab2 imho sounds dreadful for music .
Stan
Top 150 Contributor
692 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Stan replied on Sat, May 6 2017 3:06 PM
Verified by nigel123
Yes, of course.

According to some on this forum, I either have poor taste, bad ears or listen too much with my eyes because I think the BL2 is great. I only listen to music. It is a great compliment to my BL8000 (first) and BL1 (now).

Unfortunately, as you can see from the other responses, your results may vary, and the only way to know for sure is to listen yourself (which can be tough in the 2nd hand market).

If you do buy one, please spend some time experimenting with placement and switch settings. This can be the difference between excellent and boomy, muddy bass.

Stan
mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
921 Posts
Bronze Member
Stan:

Yes, of course.

Stan

I love them. Have had a couple.

Have lab 5s in both listening areas now so don't need it.

But it's heck of a sub!
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,428 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, May 6 2017 4:18 PM
I borrowed a BL2 some years ago when I had BL6000s. I thought it was a good addition. I didn't buy one because I lived in an apartment and thought it would make my neighbours hate me. As with all these things, sound is a very personal thing.
nigel123
Not Ranked
64 Posts
Bronze Member

Stan

Thanks for your reply i too have BL8000 have been offered the BL2 for 500 pounds. Year of Manufacture is 2002

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
2,465 Posts
Founder
Buy it

Try it

Like it: keep it

Don't like it: sell it

Big Smile

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Panasonic TX-P65STW60
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab Penta 2 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears) and Beolab 2. Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beovision 10-40 on STB Bracket wall mount masterlinked to Beosound 9000 MK3 on horizontal wall bracket driving Beolab 5000 Speakers
Bedroom: Loewe TV with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)
In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
337 Posts
Gold Member

Placement,room acoustics,settings...I listen to music,and i have heard lot of subs,would not exchange BL2 for any subwoofer.But,of course,the way of music listening is personal.

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
256 Posts
Bronze Member
nigel123:

Stan

Thanks for your reply i too have BL8000 have been offered the BL2 for 500 pounds. Year of Manufacture is 2002

Wow. Do it! That's a steal!
olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

For being more precise, I would add that for music with deep bass (the type of music TWG and I are listening), the beolab 2 won't be fast enough and the sound will be disappointing.

For a reasonable bass use, then it could be usefull.

But again if you want to use it only for music and not also for movies, it is not the best bang olufsen sub. That's not a risky buy because there is still an hard demand for it.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL