rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Beo_Vision posted on Wed, Dec 28 2016 1:15 PM

Hi Guys

We have a BeoVision 7 MK2 which has only one DVI input connected to a SKY HD box via a DVI to HDMI cable and a scart for teh audio. The issue i have is that i would like to connect up either an Apple TV or alternate HD box.

Is there a device available  (B&O or third party) that will allow me to connect multiple HD boxes to the TV?

All Replies

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
934 Posts
Bronze Member

When using an HDMI to DVI adapter with a device that doesn't have a separate audio output, you need to use an HDMI audio extractor between the device and the TV. These strip out the audio and present it as left & right analogue, and/or digital. One thing to watch out for is that many of these devices only have optical digital outputs, and you then need an optical to coax converter to connect it to a BeoVision.

An alternative might be to use something like this unit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Extractor/dp/B01HLUBJJ2

...which should solve both your HDMI switching requirements, and the audio side of things. Simply connect the HDMI output of the switch to your TV, plus a separate coax cable for the digital audio.

Note that you won't be able to use PUC control of your external devices, but this will be the case for any of the external switchers unless you go down the route of the more expensive Gefen device + software update of the BV7.

Note also that I haven't bought or used the device that I've linked to above, so it's not a personal recommendation, but the device seems to tick all the boxes in terms of not needing a large array of different converters to achieve the desired result - also, given it's amazon, it should be easy to return if it doesn't work...

Martin.

Edit:

I found this one too which is very similar and a few quid cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DZIXIMQ/

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,246 Posts
Silver Member
Please note:

If you didn't have the PCM upgrade on your MK2, it will only accept 5.1 sound through the coax input. This means that if you are watching a show from Netflix that only outputs 2.0, you will not get sound.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
934 Posts
Bronze Member

leosgonewild:
Please note:

If you didn't have the PCM upgrade on your MK2, it will only accept 5.1 sound through the coax input. This means that if you are watching a show from Netflix that only outputs 2.0, you will not get sound.

Thanks Leo, that's a good point...

The PCM functionality was introduced to the surround module in AC3 software v3.01a (it's a chip change on the surround module itself).

This software required at least version 7.84 to be installed on the television, which the OP already has, so it would be worth him checking the DSM/AC3 software version in the service menu to determine whether the surround module has has had the update installed.

Failing that, I think both of the switches I linked to also have L&R analogue outputs so he could utilise these instead of (or possibly as well as?) the digital coaxial connection if he's not concerned about surround sound.

Martin. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,246 Posts
Silver Member
I did that on my 7-32. I used the L&R, and I had the possibility to change to 5.1 if I wanted. Of course it required some serious button-mashing every time I wanted to change.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips guys, the setup needs to be as simple as possible as it's for my dad. I like the idea of the below switch as I can use the coaxial output for audio.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Extractor/dp/B01HLUBJJ2

As mentioned would I still require the software update as to ensure 2.0 audio streams (Netflix) would also play fine.

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

What's your thoughts guys, would I still need the software update to ensure surround sound compatibility via the coaxial input?

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

I purchased the switch mentioned above however in having a few issues. Firstly with my two Satellite recievers, when connected to the switch the images are shown but in pink. I was thinking it may me the DVI>HDMI cable connected from the switch to the TV however if I bypass the switch and plug directly into either reciver the picture fine. The other issue I have is that if I connect the Apple TV to the switch I get no video where as he other devices connected show in pink. 

i have tried the switch on another tv and it appears fine, any ideas? Could I need a different brand of switch?

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Any thoughts guys on why I'm getting a pink video feed via the switch, do I need to configure the tv on a specific output I.e pc??

Beo_Vision
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Any thoughts guys, don't mean to keep bumping this thread but I'm not sure what I need to do. Do you think I would have better results with a gefen switch?

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL