Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

Beolab 5 Generations

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 3 Followers

carstenkochde
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Bronze Member
carstenkochde posted on Sun, Nov 6 2016 11:04 PM

Please community, does anyone know which generations exist of the Beolab 5?

I am going to buy a pair of Beolab 5. I do strongly consider to by a second life pair, instead of a new one. 

They will be run as a surround sound system, together with four Beolab 3 speakers, driven by a B&O television that still needs to be acquired, and with a Beosound 9000.

What would I have to pay attention to? In which years did the product generations change? Did any change affect the sound quality? Did any change affect the compatibility with other B&O devices? 

Thank you for your valuable help.

Kind regards

Carsten

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 75 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
934 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Carsten,

Welcome to Beoworld! The only major change to Beolab 5 that I am aware of was the activation of the "Sync" socket from April 2004 (at serial number 17772145 and software level 2.5), but this only really affects owners who are using Beolab 5 with a non-B&O system.

Basically, the Sync socket allows a pair of Beolab 5 speakers to play at matched volume levels when used with a non-B&O source via the S/PDIF or Line inputs, via this Sync cable: http://soundsheavenly.com/beolab-5-and-beolab-90/41--sync-beolab-5-.html

For earlier Beolab 5 versions used with a non-B&O system, you need to ensure that each speaker has line of sight from the remote control to keep the volume levels matched.  For use with a B&O TV or music system, the Powerlink cable provides volume data to each speaker, so the Sync function isn't needed.

Hence, any version of Beolab 5 should work well for your setup.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor the BeoWorld forums!

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,958 Posts
Bronze Member
They also changed the power socket from IEC C14 to IEC C8. Probably only due to Eu regulations. But some argue this was a cost saving feature although I fail to see why it would be. C8 is not grounded though.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL