Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

BeoPlay M5 ?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 339 Replies | 9 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
North East France
614 Posts
Bronze Member
benoit posted on Tue, Dec 13 2016 9:35 PM

Does anyone know what kind of speaker it could be?

https://www.certipedia.com/companies/174322/product_certificates?locale=en

https://fccid.io/MSIP-RMM-BOA-BeoplayM5

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Fansastic
Top 200 Contributor
The Netherlands
305 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by benoit

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,332 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) Hiort replied on Wed, Dec 28 2016 1:55 PM
Brigantinus:

My dealer is not very happy with the sound, he even didn't want to give a demonstration. And after a demonstration i can understand him. You can compare the sound with a radio clock (i think it is designed for that kind of use in the bedroom). If you have the space A6 ist much better.

In my ears definitely no "clock radio".

I was actually impressed.

I did not like the finish of the top plate, however.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Library: A6, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5 Office: Beocom 2 Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay P2

All Replies

moxxey:
Actually, that looks better than the M5!

I agree. It also has many many colour options and the new models look even nicer. I bet they sound better too and I know they are cheaper.

https://www.libratone.com/products/zipp-cph-speakers

--

BeoLab 18's. Beolab 3's. A8. A9. A2. H7.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,336 Posts
Bronze Member

That is the old version.

Better hurry if you want one of those - probably easiest to find on the second hand market.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
4,828 Posts
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Jan 27 2017 7:02 PM

Millemissen:

P.S. Tell them that the easiest way to demo it, is to use the bluetooth connection.

I think you missed my point - I don't think they *want* to show it off, so pretended their iPhone wouldn't connect...but it would connect to the BS1 and BS2 when I asked for a demo of those. See what I mean? The dealer doesn't want to promote the M5, but is 'forced' to have one in his showroom.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,336 Posts
Bronze Member

That is a strange businessman.

Or maybe  - as I almost understand - he was more eager to sell you (!) a BS1/2.

Not wanting to promote a certain B&O product - in general - will never be the right way to be a B&O dealer.

MM

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member

The M5 lacks intrigue and any twist in its design?

And then I read that it feels cheap too. 

Perhaps it can be the bait to get footfall for a new Beolit 17 or something that's worthy of B&O?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Simonbeo:

Does that mean, that have neither heard it or seen it in the flesh?

MM

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,167 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Jan 27 2017 8:40 PM

So much negativity about the M5. What do we expect from a product in this price range?

I listened today at my dealer once more to the speaker and all those comments in this thread haven't changed my mind.  I really would like to have it for my bathroom after a renovation, or next to my bed for listening to the news at mornings. For this purposes a speaker in this price range would really fit.

But... not yet!

At first it needs a software update for adding TuneIn to the M5. Only then the unit will have value for me...

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,444 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Simonbeo:

Does that mean, that have neither heard it or seen it in the flesh?

MM

If it had any intrigue as a design I'd have visited the local B&O shop to see it , as I have with every other product. I don't have a cat that needs a scratching pole or the need for a big kitchen paper dispenser. I suspect Cecile Manz had serious cost constraints.  This time I didn't visit the store, no.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Pushkin
Not Ranked
41 Posts
Bronze Member
Difficult one this - I get why some hate it and understand why some give it a pass on the basis of price - my view is that the product should delight - the a1 is a 'cheap' product but, imo, is brilliant in its peer group - having played with the m5, the Sonos play 5 leaves it for dead in terms of sound and think some of the finishes the m5 feel unpleasant - not for me.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Chris:

So much negativity about the M5. What do we expect from a product in this price range?

I listened today at my dealer once more to the speaker and all those comments in this thread haven't changed my mind.  I really would like to have it for my bathroom after a renovation, or next to my bed for listening to the news at mornings. For this purposes a speaker in this price range would really fit.

But... not yet!

At first it needs a software update for adding TuneIn to the M5. Only then the unit will have value for me...

I am with you on that, Chris.

And I find it hard to take comments from people, who haven't experienced it, seriously.

Well - maybe I just have to accept that there are people, who have other 'judging-standarts', than I do have.

One shouldn't mistake this for a Bang & Olufsen Sound System - it is a B&O Play product announced as a wireless speaker

Sure it can be part of a B&O multiroom setup - I guess, that you could join-in to a TuneIn sesion, if you wanted.

But not building in TuneIn directly is somewhat peculiar and would probably disqualify it for me too.

My trouble is - I don't need yet another speaker and thus have no plans to buy it.

(If I had, I would not hesitate, though).

It might be the right thing for a lot of people - and is therfore welcomed by me!

MM

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
303 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Fri, Jan 27 2017 9:33 PM

Chris:

.....At first it needs a software update for adding TuneIn to the M5. Only then the unit will have value for me...

the M5 do have TuneIn! and is a full member in a Multiroom setup.

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,336 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks!

Egges will know - he has one ;-)

Then they simply have forgotten to mention that in the specs ;-(

@Chris.

So - nothing to hold you back now ;-))

MM

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,167 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Jan 28 2017 6:32 AM

Confusing manual... Text coming from the M5 user guide:

A Volume knob Turn and hold the volume knob clockwise to increase volume continuously. Turn and hold the knob counterclockwise to decrease.

B Press During standby, short press to join existing multi-room groups. If no groups are available, the last connected source will initiate (Bluetooth). During audio playback, short press to pause / play. Double- press to switch source. 

Very confusing is't it? For what I understand in reading;  If there is NO other NL device in use, activated or playing in the home, activating the M5 with a press on top is always first initiating with Bluetooth.

Have a look also at the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RlGI_6Ojk

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

egges
Top 200 Contributor
germoney
303 Posts
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Jan 28 2017 2:46 PM

Simonbeo:

.... I don't have a cat that needs a scratching pole or the need for a big kitchen paper dispenser.

compared to B&O's thermo jugs you'll get two or even three cookie boxes instead

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

CarJen
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Bronze Member
CarJen replied on Tue, Feb 21 2017 6:43 PM

I have purchased a M5 two weeks ago, and i must say it works fairly good. It is not hi-fi, but as an extra nice looking speaker in our dining room it's fine. I am missing full integration with the Beoplay App, so i can use ToneTouch and adjust the sound as it is pretty bassheavy for my taste. I have looked in a few other threads in here, but have not found that anyone has managed to get ToneTouch to work with the M5?

Page 17 of 23 (340 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL