Serene date has stopped to 2017!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Shemsky
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member
Shemsky posted on Tue, Jan 3 2017 11:04 PM

Anybody knows why the date of my Serene cell phone has run out from the 1st of january (2017)?

After this new year, I saw that the hour of my Serene was completely wrong. I checked the date settings and realised that the date was back on the year 2005 - something like reinitialised on the built date. I tried to change it, but it's not possible neither to go after 2016, nor before 2000...

So, is it a bug of the system, a special setting to enter, or REALLY the calendar is valid for only 10 years??? If it's that, I simply cannot believe that a firm like B&O was so stupid/unconscient/unprofessional for adopt this rule... My first Ericsson, somewhere from 90's, was able to set any date I want from the Ice Age to the End of the World...

All Replies

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
5,354 Posts
Silver Member

Reported here.

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/22807.aspx

My Serene became an ornament some time ago.

Graham

Shemsky
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Bronze Member

OK, thanks for your fast answer - I didn't see this message.

Actually I can't believe that... I've a B&O audio system from many years and I LOVE it, but I have some strange questions without any answers... With this Serene bug, I realise that B&O is maybe more inefficient than I never thought...

The paradoxe is that a very cheap-*** phone at 10$ will have all this kind of full-basic functions, but a supposed high-grade brand like B&O is stupidely made...

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Bronze Member

You can sort it by just shifting the year to an identical one: 2006 has the same days/dates so it looks correct (ie it says that August 3rd is a Thursday). You might have some network issues, depends where you are though.

I imagine that whoever designed it 13 years ago didn't expect that people would be using the same mobile for 10+ years. They'd see that the tech would become obsolete and in all honesty, if B&O had made a phone more recently, we wouldn't likely care about the Serene and this issue.

They're cute and I loved mine for 10 years, but nowadays it's like owning a classic car and complaining that the local garage doesn't supply leaded petrol.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

I disagree Calvin. Shevsky's point is a valid one in my opinion and I share it having owned the Serene, the Serenata and many B&O products before and since. It is ludicrous and not at all acceptable for a high end brand such as B&O to overlook something that was so obvious at the time, especially with the 'millennium bug' knowledge and debate globally around the time. It does indeed harm the brand by making them look pretty stupid, and they have continued to do this on a number of occasions since, which is why we are reading recent threads about people losing hope and looking to other brands (such as Loewe for example) to replicate what B&O 'used to do.'

Of course its riduclous that far cheaper branded phones did something that a much higher brand did not. What on earth then, justifies the premium price if its not a premium product?

Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,910 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 7:37 PM

The Serene was a truly dreadful phone - I had one and after a number of issues, the dealer took it back and returned my money. The Serenata was not really any better. Luckily just was lent one by Lee. Possibly the most comical bit of the Serene was the camera, which took pictures from the side and was almost impossible to get straight. The finish on it was nice though!

Peter

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
679 Posts
Silver Member
I'd be interested in those that own a Lumigon to see if this phone has some B&O magic in its form and function.
Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin replied on Mon, Aug 7 2017 12:17 PM

I agree that (from all the evidence) there were quality control issues, I think I just got lucky with mine.

The camera/side complaints I never understood. I held mine at waist level, somewhat discretely, pointing forward and took perfectly straight portrait photos.

Overall, I guess the price point probably boxed them in. To make a "B&O standard" phone would have meant about £2k for a product most people would upgrade from anyway in 2 years so they were forced to rebadge a Samsung phone as a unique but ultimately overpriced B&O one. I guess that's why they've not gone back to the market, although it would be nice if someone (even under lincense) made a B&O version or skin of Android that integrated seamlessly (ie not via a seperate app) as well as having that unique design/style

seethroughyou
Top 150 Contributor
UK
679 Posts
Silver Member
I'd love an iPhone but with the black background of the B&O GUI and the Beofont everywhere. Something very tranquil about that look.
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
613 Posts
Gold Member

Actually, I wish B&O would continue to make phones; both landline and mobile. The Serene, for all it's problems was a fantastic design statement with its auto opening/closing mechanism. I love my iPhone and its so good at what it does; it's brilliantly practical and useful, which the Serene wasn't... but it also lacks the magic touch that only B&O can bring to a product - LOL!! I want the best of both worlds! But that's the point isn't it? I really would like to have the best of both. It's like both are so close, but neither is ever quite their! Very happy with Apple though on many counts (but wish B&O had done it first ;)

Simon.

Current products: BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, A1

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
162 Posts
Bronze Member

Android is open source so there's really nothing to stop someone developing a B&O themed version of IOS. I'm more web/database/analytics so I can't do it but maybe someone here can. Oh wait, except then they'd likely get sued and the site shut down for distributing it, or maybe I'm too cynical... In all seriousness, I don't know what it even entails, the last customizing I did was back in the WindowsXP era when I spent a weekend playing with all the colours/fonts/settings to make my Windows experience look the same as the B&O software I had and that was pretty ace

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL