rated by 0 users
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael Posted: Tue, Dec 20 2016 2:31 AM

Got the BS35 today and first I'll say that it sounds great. I'm very happy with everything about this unit with one exception.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is using the optical input on the BS35. I have a variety of toslink cables that I've accumulated over the years, both high-end and amazon basic equivalents. I find that due to the plastic molding surrounding the optical jack on the BS35, none of the 10 or so cables I own will fit. I went to my local electronics store with a cable in hand that was close, but still too big only to find out that every single cable on the rack was larger and wouldn't fit. 

I was hoping to use the optical input as well as the analog RCA inputs as sources and I can't believe that the design basically eliminates most (if not all) cables on the market. Has anyone had any experience with a cable that will work? I'm in need of a cable that's at least 3 meters long. Any help, input or even some insight into why they would design it this way would be appreciated.

Another thing that kind of miffed me is that they failed to include a power cable in the box! In the US, the price of the BS35 with grill and table top stand is pretty substantial. To not include a power cable is perplexing.

All said, when it's connected to my network and playing either my music or deeper, it sounds a lot better than the A6 it's replacing. While the A6 has a slight edge on bass response, the separation and detail is a very nice upgrade.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Dec 20 2016 4:28 AM

Although I don't own a BL35, I have had a need for thin toslink cables. Even those from Monoprice seem to have thick jacks. Here's one that has worked for my applications, and having googled what the back panel of the BL35 looks like, the jacks on that cable might just work.

michaelwilson:
Another thing that kind of miffed me is that they failed to include a power cable in the box! In the US, the price of the BS35 with grill and table top stand is pretty substantial. To not include a power cable is perplexing.

This is baffling. Every B&O item should come with a power cable. Ask your dealer to supply one. Unless B&O is cutting corners from every nook and cranny, there is no reason you shouldn't have a power cable with any B&O item. 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
That's the first I've ever heard of a power cable not being provided.

I know that with the beosound encore the power supply was separate and therefore in a separate box however that's not the case for the 35

Ring the dealer - I would. It's rather embarrassing.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
PS. Congrats on the 35. It's a lovely piece. Nice to read your comments about the separation too.
Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Dec 20 2016 6:07 AM

Sal, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I just placed an Amazon order for another cable that looks to be similar to what you posted. I'll definitely post my results for posterity. I had thought to call my dealer regarding the power cable, but decided that it just wasn't worth it as I had a few spares laying around. I'm gonna mark it up to a QA issue in their fulfillment operation.

Had a chance to listen to some Buckingham Nicks thru the BS35 tonight and was particularly delighted. The sound stage is quite respectable. This thing is perfect for folk, jazz, blues and pop. 

I've had a similar issue on my A9 in that most all of my B&O products prefer 2.4ghz networks over 5ghz. When I had my A9 mark 2 connected to 5ghz after an hour of standby it would drop off the network and not be visible in BeoMusic or BeoSetup. Same thing with 1 of my 2 A6s and now this BS35 as well. Not sure why it's an issue as I had an A6 in the exact same place in my office which happens to be within 5 ft of my router. The A6 stayed on the 5ghz without issue, but this BS35 drops off after an hour of standby.

Anyhow, later this week I'm getting a new phono stage for my RX2 that I'll be connecting to the BS35 via RCA. If anyone is interested I'll post my findings. I'm hoping to be able to use the Vinyl as a source for all my BeoLink products (BS35, 2 x A6, A9 and a BS Moment connected to BeoLab 18s and BeoLab19).

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Dec 20 2016 7:25 AM
michaelwilson:
Got the BS35 today and first I'll say that it sounds great.
Hi Michael,

and congratulations for your new Beosound Yes - thumbs up

michaelwilson:
...all my BeoLink products (BS35, 2 x A6, A9 and a BS Moment connected to BeoLab 18s and BeoLab19).
Could we hope to seeing those in the flash your B&O thread?
Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Dec 20 2016 8:06 AM

I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,213
Gold Member
Duels replied on Tue, Dec 20 2016 9:15 AM
michaelwilson:

I'll post some pics tomorrow!

Will look forward to seeing those. Haven't seen too many BS35 pics yet.
Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Dec 21 2016 12:09 AM

Images posted. Looking forward to your comments!

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Dec 21 2016 9:27 PM
Michael:
Got the BS35 today

Me too Lets have a Party !!!

Unboxing...

3 boxesUnsure

The stand first

Then the front cover

And finally, the Beosound 35

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Dec 21 2016 9:35 PM

Zoom in the plugs zone

I confirm, the optical cable plug needs to be quite small...

Stand fixed

Back cover in place

First start

And configuration process (a breeze with iOS, little bit more complicated with Android)

Testing with Deezer, DS Audio and TuneIn (even the manually entered stations are selectable Yes - thumbs up)

Too early to say if it sounds well, but aesthetically... it's a big WOW ! (unfortunately, the nicer side is not the front...)

Do yourself a favor when / if you get one: place it next to reflective surfaces. This may be bad for acoustics, but it is a real piece of art and it would be a shame not to enjoy it more.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member

Great pics CB

now I want one :-( 

Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Dec 21 2016 11:20 PM

Great unboxing pics! Wish I would have had the patience to do that.

Seems that the optical and RCA inputs are auto-sensing. Having connected the optical to my television, when I turn it on, the BS35 jumps to optical, very nice.

I got an essence remote from a forum member and it's fantastic way to quickly adjust from my desk. I'm very happy with the sound and functionality. The optical cable thing was a wrinkle to deal with, but now that I have a proper cable, I'm very satisfied!

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
Michael:

Great unboxing pics! Wish I would have had the patience to do that.

Seems that the optical and RCA inputs are auto-sensing. Having connected the optical to my television, when I turn it on, the BS35 jumps to optical, very nice.

I got an essence remote from a forum member and it's fantastic way to quickly adjust from my desk. I'm very happy with the sound and functionality. The optical cable thing was a wrinkle to deal with, but now that I have a proper cable, I'm very satisfied!

Michael does that mean that you are using the 35 as a soundbar?
Michael
Not Ranked
Los Angeles
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 3:24 AM

I'm using it for casual listening first, sound bar second as my Sony TV has awful audio. I don't think the BS35 was meant to be used as a sound bar but it actually sounds quite nice and head and shoulders better than any TV speakers.

One thing I did notice is that when the tv is piped thru to the BS35 and then I use the BeoMusic app to join my A9, while the app says the A9 is joined there's no audio coming from it. I haven't had time to thoroughly test this but I'm a bit concerned because I was going to use the RCA inputs for my BeoGram RX2 to pipe vinyl this way. If anyone knows of a setting somewhere that may help, please let me know.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
Michael:

I'm using it for casual listening first, sound bar second as my Sony TV has awful audio. I don't think the BS35 was meant to be used as a sound bar but it actually sounds quite nice and head and shoulders better than any TV speakers.

One thing I did notice is that when the tv is piped thru to the BS35 and then I use the BeoMusic app to join my A9, while the app says the A9 is joined there's no audio coming from it. I haven't had time to thoroughly test this but I'm a bit concerned because I was going to use the RCA inputs for my BeoGram RX2 to pipe vinyl this way. If anyone knows of a setting somewhere that may help, please let me know.

I think there is a setting for one of the sources such as tge input you have to select in the app
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 538
Bronze Member

Open Beosetup app, go to Sound, then Line in.

Probably you have "Disable delay" box checked to avoid audio delay between what's on TV screen and sound on your BS35.

That makes the audio source distribution impossible.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 10:41 AM

Aussie Michael:
Great pics CB

Thank you Michael (even if my pics are crappy Wink)

As you can see on the last photo, the control panel has an excellent fingerprint memory...

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,337
Bronze Member
CB:

Thank you Michael (even if my pics are crappy )

As you can see on the last photo, the control panel has an excellent fingerprint memory...

They're better than I take Lets have a Party !!!
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,213
Gold Member
Duels replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 11:42 AM
CB:

So it does.
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,413
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 12:41 PM
The "Made in Turkey" stand is not a legend then.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 7:36 AM

Tested the timer function.

You've got to set two alarms: first to start, second to stop. Sound starts and stops smoothly, what a nice attention. Works perfectly Yes - thumbs up

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,780
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 6:35 AM

Confused  Whistle

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,363
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Dec 25 2016 9:03 AM
It's a very standard power supply cable, as usually with B&O, though it's very long!
Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL