rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 1 Follower

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
733 Posts
Bronze Member
The Beonic Man posted on Thu, Dec 15 2016 8:42 AM

So I am in the market for an upgrade from the BV9. The only TV from B&O I was considering was the Horizon as I am not prepared to pay full asking price for the Avant NG or BV14 when they don't have OLED, HDR or even full direct backlit capabilities similar to the older BV7-55. My question is this, a 48" Horizon is priced at £3,695.

Is it honestly worth this price tag when I could buy an LG OLED55B6V OLED for £1,899 with, for example, a 5.1 BL14 system if I can still find one. I do have a pair of BL9s if they could work with LG too. The other option is a second hand BV11-46.

I am so impressed with these new OLEDs every time I see them in shops. They are such a significant leap forward in technology from the BeoVisions with immaculate picture capabilities and I just can't fathom the fact that buying a B&O tv for twice the price or more, gives older technology and poorer picture capabilities. A modern day BeoVision does not feel like value for money anymore and it used to.

I do like the Horizon a lot. The design is nice and the picture is good. I think the price of the 48" should have been that of the 40". It just doesn't work (for me) at £3,695. The sound is a step down for B&O in this model too making it even less appealing.

Perhaps its time for a less than £2k purchase as an interim tv that will blow my socks off for the next few years while I wait for B&O to catch up and deliver something spectacular that is then worth paying for?

Would be interested to know others thoughts.

Simon.

BV11-46, BV8-32, V1-32, BS2, P6, A1, E8, BR1, Essence

All Replies

Rombeek
Top 500 Contributor
104 Posts
Bronze Member
Rombeek replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 10:20 AM

There is a OLED B&O scheduled for 2017, I believe....

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
5,243 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 11:01 AM

BAND'OH!:

Perhaps its time for a less than £2k purchase as an interim tv that will blow my socks off for the next few years while I wait for B&O to catch up and deliver something spectacular that is then worth paying for?

Depends on *how* good you need the picture. I think we're going way overboard on this these days thinking we're "missing out". I watch sport, movies and regular TV on my old BV12-65 and am more than satisfied with the picture. In fact, astonished sometimes. And it's quite a few years old now. Combine this with superb audio and you have a great all-round experience.

If I was in the market for a TV right now, I'l pick up a BV14-55. I've had two BV11's and have always been impressed with both - the BV11-40 is on the wall in the kitchen. They look good, sound good and have a great picture.

Sure, OLED is better, but as my dear old father used to say "it's still the same programme" :)

Maybe try and do a deal with your dealer where they sell you a BV14 now on the basis you can trade it up against a OLED B&O in a year's time (I can't see them being out until late 2017)?

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 12:26 PM

i had to do the same choice recently.

i preferred buying a 7 55 mk2 (main tv) and a 11 46 (room) than any 65 oled tv. 

the offer of 4k programms is too weak and even if in 5 years it is widespread, there always will be a use for such a high quality hd tv for a room for example.

I paid them a very good price and compared to what I will loose with an oled tv, I can enjoy 2 tvs during this time.

the oled tv are absolutely not matured (colors too flashy, input lags...). In 5 years the progress will be enormous compared to what you get at this price actually

the gap between 4k tv and high quality full hd tv is minor if you don't need a screen more than 55.

and as moxxey said the programs are still the same most of the time. 4k tomoroow ok but if you want to watch old content it won't be in 4k.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member
The 48" Horizon is overpriced ? Yes it is !

5.185 € is way too much for what it offers.

It's nice, it's different but it's an entry level tv (no motorised option, contrast screen, "regular" sound). 5.185 € !

I would definitely go the second hand way for that price and far less for a BV11-46.

No 4k but what a picture and sound !
Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Badsey, UK
3,441 Posts
Bronze Member
The Horizon has only 2 speakers from the V1 system, the 11 has six and it makes a noticeable difference.

It's still a great entry Tv for B&O, but just a little gutless with audio, an area where they should be perfect. I don't even mind the wheelsLaughing

Beovision 11-55, Beolab 2, Beosound 2(old Skool) Beolit 15, Beoplay A2 Active

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,518 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
The Horizon has only 2 speakers from the V1 system, the 11 has six and it makes a noticeable difference.

V1 40" Actually has three! :)  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
172 Posts
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 2:40 PM

Indeed,

As much as I love b&o design and technical achievements, their televisions are terribly overpriced for old tech imho. OLED is so very far superior to any LCD based panel there's no comparison. Personally I went from an old heavy plasma to an LG OLED, oh dear night and day difference.

b&o might come out with an OLED based display but that's could, would, should... today I'd take a LG OLED or the offerings from LOEWE are drool worthy. Honestly for televisions Loewe are really something and a nod to what b&o should be offering, if they weren't so rare outside the EU I'd get one myself.

Your BL9 are analogue so you'd either have to get a DAC (toslink from TV convert to analogue) or a small b&o system like a Beosound4 to control it.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 3:14 PM

moxxey:

Depends on *how* good you need the picture. I think we're going way overboard on this these days thinking we're "missing out". I watch sport, movies and regular TV on my old BV12-65 and am more than satisfied with the picture. In fact, astonished sometimes. And it's quite a few years old now. Combine this with superb audio and you have a great all-round experience.

Well, I think it's important to identify what parts of a TV's specs are "important." To me, unless you're sitting very close to a gigantic, 65inch Plus set, 4K is pretty meaningless. The Imaging Science Foundation put resolution way down the list after such things as black level, contrast, color accuracy/color temperature, and gray scale linearity as far as importance to a satisfying picture goes. As for your BV12-65 Moxxey, remember that it is based on the same Panasonic VT panel my Panasonic uses, and to my eyes I have not yet seen an LCD based set, no matter what backlight tech is used, that can equal it. OLED is the only thing I've seen that might be better, and until I see one properly adjusted I'm not completely sure about that. In my opinion, your set is the pinnacle of B&O TVs to date.

I too find the plasma Panasonic I have to be just absolutely stunning and immersive to watch.

I have long been of the opinion that Beovisions are overpriced, and if you can live without your TV acting as the central hub there are more rational choices. Personally I'd be tempted to go with a lesser priced but excellent set from another brand and work around the audio setup with a BL14 or such, but that's my opinion. Others needs and desires will vary. Certainly I would be tempted to use a less expensive set until and whenever an OLED BV comes out and reevaluate.

To give you the reason I have the Panasonic, I paid 3000 US dollars for it, plus to add the outboard Marantz receiver and Infinity sound bar I use, maybe another 600 dollars with careful shopping. The BV12-65 over here was about US$ 20,000 and while it is indeed a stunning set, I couldn't rationalize the price. Instead I wound up buying the Panasonic setup, and a pair of demo BL9s for my audio setup.

I don't watch a ton of TV, I'm not glued to it as some are, but when I want to watch a movie or such, I want maximum visual performance and to my eyes my Panasonic plasma provides that in spades.

Just a note, one of my favorite test discs for testing TVs out is "Blade Runner." The black level detail and darkness of that film will really stress a lot of LCD sets.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

I use also the bluray of blade runner. It is an old movie, the bluray is not perfect but we rapidly see if the panel increases its default or magnify its quality.

I have been really astonished to see the results on the bv 7 55 mk2. blacks are sublim. the bv 11 is not so bad if correctly set but really many steps behind.

I am ready to bet that on any oled tv for such old movie despite the quality of the bluray, the picture will be far behind. I have already see the poor results for some old movie on bluray and they looked like poor dvd. These tv are definetely not for old content. 

If the movie production started now, I will jump on one. But unfortunately the actual movie production is a piece of ... compared to all the past production. Up to 1080p and 55, It's quite good, above it begans to be a real issue.

beolab 5, beolab 9, beolab 3, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2,  beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 3:48 PM

Some great posts in this thread. Although I absolutely love my BV11, if I had to do it over again, hopefully not for a long time, I wouldn't purchase a B&O television. I'd instead consider a Beosystem to "manage" the TV and speakers -- that is, if B&O are still making beosystems in the future. My wife, to this day says that the best picture she has ever seen on a TV was when she watched Memento my old (David Lewis) Avant. Incidentally they're going for less than $200 on eBay and Craigslist in the US these days. Not bad for something that was $8500 new. 

In any case, Jeff and others are right, B&O television are overpriced for what they are, but generally speaking they do what they do very well, and are an all in one that some people are looking for. If the price is right.

IMHO, televisions aren't something that one should be considering as "future-proof" as the tech is evolving very quickly, so there's another reason not to spend all that cash on a BeoVision, when one doesn't know what's coming around the corner. 

My wife and I aren't glued to the TV, but when we to watch we enjoy the experience that the BV11/BL9 combination give us. Reflecting on it, now, though, when I was contemplating the purchase, some on these forums suggested I go for a Beosystem 4 instead, and keep my Panasonic Plasma Panel. Maybe they were right. But I got a great deal on my BV11, so there's that. 

BAND'OH, let us know what your thoughts are after reading some of these replies.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
1,197 Posts
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 3:49 PM

olvisab:
the bv 11 is not so bad if correctly set but really many steps behind.

Is there someplace which gives the user a step by step guide to set a BV11 up optimally?

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

unfortunately no. I spend some hours on it and done it at least 5 times at different moement of the day.

I will share these settings soon with a friend in order to see if he perceives the change.

If you want I can send you pictures of my personal settings if you pm me your personal mail.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
209 Posts
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Thu, Dec 15 2016 5:41 PM
olvisab:

unfortunately no. I spend some hours on it and done it at least 5 times at different moement of the day.

I will share these settings soon with a friend in order to see if he perceives the change.

If you want I can send you pictures of my personal settings if you pm me your personal mail.

beolab 5, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 4500, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 2, beolab 1, beolab 3500, IWS 2000, beovision 7 55 mk2, beovision 11 46, beotime, beogram 7000 white mmc2, beosound century, beosound ouverture, beosound essence and the collection continues...

The settings might actually be quite interesting for all us BV11 owners - maybe we should start a new separate thread and everybody can pitch in their settings. I guess most started with the most excellent thread made by a user on this forum (which I unfortunately have forgotten the name of) and the flatpanels review.
olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
1,362 Posts
Bronze Member

Making a list of each setting and level is too long, I prefer sending a picture but with my ipad I can not post any pictures or edit a post. If someone publish mine, no pb. You are right the previous thread is helpfull and gave me courage for deeply modifying the settings.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL