Bv11 Nvidia Shield Netflix - no 5.1 audio

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 58 Replies | 7 Followers

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member
Marcello posted on Tue, Mar 28 2017 11:46 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has managed to output 5.1 audio from the Netflix app on the Shield. 

O matter what I try I get stereo only. Netflix says that the output device must support Dolby Digita plus for surround sound to be enabled but somehow it does not work. At some point I doubted the 11 supported DD+ so I removed the speaker grille and check the service label to confirm and it does indeed support the standard. 

Any tips? The net is full of similar complaints but none are related to B&O. 

Thanks in advance,

Marcello

All Replies

Boxsti
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member
Boxsti replied on Thu, Dec 28 2017 6:25 AM

Is there news?

My Avant still does not support 5.1 with shield and netflix :-(

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

Boxsti:

Is there news?

My Avant still does not support 5.1 with shield and netflix :-(

My BV11was updated a few months ago, and I think some Avant users got the update as well. Of course this happened just days after I bought two Dr HDMI devices to enable DD+ detection myself...

I think the update was targeted at those who complained to Beocare, maybe you should contact them with the serial number of your TV. 

boskonay
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
boskonay replied on Thu, Dec 28 2017 10:07 AM

I also have an Avant 85 that wont do 5.1 (it also has problems handling DD+ from a Kaleidescape Strato which is extremely frustrating.)

It's bad that I'm googling alternatives!

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
51 Posts
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Thu, Dec 28 2017 12:28 PM

Hi !

Is your Avant 85 Gen 1 or Avant 85 NG (Android) ?

Boxsti
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member
Boxsti replied on Thu, Dec 28 2017 1:32 PM

It's shameful that the 5.1 sound works fine with Nvidia Shield TV and the cheap home cinema system from the kid's room but not the expensive Avant 2014!
I have now sent an email to B&O asking for an update of EDID!

Let's see what they answer.

My mail to B&O:

"Hello
I'm using a Beovision AVANT 2014 with an Nvidia Shield TV.
Unfortunately the 5.1 sound does not work with the apps of Netflix and Google Play!
There is only one PCM 2.0 signal.
Netflix gives the signal as DD +
It is known that the Avant has an EDID problem, many people have this problem with B & O and Nvidia Shield!
Even BEOWorld Forum is being discussed: [link removed]

I spent a lot of money on a premium system that does not work!

Can you help me with an update to make 5.1 sound possible?

Best regards

Eric" 

boskonay
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member

It's an Avant 85 Gen 1 

boskonay
Not Ranked
76 Posts
Bronze Member
boskonay replied on Sat, Dec 30 2017 11:39 AM

It's also worth adding that the issue is not exclusive to the Shield, but indeed any device trying to send the 'wrong' audio formats to the Avant. I have issues also with a Kaleidescape Strato player (I also have a Horizon which handles it effortlessly, but the Avant will simply play no audio on several film soundtrack types)

talfaia
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Marcello,

What free software did you use to modify the EDID from you BV11?

Thanks

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

talfaia:

Hi Marcello,

What free software did you use to modify the EDID from you BV11?

Thanks

I used SwitchResX on a Mac (the basic unregistered version allows you to dump the EDID), but there are plenty of solutions for Windows as well.

To modify it and add EAC3 (DD+) I used a freely available tool: http://www.lightwareusa.com/support-/downloads/667-advanced-edid-editor-software

Finally, you can validate the resulting HEX string using a web tool called edidreader.com

When you're happy, you can send the EDID to the Dr HDMI device using the included software.

If you have a BV11, I can send you the updated EDID string.

talfaia
Not Ranked
22 Posts
Silver Member

Hi Marcello,

Thank you for the detailed explanation! I was going to give it a try but since I have a BV11, I will very much accept your offer to receive your updated EDID string. I'll pm you with my e-mail address.

Thank you again!

Best,

T.Alfaia

Boxsti
Not Ranked
19 Posts
Bronze Member

Yeahhhh, Dolby Digital + works on my Avant!

B & O has stated at my request that there is a new service software for the Avant!
However, I had to activate this only through my dealer at B & O, then I was able to update my avant normal via Internet to version number 1.0.11.37494

Good support from my dealer and from B & O, however, very disappointing that the function was only released on request!

Best regards

Erich

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,903 Posts
Founder

After reading it leaves me a bit confused.

I have a BV9 with a Shield. same issue, only 2.0 sound.

But using the ATV3, I have 5.1 sound coming from the ATV3.

So, what's the real difference?  My BV obviously hasn't the right EDID, but it seems that the ATV3 doesn't care.

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:

After reading it leaves me a bit confused.

I have a BV9 with a Shield. same issue, only 2.0 sound.

But using the ATV3, I have 5.1 sound coming from the ATV3.

So, what's the real difference?  My BV obviously hasn't the right EDID, but it seems that the ATV3 doesn't care.

It's normal, the Shield and the Apple TV have different capabilities. I will try to explain, let me know if I don't make sense.

Netflix on the Shield only carries DD+ streams, not the plain DD. If the TV does not support DD+, it will output Stereo (or like we discovered if the TV has the wrong EDID). This is because the Shield does not decode on the fly DD+ and convert to plain DD for those TV's which do not support DD+. I understand it's a licensing issue (Nvidia did not pay :) )

The Apple TV on the other hand reencodes DD+ to DD, therefore you get Dolby Digital/5.1 sound.

The BV9 supports DD but not DD+, so it's in the same situation as un unpatched BV11/Avant. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal (unfortunately... I returned my first Shield when I used it on a BV10 - it was not mentioned anywhere that you needed DD+ to get multichannel sound).

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
210 Posts
Bronze Member

I will also add that some devices do not rely exclusively on the EDID. A first generation Amazon Fire TV has the option to force DD+ output even if the EDID says it's not supported.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3,903 Posts
Founder

Thanks for summarizing this. Clear and short.

But, the next thing comes to mind when I think of some sort of same situation. On the Shield there is PrimeVideo from Amazon, the same happens there. Only 2.0 stereo instead of the 5.1 (The Grand Tour, 5.1 available).

The Shield is an Android based device, so which one is to "blame" for this behaviour, The app Netflix and/or Primevideo or the Android that is restricting the app as it a kind of layer between the app and tv.

Is it Netflix that demands the right EDID, or is it Android that demands this. In case of the latter, isn't there a app available in the Playstore that could solve the EDID or takes over the "on the fly" decoding.

Page 3 of 4 (59 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL