Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Best way to connect a turntable with Beosystem 4 or Beolab 20?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

dasun
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member
dasun posted on Sat, Jan 21 2017 6:48 PM

Hi all,

I want to buy a nice turntable for my living room (e.g. Project 9 or Transrotor Zet 1), but what would be the best way (=best sound quality) to connect it with my existing B&O equipment? 

In my living room I have a Beosystem 4 (because I am using a beamer) with a B&O transmitter, which has Beolab 20 speakers and Beolab 17 speakers in the back connected to it wirelessly.

Now I understand that I will have to get a phono preamp for the turntable. But how do I connect the preamp with my equipment? If I use the transmitter to connect the turntable, the sound output will be to all four speakers, however, I only want the Beolab 20 speakers in the front to play the music. Also, connecting to the Transmitter would imply that I could not use the multiroom capabilites of the Beosystem 4.

What would be my best option? Thanks in advance! 

All Replies

dasun
Top 500 Contributor
82 Posts
Bronze Member
dasun replied on Mon, Jan 23 2017 8:47 AM

...or could I use a simple Cinch to RJ45 cable and connect the preamp with the Beosystem 4 directly?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

If you use the (only available) analog input = the A/V-input with an adapter for L/R, you can make a Speaker Group of the fronts and assign it to this input.

If your turntable hasn't already a RIAA amp, you will have to use an external one, before feeding the BSys4/A/V-port with the signal.

I would expect, that you use two (!) transmitters in order to have two seperate signals for the fronts and the backs (???).

You can only use the Transmitter if you change the settings/the switch - and you would need some kind of preamp in order to control the volume of the turntable.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,906 Posts
Gold Member

Hi dasun,

For best results, please connect the pre-amp to the AV input of the Beosystem 4 (not to the speakers or the Transmitter 1), as this is the only way that you can control the volume of the sound.  This cable will connect a pre-amp with RCA outputs to the Beosystem AV input:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/input/137-9-pin-av-cable-for-beovision-11-12-new-generation-avant-v1-and-beosystem-4-rca-phono-input.html

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
604 Posts
Bronze Member

Another option is to find a RIAA preamp with an S/P-DIF output, and connect that to the coax digital input of the BeoSystem 4.

At home, I'm using the AV input as is described above - apart from some ground hum (which is not the fault of the AV Input - the problem lies upstream) this works just fine for me!

Cheers
-g 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,906 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Geoff,

Please drop me a line and I can sort out a lead for you between the turntable and the RIAA pre-amp to cure the ground hum! Wink

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
586 Posts
Bronze Member

In my personal setup which is similar. I use a BGTX2 connected to a RIAA pre-amp then connected to a NL converter that I have named Turn Table. I use it as an audio only linked source to my BVA55. I can setup the preferred speaker modes and have the TV kill the picture as well. That has been the best way for me to integrate it outside of having a proper audio system (essence/moment). 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

Geoff Martin:

Another option is to find a RIAA preamp with an S/P-DIF output, and connect that to the coax digital input of the BeoSystem 4.

I did think of that too.

But I don't know of any such RIAA-amp - another google search did not bring any result.

You'd probably have to combine a small A to D Converter (which also seems hard to find).

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SpeaKa-Audio-Konverter-Analog-to-Digital/dp/B009R152VK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1485206890&sr=8-7&keywords=Analog-Digital-Audio-Konverter

But I am not sure how good that conversion will be.

(Besides - personally I'd rather reserve the digital input on the BV11/BSys4 for a Chromecast Audio dongle.)

I'd be more comfortable with using/trusting the analog input of a (NetworkLinked) Essence or the NL/ML Converter (if there is one in the setup).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,564 Posts
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Jan 24 2017 10:48 PM

Millemissen:
Geoff Martin:
But I don't know of any such RIAA-amp

May be the McIntosh MP100 ?

2700€...Erm..

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
13,539 Posts
Bronze Member

CB:

May be the McIntosh MP100 ?

2700€...Erm..

Sure, but.....hmmm!