rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter posted on Sat, Nov 12 2016 12:09 PM

Review in Hi-Fi News - picture of Geoff in as well!

Peter

All Replies

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
975 Posts
Bronze Member
December issue?

Present: BL90, Moment, Core, BL6000, CD7000, 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 13 2016 8:37 AM

Yes - it is the lead article and on the cover. First real review. Not as over the top as the first reviews of the Beolab 5 though HFN often seem less effusive that some of the other rags. I wonder if they got first review due to the presence of Tim Jarman - though he is not the reviewer!

Peter

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

Picture - or it wasn't ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder

Millemissen:

Picture - or it wasn't ;-)

MM

Peter

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
2,321 Posts
Silver Member
I think they are lacking a little in the mid-ranges..

Stick out tongue

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
14,472 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks Peter,

not all of us can go to the local shop to buy a copy of the hifinews.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
8,219 Posts
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 10:05 AM
Frankly that cover ... [:\'(] ... I'm speachless

Reminds me of the design description for ET ... something that only a mother (sorry Geoff) would love !

BeoNut since '75

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Nov 14 2016 9:24 PM

Millemissen:

Thanks Peter,

not all of us can go to the local shop to buy a copy of the hifinews.

MM

If you would like my copy, I would be happy to send it to you - I don't think I will be troubling the scorers in the Beolab 90 market! Email me at mcevedy(at)mac.com

Peter

John
Top 200 Contributor
Australia
321 Posts
Bronze Member
John replied on Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:32 AM

Would be interested to read this - can one buy a copy of the magazine individual issue online at all?

Cheers

John.. :-)

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
525 Posts
Bronze Member

I just ambled down to the local WH Smiths to have a squint at this. Had full expectation that for the first in 20 years, I'd actually buy a HiFi Magazine. Alas, that record remains intact. The review is simply not worth the GBP4.99, the magazine demands.

Now obviously, I have skin in the game but the review I though was very flat and uninteresting if not un-gushing. A bit on the history of B&O, A bit on Linear Phase speakers of the 1970's, and what seemed to be quiet a bit of Reviewers Ball-lux-speak regarding his overly informed insitu measurements on the technical performance.

All very flat and rather uninteresting article. A least the "all form, no substance" and "could buy better for the same money" mantras were not costed into the price of the ink. I think the Reviewer would be better off doing articles in a Richer Sounds.

Score of 87/100 (is that good, v.good or excellent in the grand scheme of things). I would imagine Mr Martin will be disappointed with that.

Going to the pub now to spend GBP4.99 on the money I inadvertently saved today.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
1,169 Posts
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:11 PM

Mr 10Percent:
The review is simply not worth the GBP4.99, the magazine demands.

Had a pdf copy and your opinion is exactly my thought to.

- The Wilson Alexx (November issue) and B&W 800 D3 (October issue) are off course allways a lot better.Crying

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,991 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 2:49 PM

Tend to agree - the Beolab 5s got a far better write up. The 'not very hi-fi' line may be meant well (or not!) but does sum up a slight bias in the reviewer! I shall keep my subscription but only because Tim reviews vintage equipment - he is pictured as he was at a show demoing old equipment fronted by a Beogram 4000 (which I seem to remember he bought at a car boot sale!)

Peter

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 19 2016 3:26 PM

Peter:

Tend to agree - the Beolab 5s got a far better write up. The 'not very hi-fi' line may be meant well (or not!) but does sum up a slight bias in the reviewer! I shall keep my subscription but only because Tim reviews vintage equipment - he is pictured as he was at a show demoing old equipment fronted by a Beogram 4000 (which I seem to remember he bought at a car boot sale!)

The attitude that the reviewer seems to have expressed is exactly why I have maintained that, no matter how good the BL90 is, it will not make the inroads they might think it would into the true believer audiophile type community. I wonder if there are enough well heeled potential buyers who are not audio types to float that level of product for B&O, people who want to pay that kind of money just for show who aren't that into audio, or if there are enough audiophiles willing to drop that much money (there are a fair number of them who spend that much or more) who have open enough minds to consider B&O.

The BL5s are outstanding speakers, better to my ears than speakers I've heard that cost much more and still require more money still for associated electronics, and the audiophile community has never beat a path to B&Os door for them either.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
525 Posts
Bronze Member

)

Jeff:

Peter:

The attitude that the reviewer seems to have expressed is exactly why I have maintained that, no matter how good the BL90 is, it will not make the inroads they might think it would into the true believer audiophile type community. I wonder if there are enough well heeled potential buyers who are not audio types to float that level of product for B&O, people who want to pay that kind of money just for show who aren't that into audio, or if there are enough audiophiles willing to drop that much money (there are a fair number of them who spend that much or more) who have open enough minds to consider B&O.

The BL5s are outstanding speakers, better to my ears than speakers I've heard that cost much more and still require more money still for associated electronics, and the audiophile community has never beat a path to B&Os door for them either.

having just spent my GBP on a Leffe Blonde (plus a few more), I'd go so far as to agree with you......but then that's no excuse for lazy reviewing, which is what the article actually is. 

Consider this; imagine B&O give you a set of these for 48hrs, all set-up and for you to play what you want? How much fun would you have with zero commitment? Exactly. None of that comes through. As I say, the individual should stick to reviews in Richer Sounds

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL