Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beomaster 5 Hd upgrade to Samsung EVO SSD

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 69 Replies | 10 Followers

wantoniak
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member
wantoniak posted on Mon, Oct 31 2016 5:44 PM

I have been trying to upgrade Beomaster HD to SSD for quite long time. Funny thing is I can clone my original (1TB) drive to another 3.5 inch without any problems, but could not succeed cloning to Samsung  EVO and Pro. After start would get booth error etc.

There have been write-ups about this, basically most posts said - it cannot be done. Some guys recommended Crucial SSD ......... saying this is the only drive could work.

I have contacted Samsung and was told that the issue is with cloning software, cloning software guys said - Samsung drive is at fault. I have tried few cloning software including Acronis, Aomei, Macrium Reflect, Drive Clone etc. all attempts failed.

Reading one of the forums someone recommend EaseUS Todo Backup Free ... and to my surprise cloning worked - I have cloned original drive to Samsung EVO 1Tb (sector by sector - there are two options in the software , do not remember exactly what the second is - if you try select both) - and for the last 3 days everything is working as a charm.

If someone would want to try, please let me/us know if I am just being lucky or the issue is with cloning software. I will monitor and let you know if my luck will continues.

Regards

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

wantoniak
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Mr 10Percent

Sorry guys

Hard drive crashed ....

Kiran
Top 75 Contributor
UK
1,010 Posts
Gold Member
Answered (Verified) Kiran replied on Sun, Jan 15 2017 11:15 PM
Verified by Ellickson

I have bought a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD and a Deleycon Cloner today.

They should arrive by Friday and then hopefully I can clone the original B&O HDD to the SSD.

All I want is for it to even boot up once and then I will "Start Recovery Process" straight away. This will resolve and clear any restart/booting issues.

Will update you by the end of the week :)

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

All Replies

CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

I am still thinking of improving the Windows XP behaviour for the SSD. Has there been anybody who modified the Registry without crashing the system?

I am thinking of the following registry changes (copied from a blog on SSD running on Windows XP). At this stage I do not even know whether the system maintenance menu offers administrator rights:

Disabling background disk defragmentation

Key Name:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\ Name: Enable Type: REG_SZ Value: N

Disable Background auto-layout:

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout Value Name: EnableAutoLayout Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

Disable update of filesystem’s “last access timestamps”

Key Name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem Name: NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate Type: REG_DWORD Value: 1

Disable Prefetch

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters Name: EnablePrefetcher Type: REG_DWORD Value: 0

UNQUOTE

CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi,

I am answering to my own, above questionWink:

I attached a mouse and keyboard to the BM5 (using a USB splitter as there is only one free USB slot). Entering the maintenance settings menu "arrow" password key combination RIGHT LEFT RIGHT LEFT GO, entering the Windows XP system menu.

Regedit changes may be made just as with any other Windows XP computer, but on the embedded version there seems to be a simplified registry. I was able to cancel the disk defragmentation and the prefetch setting without any problem (the other parameters listed above were not present).

Subsequently ran the Disk clean up routine and returned to the BM5 Menu.

BM5 is getting SSD friendlier by the dayThumbs Up!

Robert

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Tue, Mar 21 2017 8:14 PM
Did you read this ?

aspecialy the parts concerning XP?

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/ssd-hdd-laufwerke-und-speicher/81317-anleitung-ssd-vom-einbau-bis-zur-konfiguration-und-handhabung-von-windows.html
CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

Thank you. This link leads to a comprehensive summary. Unfortunately, it will not add to much value to the SSD upgrade of our BM5 as many of the tipps are only applicable for a fresh set-up on a full fledged Windows XP PC.

The issue with the BM5 is, that it is runnng on Windows XP Embedded version with limited functionality. It appears as if the drive serial number is stored in the BIOS. Moreover, B&O does not provide copies of the original OS or BM5 program that would allow a fresh installation. As such, the offline "clone" seems to be the only process that ensures that all data from the old HDD are properly copied on the SSD.

My strategy has been to test what improvements may be done on the SSD after cloning. For instance, the partition alignment seems to be a fairly important issue which improves write speeds on the SSD but is not required on the HDD. So far, the Windows XP on BM5 crashes when the partition alignment is modified.

Having said this, I believe that we have come quite far: By using the "simple" cloning process and some amendments, SSD seems now to be a feasible option, extending the live of the BM5. Some system improvements are possible to the point where the system is reliable and stable (but not more).

Keep on trying other ways to tackle the partition issue (just having tried one utility so far). GPARTED (which is described in your link) seems to be worth a try.

Btw, a subject we have not been discussing here is the missing TRIM function on Windows XP (allowing overwrite of unused SSD sectors). However, newer SSD have a automatic function on the firmware called "Garbage Collection", running in the background when the system is idle. Crucial sells their SSD with special focus on thin clients or systems that do not have the trim function, this might be one of the reasons that the Crucial SSD's seem to be more stable in the BM5 than other products.

best, Robert

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 8:44 AM
Thanks for your information.

I just got my preowned BS5 yesterday.

I've bought the sharkoon clone station and gave it some trials with non BO HDDs.

I copied a ext3 formated 1TB to a 2TB. To remap the 2TB to get access to the unused space on the 2TB , I used geparted-live from a boorable USB-stick.

This did not work, I do not know why.

Then I used my little linux-PC running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, gparted may be instaled using the Ubuntu applications tab.

After the offline cloning, I first did an error research and repair on the disc and secondly resized it to it's 2TB.

This worked like a charmStick out tongue.

Now I want to do the same on the BM5 but I can't manage to open the BM5 case.

I got out all 8 screws from the bottom plate but it seems the resr upper border is somehow glued to the top cover.

I will give it one more try this evening as I just found a service manual and saw that there are no other hidden screws.
CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

There are no hidden screws, but the case sits quite tight. When you turn it around, you may pull the cover off by connecting a cable to the back (e.g. a display cable).

Btw, the HDD is also screwed very tightly, I used a plier to loosen the two left hand screws..

Good luck, Robert

wantoniak
Not Ranked
25 Posts
Bronze Member

Hi

Remove only bottom screws and slide the cover to the front. It is tight but will go off.

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Wed, Mar 22 2017 5:03 PM
CooperS:

... you may pull the cover off by connecting a cable to the back (e.g. a display cable)...

Yes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up That's it Lets have a Party !!!Lets have a Party !!!

CooperS:
Btw, the HDD is also screwed very tightly, I used a plier to loosen the two left hand screws..

Good luck, Robert

No problem here, I took it out with the anti-vibration support so that it was easy to access the HDD screws.

Nice to see the effort BO took to get the less noise from the HDD, especialy the glued mat on the HDD.

Now cloning is on its way from the original

Hitachi CinemaStar 500GB from 10-2008 to a

WD Caviar Green 1.0TB WD10EARS which I had liing arround.

Process going on in the sharkoon USB3.0 HDD docking station.
gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Thu, Mar 23 2017 1:43 PM
How did you manage to resize the new HDD, if this one was bigger than the original one?

The newly cloned disk has 4 partions, 3 of them are B&O Partions, Data, BMSystem, System, these are protected

Did you give all the new space to DATA, or also to System and BMSystem?
CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

I did not change the size, my HDD was already 1 TB.

This is my interpretation of the partition purpose:

SYSTEM: contains Windows XP embedded (no need to change size)

BM-System: contains the BM5 programs (no need to change size)

DATA: this is where the music is stored. My partition is much larger than yours: 923.7 GB, I would give it a try to change the size.

Good luck, Robert

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 12:39 AM
I just have resized the cloned HDD, but the BS5 does not boot to 100%.

Starting is stoped with an error :

Unable to write to E:\BM-Share\ ...

As I had to gain access to the 1TB on a Windows Pc I've tested several things including rightsmanagement.

I will restart from scratch and keep you informed.

BTW how did you connect a mouse to the BM5, mine did not respond.

CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

Both problems you described ocurred to me as well - this is where you realise that the embedded version is not a fully fledged Windows XPAngry!

"Unable to write" - always ocurred after I attempted to align the partitions - try first to boot the BM5 with the unmodified offline clone copy of the HDD / SSD (this was my "simple solution" at the end... I did not have to alter the size of partitions but this might be the reason for this error.

"mouse does not work" - I had the same problem. Initially, I attached a monitor to the second display port, subsequently the mouse did not work. Try the following: use a USB 2.0 splitter, connect mouse and keyboard but not a monitor. Then proceed to the Windows XP screen - it worked for me.

Good luck, Robert

gerard
Top 500 Contributor
Luxembourg
249 Posts
Bronze Member
gerard replied on Fri, Mar 24 2017 1:38 PM
CooperS:

"Unable to write" - always ocurred after I attempted to align the partitions

What do you understand by align partions.

There us also a difference using the HDD on Windows or Linux:

Win: DATA and BM-System may not be accessed

Linux: all 4 Partitions may be accessed.

CooperS:

try first to boot the BM5 with the unmodified offline clone copy of the HDD ...

This worked with out a problem.

At boot I was asked if I want to start BM or BM Recovery, with BM at default.

What does this stand for?

After the resizing I noticed that the BM took much longer to start before it brought the error message. Perhaps because of the bigger size?

CooperS
Not Ranked
16 Posts
Bronze Member

"BM or BM Recovery" - the working and default system to boot is BM, I never used BM Recovery which seems to be a rescue option.

Please check my previous post regarding partition alignment on Windows XP, there is also plenty of other posts on this subject (unrelated to BM5). It improves write speed by aligning the partitions to the optimal SSD format. Please note that all my attempts to align partitions failed, creating the errors you describe.

My BM5 now runs very well with an unaligned SSD, so maybe the issue is overrated...

With the optimizing SSD related tasks, there is no need to access DATA and BM-System.

best, Robert

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
897 Posts
Bronze Member

gerard:
I just have resized the cloned HDD, but the BS5 does not boot to 100%.

Starting is stoped with an error :

Unable to write to E:\BM-Share\ ...

As I had to gain access to the 1TB on a Windows Pc I've tested several things including rightsmanagement.

I will restart from scratch and keep you informed.

BTW how did you connect a mouse to the BM5, mine did not respond.

In my experience this error always occurs when any changes are made to the partition table, for example, when enlarging the data partition after cloning to a disk larger than the original, so is not specific to cloning onto an SSD - the changes to the partition table cause XP to become confused as to which partition is which, so the BM-SHARE partition does not get mounted.

You can choose BM Recovery at boot and run through the recovery process which seems to fix this issue, and the system should then boot fine afterwards (you'll need to let it do the software updates afterwards too).

Martin.

Page 4 of 5 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL