rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 1 Follower

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member
The Beonic Man posted on Thu, Dec 15 2016 8:42 AM

So I am in the market for an upgrade from the BV9. The only TV from B&O I was considering was the Horizon as I am not prepared to pay full asking price for the Avant NG or BV14 when they don't have OLED, HDR or even full direct backlit capabilities similar to the older BV7-55. My question is this, a 48" Horizon is priced at £3,695.

Is it honestly worth this price tag when I could buy an LG OLED55B6V OLED for £1,899 with, for example, a 5.1 BL14 system if I can still find one. I do have a pair of BL9s if they could work with LG too. The other option is a second hand BV11-46.

I am so impressed with these new OLEDs every time I see them in shops. They are such a significant leap forward in technology from the BeoVisions with immaculate picture capabilities and I just can't fathom the fact that buying a B&O tv for twice the price or more, gives older technology and poorer picture capabilities. A modern day BeoVision does not feel like value for money anymore and it used to.

I do like the Horizon a lot. The design is nice and the picture is good. I think the price of the 48" should have been that of the 40". It just doesn't work (for me) at £3,695. The sound is a step down for B&O in this model too making it even less appealing.

Perhaps its time for a less than £2k purchase as an interim tv that will blow my socks off for the next few years while I wait for B&O to catch up and deliver something spectacular that is then worth paying for?

Would be interested to know others thoughts.

Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, H95, E8, BR1, Beo4, Essence

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,488 Posts
Bronze Member

rob08:
I guess most started with the most excellent thread made by a user on this forum (which I unfortunately have forgotten the name of) 

You probably mean this one:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/3372.aspx?PageIndex=1

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,527 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael:

V1 40" Actually has three! :)

It's the sound system of the V1-32

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris Townsend:

It's the sound system of the V1-32 Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 9, Beolit 15, Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

V1-32 has two 2" speakers and horizon has two 2.5" so it's probably not the same.

I have a V1 40 so I can't say how the sound compares but wow the sound is impressive in that one at least. I bought it when it came out and I still love it.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
3,527 Posts
Bronze Member
The V1-40 benefitted from an extra subwoofer over the 32, and yes that was 2" as opposed to 2.5".

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 5:05 AM

I don't personally feel that B&O TV's are overpriced for what you get - if you see the TV as also being a hub in an AV role.

Perhaps if you just want a set to watch the news, sports, the odd broadcast movie etc.

But if you love movies as well as music, then the TV's are fantastic - as you get not only an excellent picture, you get a state of the art surround sound decoder, and a fully active speaker array that does double duty as the centre channel in a surround sound movie setup.

No more need for tiny underperforming lifestyle centre channel speakers and the need for separate amps or surround processors, and the furniture/Hifi rack to support them.

And no more need for a gigantic high performance passive centre channel speaker, usually needing it's own stand, and another one for the TV to raise it high enough that you can see the picture past the hulking great 'audiophile' centre channel speaker stuck otherwise in the middle of the screen...

For an arguably state of the art AV experience, all one needs is a B&O TV, and complimentary active speakers, depending upon whether you want to go 5.1 or 7.1.  Doubtless Dolby Atmos will be catered for in time as well.

My only disappointment on specs for the Horizon, is that it lacks a seperate bass speaker - compared to my V1-40 I'd be surprised if the sound was quite as good in stand alone mode.

However, for AV use, the V1-40 centre channel is crossed over at 120hz into my Beolab 9's, so in that mode, with the low bass filtered out, the Horizon should do very well.

For the music and film connoisseur the B&O TV still has a great deal to offer if you consider it as an monitor, TV tuner, Active centre channel speaker, and surround sound processor rolled into one - which is what it is.

I love my V1-40 and will almost certainly never part with it.

In time, I'd like a bigger TV for the living room, with more advanced tech such as OLED etc, - when it's mature and sorted.  

Meantime, I'm more than happy with what I have with the V1-40 and have no feelings of disappointment with it at all when I see what is on offer with mainstream brands, regardless of the tech being used.

Cheers and Merry Xmas to All

John... :-)

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
657 Posts
Bronze Member

I can really understand your dilemma BAND'OH. I was also considering 48" Horizon and i liked very much the wheel stand as the intention was I should be able to "park" the TV next to a wall when not watching - and then roll it in front of the sofa in the evening.

Sadly, I couldn't justify the price. Also decided not to cash out 3.500 EUR for an OLED as I feel there is much more to still develop there. In the end I bought a 1.000 EUR 4K HDR LG with relatively decent sound and solid (metal) frame and stand. Now sitting on small IKEA rolling table so it moves around the same way Horizon would. Nowhere near so pretty, but at less than one fifth of a price.

And, with Netflix, Amazon Video and HBO Go apps on WebOS 3.0 so I don't need an external box as I would with Horizon. Picture is really very good, no complaints here, and at the price I paid I won't have any regrets repurposing this TV in 2-3 years when B&O comes with something truly spectacular.

My plan remains to buy a Beovision for many different reasons, beutiful design being one of it, but at this point I am happy with this "transitional" decision I've made.

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 5:51 AM

I think it depends upon what you want to do with a TV.

If it is just to watch some sport, news, the odd broadcast movie etc and have the latest tech, then a non B&O TV will do just fine.

If however, you want a TV as part of an integrated, elegant, understated and high performance surround sound AV role, then they're hard to better in my experience.

Consider it as a monitor, TV Tuner, State of the art Surround sound processor, and fully active speaker array rolled into one (which is what a B&O TV is) and they start to make an argument in favour of remarkable value for money compared to the cost of separate components to do the same job, and the aesthetic clutter that goes with that separates solution to AV requirements.

Having had separates, and come to B&O, there is no way I would want anything else cluttering up my room to be honest.

And being fully active, the audio performance alone is orders of magnitude better than the separates passive speaker solution anyway, and more than satisfies the Audio perfectionist geek within me still at times. lol

I have a V1-40 coupled to Beolab 9's, and apart from wanting a larger screen for those cinematic masterpieces, such as 2001 Space Odyssey, which really need a very large and immersive picture to do justice to the movie, I have few if any complaints.

Certainly I wouldn't be swapping the video and audio performance out for something else that is less interesting and timeless from a design POV, and needs multiple boxes and racks to bring equivalent AV function, just because it has an OLED screen.

But that's just me... and everyone is different.. :-)

Cheers and Merry Xmas

John.. :-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,488 Posts
Bronze Member

You've nailed it - thanks, John ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
657 Posts
Bronze Member

Agreed John, you really said everything. :)

And that exactly was my issue with Horizon:

- not really an array of speakers (also reflected in reviews where sound was judged as adequate but not great), and

- not avoiding clutter as external boxes/additional wires are required to watch Netflix, Amazon Video etc.

So I do hope for a better UI which will incorporate top apps, and I can imagine I am not alone in that.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 10:20 AM
Chris Townsend:

The V1-40 benefitted from an extra subwoofer over the 32, and yes that was 2" as opposed to 2.5".

Beovision 7-55 Mk2, Avant RF 28, Beolab 9, Beolit 15, Beoplay A1/A2, Beocom 2, Beotime, H3 ANC/H8/H6/H2, Form 2, Beoplay A3, Beovision 5-42 connected to a DVD1

I know Smile just saying it's not the same

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,417 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 12:02 PM
Of course John is right, and it's why we have B & O tv's, but still 5.185 € for an lcd set with two speakers is too much (for my wallet anyway).

My prices for the Polish Android Horizon ? 3.000 € max 40" and 4.000 € max 48". And I'm generous.
The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

Sal:
BAND'OH, let us know what your thoughts are after reading some of these replies.

Well firstly, fantastic that there has been so much discussion, which I hope continues.

At this stage of the thread and having read all contributions, I am currently thinking about buying a second hand BV11-46 to tie me over for the next few years. I am moving home and space is going to be an issue with the new living room being smaller than my existing one. My current BV9 is too big and would look out of place. I might make my new home more open plan over the years but for the moment I need to make use of the existing space.

This is such a difficult decision though because if space weren't an issue, I might be even bolder and buy a second hand BV7-55. For me, this offers the best all round solution as the Mark 2 has full array backlight dimming, an inbuilt Blu-Ray player, 3D viewing and BL6 centre speaker. This provides the best all in one media solution offering amazing picture and sound capabilities. I can't understand why B&O do not currently offer any inbuilt Blu-Ray (or 4K) players with their current BeoVisions. I would imagine there would be a huge market for this type of solution after all, who wants separate units and cables running all over the place these days? I understand that the industry is more streaming focussed but to see Full HD and 4K in it all it's glory and as originally intended, nothing equals a direct source.

How do I arrive at a BV11-46 then? Well apart from the smaller size already discussed, prices seem to be between £3,000-£4,000 depending on age, version, usage and condition. This means the only comparison I can make using the same price bracket is with the Horizon. Posts from existing BV11 owners seem to highlight far superior sound quality with little to no noticeable difference in picture quality (HD vs 4K) at this particular screen size. I also note the very valid comments about the lack of 4K content now and in the immediate future. I remember we used to say the same about HD and I still don't think there's enough HD content! Certainly not native, only upscaled. Furthermore, the BV11 was the pinnacle BeoVision from B&O at the time of release, whereas the Horizon (whilst newer, 4K capable and aesthetically different) is still seen as an entry level BeoVision, at least by some on this forum and including myself.

In arriving at my decision I feel that the Avant, BV14 and Horizon are all overpriced for what they offer in my opinion. The BV14 is not that different to the BV11 so doesn't warrant enough of a change. Neither is it worth considering older models such as the BV10, a later BV9 (mine is Mk 1) or the earlier BV7s against a BV11, even at a cheaper price point. I am happier to pay more for something newer, 2012 or later ideally; as recent as possible for the right price.

I am happy to pay full premium for a brand new BeoVision every once in a while but only when there is a significant leap forward in terms of design, appearance, technological advancement (picture/sound) and a complete media portal. The original Avant (RF) and BV7 models are 2 good examples of this and both I paid full price for at the time. I would like to get at least 5 years viewing pleasure from my BeoVisions but in all honestly would probably fancy a change every 3-5 years if such differences between BeoVisions were available.

As a final thought, I guess pricing does have a lot to do with it because if the Horizon 48" was £2,500 for example, then I would be buying that without any discussion. But at an extra c£1,000 no, because at this point I would be looking for price justification and not find it. Given a lower more tempting price point I could let my heart rule a little more over my head, but only to a point.

Cheers and please keep posting. I find it interesting to know other's reasoning and thought process behind making that final purchase decision, be it a BeoVision or any other product.

Simon.

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Sat, Dec 17 2016 5:13 AM

BAND'OH!:

Sal:
BAND'OH, let us know what your thoughts are after reading some of these replies.

Well firstly, fantastic that there has been so much discussion, which I hope continues.

At this stage of the thread and having read all contributions, I am currently thinking about buying a second hand BV11-46 to tie me over for the next few years. I am moving home and space is going to be an issue with the new living room being smaller than my existing one. My current BV9 is too big and would look out of place. I might make my new home more open plan over the years but for the moment I need to make use of the existing space.

This is such a difficult decision though because if space weren't an issue, I might be even bolder and buy a second hand BV7-55. For me, this offers the best all round solution as the Mark 2 has full array backlight dimming, an inbuilt Blu-Ray player, 3D viewing and BL6 centre speaker. This provides the best all in one media solution offering amazing picture and sound capabilities. I can't understand why B&O do not currently offer any inbuilt Blu-Ray (or 4K) players with their current BeoVisions. I would imagine there would be a huge market for this type of solution after all, who wants separate units and cables running all over the place these days? I understand that the industry is more streaming focussed but to see Full HD and 4K in it all it's glory and as originally intended, nothing equals a direct source.

How do I arrive at a BV11-46 then? Well apart from the smaller size already discussed, prices seem to be between £3,000-£4,000 depending on age, version, usage and condition. This means the only comparison I can make using the same price bracket is with the Horizon. Posts from existing BV11 owners seem to highlight far superior sound quality with little to no noticeable difference in picture quality (HD vs 4K) at this particular screen size. I also note the very valid comments about the lack of 4K content now and in the immediate future. I remember we used to say the same about HD and I still don't think there's enough HD content! Certainly not native, only upscaled. Furthermore, the BV11 was the pinnacle BeoVision from B&O at the time of release, whereas the Horizon (whilst newer, 4K capable and aesthetically different) is still seen as an entry level BeoVision, at least by some on this forum and including myself.

In arriving at my decision I feel that the Avant, BV14 and Horizon are all overpriced for what they offer in my opinion. The BV14 is not that different to the BV11 so doesn't warrant enough of a change. Neither is it worth considering older models such as the BV10, a later BV9 (mine is Mk 1) or the earlier BV7s against a BV11, even at a cheaper price point. I am happier to pay more for something newer, 2012 or later ideally; as recent as possible for the right price.

I am happy to pay full premium for a brand new BeoVision every once in a while but only when there is a significant leap forward in terms of design, appearance, technological advancement (picture/sound) and a complete media portal. The original Avant (RF) and BV7 models are 2 good examples of this and both I paid full price for at the time. I would like to get at least 5 years viewing pleasure from my BeoVisions but in all honestly would probably fancy a change every 3-5 years if such differences between BeoVisions were available.

As a final thought, I guess pricing does have a lot to do with it because if the Horizon 48" was £2,500 for example, then I would be buying that without any discussion. But at an extra c£1,000 no, because at this point I would be looking for price justification and not find it. Given a lower more tempting price point I could let my heart rule a little more over my head, but only to a point.

Cheers and please keep posting. I find it interesting to know other's reasoning and thought process behind making that final purchase decision, be it a BeoVision or any other product.

Simon.

I do understand your dilemma and appreciate and agree mostly with your value reasoning.  

However, when I did my homework for my V1-40, the cost of a seperate stand alone surround sound processor (most are integrated into an AV receiver/amplifier) plus a passive centre channel speaker, plus an amplifier to drive it, quickly exceeded the cost of the V1-40.

My only real post purchase thoughts three odd years on, is that it would've been nice to have had a bigger screen option.

In that regards, my only real criticism of the new Horizon, is that again, 48" is a bit on the small side for a main room, AV 'monitor' for dedicated movie use.

As to the sound side of it, it is also disappointing that the speakers in the Horizon are almost certainly going to be fine for film dialogue, but not so much for music, being that there are only two 2.5" speakers in it, in stereo array.  I'd be very surprised if the sound was as good as the V1-40 for stand alone music use, with the V1-40 having an additional 4" bass unit.

However for movie use, my V1-40 crosses over to the Lab 9s at 120hz (factory defaults) so here the additional 4" bass speaker probably doesn't do much at a guess, so (at a guess) movie centre channel performance twixt V1-40 and the new Horizon should be similar - at least I would hope so!

If it had a bigger screen I might be tempted, but an extra 8" on the diagonal over the V1-40 is not really enough to sway me.

Despite some large screen TV's tendency to dominate a room aesthetically somewhat, there is no denying the extra sense of naturalness and immersion in the viewing experience that comes with the larger screen size when watching dedicated HD movie content.

And yes, one can sit closer to the screen (up to a point) for a similar viewing effect - that for a 40" screen with HD (1920 x 1080) source material is a mere 1.6 metres - hardly practical in real life, which is where a bigger screen comes into it's own.

All the best

John.. :-)

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
800 Posts
Gold Member

Thanks for your thoughts John. I wonder, given what you have said, would you still choose the Horizon over the BV11-46 then? I guess I would be spending the same amount for either. The Horizon offers 4K plus an extra 2" screen size and a newer panel, which is backlit albeit global dimming that is not anywhere as good as full dimming 512+ zones that the former BV7-55 Mark 2 utilised.

Having thought it through a bit more, I will probably buy 2 x BL3s on floor stands and a BL2 sub to go with the BL9s as fronts, so that would be my surround setup. So BV11-46 or Horizon as the tv?

Cheers,
Simon. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
I'd go for a BL19 over a BL2 particularly for music being played through the BV. Of course price does play a part.

BeoNut since '75

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL