Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Steve
Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve posted on Sun, Jan 15 2017 3:32 AM

Hello friends,

I recently acquired a Beogram TX2. MMC3 needle had broken off prior to getting it, so I have a new cartridge on order from Sound-Smith, a SMMC3. Everything seems to function otherwise, so I am looking forward to testing it for real.

Question regarding the platter...does everyone with a TX2 and/or RX2 place their records direct on the platter? I know (or suspect at least) the platter markings help the arm automatically decipher the record diameter, and it looks like the turntable raises the record slightly when playing, but I am a little uncomfortable placing the records directly on a metal surface...I've always had traditional arm turntables and have used cork, foam and lately felt DJ mats (on my 1200 MK2 anyway).

If anyone IS using a slipmat, what make/model/material? If not, have your records fared OK being placed on the metal direct (i.e. no additional scratches etc)?

Thanks all,

Steve

--- 

Steve

Completely addicted to anything and everything vinyl... 3000+ LP records and the following turntables:

1. B&O TX2 (newly acquired), SMMC3 cart

2. Technics SL-1200 MK2 / AT120eb cart

3. U-Turn Orbit / Ortofon OM 5E

4. Realistic (C.E.C) LAB-420 / Shure M97X

5. Realistic (C.E.C) LAB-450 / AT95e

6. Pioneer (C.E.C) PL-12D II / Pickering AC-1 (conical)

All Replies

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
339 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,

of course, you put the record directly on the platter. Don't worry, it has a special coating and the black lines are even a little higher. I'v read somewhere that this is nextel suede coating. 

The lines were needed for the earlier models (400x and 800x), because those had a light reflection sensor to detect the size of the record. But all players that have the black "45-adapter" select the size by weighing the record. 

Otherwise, if you would use a slip mat, the record would come too high.

Chris

Steve
Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Sun, Jan 15 2017 4:48 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for the reply! Sounds good and makes sense ... I figured they would have coated the black bars or did something to safeguard from scratching the vinyl. Thanks for confirming! 

In that case I will wait for my new cart to arrive then just start using it. It's my first B&O, and first linear tracker in general...I've had a Technics 1200 MK2 for years, and a smattering of other tables...currently have the 1200, a Pioneer PL-12d, U-turn Orbit, two Realistic (C.E.C) LAB-420 and LAB-450. Always wanted a B&O 😊

Thanks again!

Steve

--- 

Steve

Completely addicted to anything and everything vinyl... 3000+ LP records and the following turntables:

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
11,264 Posts
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 6:41 AM

You should never use a "slipmat" on a Bang & Olufsen turntable.
They don't improve anything, they will only mess up the tracking angle and record autosense.

Tangential decks will see it as a record and attempt to play it = goodbye needle.

Use the mat as a frisbee in the garden, that'll be a much better use.

Martin

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,634 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 1:49 PM

I used to have a VPI HW19 with a carbon fiber arm and MC cartridge, complete with record clamp and the acrylic platter. You can't imagine how liberating it was to go to my BG3000 tangential with MMC2, just plop the record on, maybe rotate the platter and use a fiber brush to clean off any dust, and then just play the damn record. People would gasp and say, how much worse does it sound! Well, as with most LP rigs, it appears to sound different, but not what I'd call worse! And with it I don't obsess about it but just listen to the music!

I hope the table and new cartridge works out well for you and you enjoy it. A work of art that also plays LPs.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Steve
Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 4:08 PM

Thanks Martin...as I said I'm new to B&O, so will take that to heart. Probably a good thing too...I've only used felt mats lately but the rubber mats I've had in the past, some have literally decomposed on me into a pool of liquid rubber. I cringe thinking what it was doing to my records, so I'll use them for next round of frisbee golf :)

--- 

Steve

Steve
Not Ranked
San Jose, CA
7 Posts
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Mon, Jan 16 2017 4:09 PM

Thanks Jeff! Looking forward to trying it out. I agree, the turntable is truly a work of art....a nice change from the rather industrial ones I've used over the years. Will have a listen once my cartridge arrives :)

--- 

Steve

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL