rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member
Ravsted posted on Sun, Jan 15 2017 9:59 AM

Hi all,

I've got a BV5 connected to BC2 via masterlink in our small summer cottage.

Only speakers are those in the BV5. I don't want to add front speakers but I would like to connect a none B&O subwoofer. This is not possible via the BV5 menu.

Is there any work around ?

On my BV7 it's pretty easy as there are two power link sockets for center speaker (BL7)

Kind Regards 

Ravsted

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Ravsted

SOLVED

The head phone mini jack socket is volume regulated and does not mute the build in speakers.

Active sub is now connected to this socket.

Brilliant !

All Replies

Teddy_fr
Not Ranked
near ANGOULEME FRANCE
32 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Ravsted,

what kind of woofer is it, active or passive?

An active woofer, B&O or not B&O, has to be connected on the BV5 to the woofer Din socket (via a Din / RCA adapter if not B&O). In the SETUP MENU / SOUND /  SPEAKER TYPE, front speakers has to be selected (Beolab Penta for example) if not, the subwoofer socket won't be enabled.

Hope this could help you.

Marc

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

It's an active sub.

No problem connecting it. Problem is that I have to activate and select front speakers (as you mention) in order to activate the sub DIN socket. Doing that changes the sound from the build in center speakers significantly. So that is not a good solution. 

Is there any way to avoid that ? Settings in service menu ? Using earphone socket for the sub or any other creative solutions ?

Ravsted

Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Ravsted

SOLVED

The head phone mini jack socket is volume regulated and does not mute the build in speakers.

Active sub is now connected to this socket.

Brilliant !

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
893 Posts
Bronze Member
i'm thinking to do the same. like to add a BL12 to my BV5 (no other external speakers).

what cable did you buy? what's your experience with the sound?
Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I did not connect a B&O sub.

I connected a 200€ 8" active sub.

It is connected with a stereo minijack to RCA cable.

The sub turns on/off automatically when it senses signal on the line in signal. On a none B&O sub you can also regulate cut off frequency and volume as you'd like. In a none standard setup like this I cannot recommend connecting a B&O sub. 

I recommend that you try to borrow a none B&O sub and purchase a stereo minijack to RCA cable and try it out. I have my BV5 in a corner so the sub is not visible. 

Sounds really good - adding that extra depth to both movies and music.

Ravsted

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
893 Posts
Bronze Member
why would you suggest not to use a B&O sub? money aside, anything else holding you back? what cable would i need?
Ravsted
Top 500 Contributor
182 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi, a BL2 is normally connected via powerlink cable. The powerlink cable has a volume regulated line signal and a tricker to turn on the build in amplifier.

The mini jack socket for head phones is also a volume regulated signal - but I do not know if it is the exact same volume level as you find in the powerlink signal.

However, the tricker signal is missing. There are special cables on the market (e.g RCA > DIN) where the tricker signal is separated in e.g a USB cable in order to turn on B&O speakers when used with a computer or none B&O television. I have not tried them myself. The company AV connection is showing demos on Youtube.

But I don't see what should deliver that tricker signal when BV5 is turned on/off and I dont know if the BL2 could get damaged or sound distorted when using signal from head phone jack rather than powerlink socket.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL