Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark posted on Wed, Jan 4 2017 11:28 PM

This made me laugh from the BBC....

Vinyl sales topped three million last year, the highest UK total in 25 years.

More than 3.2 million records were sold in 2016, a rise of 53% on the previous year, according to the BPI, which represents the music industry.

David Bowie's Blackstar was the most popular album on vinyl, selling more than double the number of copies of 2015's biggest-seller, Adele's 25.

The last time vinyl fared so well in the UK, in 1991, Simply Red's Stars was the year's biggest-selling record.

But 48% of those surveyed said they did not play the vinyl they bought - while 7% did not even own a turntable.

It's like me buying a choux bouche for its aesthetics....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

All Replies

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
222 Posts
Bronze Member

Weren't some of these albums recorded digitally?  Putting those on a vinyl seems like a waste of time.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,147 Posts
Founder

andy_js:

Weren't some of these albums recorded digitally?  Putting those on a vinyl seems like a waste of time.

The record company apparently doesn't agree.

Martin

Alen
Top 500 Contributor
Ljubljana Slovenia
86 Posts
Bronze Member
Alen replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:04 AM

Vinyl is not as popular as hipsters want you to believe. Don't believe the hype. Laughing

BS A1 2nd gen, BS 1, Beo 1, BL 2, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2, BS 2, Beosound 2, Beplay M3, 2x BS 3, BS 4, 2x Beo 4, BS 5 + CD rip, BM 5, BL 5, BL 6000, Beo 6, BS 6, H6, BL 8000, 2x A8, BV 8-40, H9, 3x A9 Keyring, BL 12 - 3, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400, B&O Bottle Opener, BV Eclipse 55  My LEGO 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
1,063 Posts
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 9:24 AM

But I like the stat that 7% of Vinyl buyers don't own a turntable....

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
917 Posts
Bronze Member

Perhaps they bought the vinyl as presents for others that do own a turntable?

I would have loved someone to have bought me the David Bowie album on Vinyl for christmas

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,597 Posts
Bronze Member

Mark:

But I like the stat that 7% of Vinyl buyers don't own a turntable....

Surely a vinyl cover looks better on the wall than a cd cover would.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 3:02 PM

Dillen:

andy_js:

The record company apparently doesn't agree.

Martin

Regardless of if they are recorded digitally (and many were towards the end of the big vinyl era) the physical limitations of the LP medium and what you have to do to get the sound in the grooves alters it in a way many find euphonically pleasing. There are frequency dependent channel separation and phase issues, deep bass is mono, and frequency response is not as linear as a CD. Carver used to make a thing called a Digital Time Lens, an outboard box that mimicked some of these issues to make CDs sound more LP like. It worked, but most people didn't care, and the LP aficionados were not inclined to either listen to CDs at the time, plus most audiophiles looked down their nose at Carver.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
6,409 Posts
Bronze Member

My son (living in Copenhagen) is the proud owner of a BG 1000, several of his friends without TT buys vinyl and come to play it on the BG 1000, also a big party hitter, bring your vinyl lets party !!

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
3,716 Posts
Gold Member

hehe....These same pointless arguments come up every year when record sales are posted. I have a computer and iPod devices connected to a stereo system so I need a digital file version of the music to play it there. I have a CD player connected to another system so I need a CD copy to play it there. I have turntables I use in other systems so I need a vinyl copy to play it there. A few years ago I thought I would never have a use for cassette tape. Now that I have restored some players to go along with my vintage systems I would like to use them so I record music on tape to enjoy full use of my system. Go figure.  

-sonavor

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
917 Posts
Bronze Member

Yeah, it's always an argument and upto personal taste - personally I love it and am glad to see it is still around and will no doubt be for a very long time. Vinyl isn't perfect but neither are we mortals and if we strive for perfection we more often than not end up disappointed - better to enjoy the imperfections and listen to the music

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member

andy_js:

Totally agree. Why not bring back good old VHS, slide film and Cassettes? Man that analogue stuff.. can really feel the grainWhistle

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
13,147 Posts
Founder

Some of us find a peculiar discomfort in listening to music without having something rotating to watch.
Records, open reel tapes, cassette tapes are great.
CDs... well, knowing that something IS actually rotating somewhere, be that visible or not, is just about acceptable.
You can tell where the sounds come from, you can even watch them being picked up from the sound carrier.
You can tell that something is doing something to produce something and you can hear and enjoy the result.
A stray hair caught by the needle, dirty tapeheads in need of cleaning. You can see and feel what is going on and why.
It's allowed to take up some room in your house..
It's allowed to need a little tender love and care every now and then.
All very satisfying.

Having a tiny black blob on a small circuitboard playing music coming in through a socket in the wall or - even worse - wireless
streaming from godknowswhere and godknowswho, just isn't the same.

Martin

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
1,757 Posts
Gold Member
CB replied on Thu, Jan 5 2017 7:06 PM

Since I have the BL5s, I don't miss the pops and cracks of vinyls...Lightning

And while I know the hard disc of my NAS is spinning, I don't care Wink

But each time I see a Beogram (3000 3500 8500 9500) for sale, it's getting harder to resist...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL