rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 16 Replies | 2 Followers

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member
stuart50_1 posted on Sat, Jan 7 2017 1:36 PM

HI,

I recently had my Beovision 6 DVB MK3 updated by the dealer. On the software update it has damaged the DVB tuner and it is no longer functional. The dealer seems to think it is acceptable for him to strap a Freeview box onto the back of the TV and is under the impression that it is a suitable solution. The dealer has told me that the parts to repair it are no longer available, what do you think my legal position is in regards to a replacement TV?

Regards,

Stuart

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by stuart50_1

9 LEE:
However, I'm not certain how the SW could be uploaded if the module is corrupted?  Can you force it through?

Sometimes... and the engineer may have already tried this, but gven the DVB-HD software is available for customer download, I'm currently talking the OP through this procedure by email.

Martin.

All Replies

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jan 7 2017 2:20 PM

Damaged in what way?  Physical breakage, or they've tried to update it and corrupted the software?

Lee

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Software damage iand t know needs a new DVB unit which is no longer available 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi Stuart,

Can you let me know what is listed under "Type", "Acc" and "SW" on the product label (you'll need to remove the speaker cover for this as the label is underneath).

Do you know which software version / build has been installed by the dealer?

Depending on which version of 6-26 you own, some of the software builds may not support the model of DVB tuner installed, so it might simply be a case of needing to re-flash a different version.

Martin.

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

The type is a 9292

Acc is DHD

There isn't an SW on the product label. How would I find the version of the installed software? I would imagine that the dealer would've installed the latest software.

Regards, 

Stuart

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member

stuart50_1:
How would I find the version of the installed software?

Hi Stuart,

Press MENU (press it twice if the first press just shows the extra buttons for the current source).

Use the down button until 'OPTIONS' is highlighted, but don't press GO to actually select this menu.

Press the red button, then press GO, this will bring you into the customer service menu.

There is a sub-menu from here named 'STATUS INFO' where you will find the software versions for all of the modules.

If you can reply with these I will see if they look correct for the DVB module that is installed in your television.

Kind regards,

Martin.

stuart50_1
Not Ranked
10 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi thanks 

Ap sw 10.11a

Ap boot 01.10a

iop sw23.00a

m2 sw 10.11a

stb table 05.26a

dtv Rep sw 01.30a

dtv sw version 0.0.0.0.0

Dtv he model is 0.0.0.0

If I reading this correctly it does not look as if there is any software on the DVB tuner ?, it was a Bang and olufsen Engineer that I asked to up grade the software .

I did read the services page on his laptop . He did not have a USB with him and I leant him one . It did have content on it ,on the Bang Olufsen services page it did say use a USB with no other content on . 

serial number is 22253453

type 9292

item number 1830290

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Stuart,

It wasn't clear from your initial post whether it was a service engineer or the store themselves who had performed the update for you, albeit you were looking for advice on your legal position rather than technical information which understandably makes this detail irrelevant. I honestly have no idea where you stand legally in this respect.

My initial thoughts were that they might have accidently selected build 9.x when performing the update, which would then not support your DVB-HD module.

From the software versions listed above I can see this is not the case though, and in any case this is mistake that was much less likely to have been made by an experienced service engineer.

The zero version numbers are probably the result of failure of communication between the tv and the DVB module which could indeed indicate that the DVB module or it's software update failed.

Kind regards,

Martin.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 4:09 PM

If the engineer chose the correct model and type number on the service tool it would have given him the correct software to load to the USB wouldn't it?

Either way, I'm with Martin.  I think the SW has become corrupted - and a reinstall would be the best policy.

However, I'm not certain how the SW could be uploaded if the module is corrupted?  Can you force it through?

Back to the recourse thing though.  If you took your Rolex into a jewellers for a service, they broke it, then strapped a Casio Digital to it and said "well, it still tells the time..." - would that be acceptable?

Lee

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by stuart50_1

9 LEE:

Sometimes... and the engineer may have already tried this, but gven the DVB-HD software is available for customer download, I'm currently talking the OP through this procedure by email.

Martin.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 4:16 PM

Thumbs Up

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
899 Posts
Bronze Member

A forced update of the DVB firmware appears to have resolved the issue Smile

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
7,047 Posts
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 7:24 PM

Brilliant!  Lets have a Party !!!

Kudos to Martin for being so kind and helping - and Yipee for the man who's got his DVB back!! 

That engineer owes you a pint....

Lee

Aegnor
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

stuart50_1:

HI,

I recently had my Beovision 6 DVB MK3 updated by the dealer. On the software update it has damaged the DVB tuner and it is no longer functional. The dealer seems to think it is acceptable for him to strap a Freeview box onto the back of the TV and is under the impression that it is a suitable solution. The dealer has told me that the parts to repair it are no longer available, what do you think my legal position is in regards to a replacement TV?

Regards,

Stuart

Very interested in how this turns out. One thing caught my attention... is the MK3-version of DVB-HD compatible with BeoVision 6-26" (or BeoCenter 6-26")?

Let us know if you (or your dealer) do get this upgrade working and what modules were changed and if there were any additional modifications done on your BV 6-26" to get this T2-tuner working.

Aegnor
Not Ranked
12 Posts
Bronze Member

Great to hear the SW update worked! 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL