rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
135 Posts
Gold Member
Austin posted on Wed, Nov 30 2016 5:31 AM

I am considering getting a BeoSystem 3 and have a few questions. 

Will it work with a BenQ projector?  Can it be controlled by a BeoRemote One? Does it support 1080p?  Is there anything else I should know being that it's quite an old system? Are there different versions of the BS3 I should be aware of?

All Replies

zerocool143
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member

Better buy a Beosystem 4.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,575 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 30 2016 10:55 AM
For now it's a hard decision. I would recommend a unit that complies with HDCP 2.2 for full compatibility with new and upcoming products. It's mainly necessary for 4K copy protection but it's always a good idea to think a little about the future. Neither of the two supports it.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,926 Posts
Bronze Member

The BeoSystem 3 can be controlled by the BeoRemote One as well as any other B&O remote and can output 1080p. A nice feature of the BeoSystem 3 is that it can output to both a projector as well as a tv. The BeoSystem 4 cannot output to two displays natively. Most BeoSystem 3 units that you find second-hand will have dvi output connections and do not support 3D video. However, the most recent Beosystem 3 has HDMI output connections and supports 3D. You're probably find with the DVI connections.

While the BeoSystem 4 can control third parties devices by downloading the IR codes, you must take a BeoSystem 3 to a dealer or technician to load the codes for devices you wish to control. Since the BenQ is not one of the more common projectors, you might have to use its remote in order to control it.

To me, the BeoSystem 3 would do everything that you want it to do at a very good price compared to the BeoSsytem 4. In my opinion, the BeoSystem 4 is not a good purchase right now since it does not support 4K UHD, Dolby Atmos, and other current technologies yet it still has a premium price tag.

Taking a BeoSystem 3 to your dealer to load the PUC codes to control third party devices isn't that big of an issue. If you have your dealer load most of the common codes (e.g. Sony, Samsung, Apple, Oppo, etc.) you'll have plenty of options for adding screens and blu-ray players.

If neither the BeoSystem 3 nor the BeoSystem 4 can control (on/off) your projector, you can get a Lintronic code-converter to control the projector with your BeoRemote. Also, you can use the Lintronic to load the BenQ codes onto a Beo6 remote if you don't want the IR blaster cable going to your projector. With the Beo6 you could then control the projector directly with the Beo6 without needing the code-converter in-between. However, you would need the code-converter to initially create the file to load onto your Beo6. All of this is for a user with some more advanced skills in setting up a remote control, but there are many of us here at BeoWorld happy to offer guidance.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
935 Posts
Bronze Member

Austin:
Will it work with a BenQ projector?

I'm using a benq w1070 with my BV7-40mk3 (which has a beosystem3 built in) and this works fine.

There's a PUC available for the W1200 but I don't know if the IR codes are the same for other models and I haven't tried this to see if it will work with my W1070 as I am using RS232 to control the projector.

Austin:
Can it be controlled by a BeoRemote One?

Yes, providing the software version of the BS3 supports beo4 toggle remote - it can always be updated to do so by a service engineer or B&O store if necessary

Austin:
Does it support 1080p?

Yes.

Austin:
Is there anything else I should know being that it's quite an old system? Are there different versions of the BS3 I should be aware of?

There's obviously no support for anything higher than 1080p.

Unlike the Beosystem 4, software updates and PUC table changes require a visit from a service engineer as the updates are performed by connecting a laptop (Beosystem 4 updates can be downloaded over the internet).

Only the later versions of the BS3 support 3D.

Martin.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
878 Posts
Gold Member
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I would like to get a BeoSystem 3 to give my non B&O 1080p tv electronic curtains, drive my 4 Pentas, and tie into my MasterLink system. How many versions of the BS 3 were there in the US, and which ones supported 1080p? Did any max out at 720p output only? And if so, would they not accept a 1080p input?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,926 Posts
Bronze Member

All BeoSystem 3 units support full 1080p. The most noticeable difference in versions is that the latest version had HDMI outputs to support 3D. Otherwise, you have DVI outputs and need a DVI to HDMI adapter. B&O's choice in using DVI never made sense to me since DVI is so much bulkier than HDMI. At any rate, you can make it work just fine. Samsung TVs are a good choice in that they seem to have consistent IR commands for on/off. You'll be able to get PUC control of most major devices you might need -- including Apple TV, Roku, Samsung or Sony BD players, etc. You'll have HDMI inputs on all versions of the BeoSystem 3.

If you're worried about support for 4K, you can always work around this as we did for 3D before it was supported. You can get a UHD player with dual HDMI outputs or (in the case of the Apple TV) get a device from HDFury to split out the audio to send it to the BeoSystem while you send the video to an input on the TV.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
878 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Fri, Sep 7 2018 12:21 AM
So it looks like the Mk I could be upgraded to AST with a board change and had 1080p from DVI outputs. The Mk II could have AST with a software update and also have DVI outputs. The Mk III supposedly had AST by default and could handle 3D via HDMI outputs.

I think for my needs and updated Mk I or Mk II would be all I need. Could AST help my compensate for a configuration without a center channel? This in for music only, and my Pentas surround a fireplace in the front - thus a center channel won’t work well. Could AST help provide a “sweet space” rather than a “sweet spot” for music listening without the center?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, and ambio 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member
Anyone know what the price of AST board to upgrade a Mk1 would be? And if it is avaliable?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,379 Posts
Bronze Member

If you want to ‘dig into’ AST, this might be a way to start:

https://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/t/33197.aspx?PageIndex=1

There were more threads on the Archived Forum at that time.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,296 Posts
Silver Member
Don’t want to highjack the thread, but is it normal that 3D shows in the menu of a MK1?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,379 Posts
Bronze Member

leogoeswild:
Don’t want to highjack the thread, but is it normal that 3D shows in the menu of a MK1?

Yes, if the sw was updated.

Definitely a bug.

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
1,926 Posts
Bronze Member

I have two BeoSystem 3 units and both show the 3D option in the settings -- even though they can't support 3D since they don't have HDMI output. I think this became standard with a firmware update. They didn't show this with the older firmware version.

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
878 Posts
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Tue, Nov 13 2018 2:10 AM

So now that I've got the Beolink converter working between my BeoSystem 3 and BeoSystem 6500, it's time to turn my attention to refining my setup. It seems the BeoSystem MkI I have was not upgraded to include AST. Before I get back to my dealer demanding a replacement, will AST allow me to hear all of my stereo sources in DPLII simulated surround from my 4.1 speaker configuration? Hear's my setup to explain why:

I have two Beolab Penta speakers for the front bracing my fireplace, two more Pentas as surround speakers, and a non-B&O subwoofer. So no center channel due to the fireplace. I have a full BeoSystem 6500, a Mac Mini running iTunes, and a Denon Universal DVD player for multi-channel audio from DVD Audio and SACD discs I own. I enjoy surround sound for audio and wish to listen to either the actual or simulated surround sound. Can I do this with my current BS3? If I got a BS3 with AST would this help with the phantom center image?  

Dom

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,379 Posts
Bronze Member

You don’t need AST for that.

The only thing that helps having ‘a phantom center image’ is to sit in the right spot between (and in front of) the front speakers aka called the sweet spot.

MM

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL