Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Very very sensitive BeoTime

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Calvin
Top 500 Contributor
173 Posts
Bronze Member
Calvin posted on Wed, Oct 26 2016 1:26 PM

I posted a question ages back and on recommendation (or really a reminder that it exists) I got a BeoTime. It really is a great little alarm clock, different to the usual plastic stuff and a very B&O nicely made design.

The only reservation I have is that it seems amazingly sensitive to movement. I have it on a shelf next to my bed and I get the idea that it's supposed to light up when I pick it up but the movement sensor seems overly sensitive to the almost silly extent. If I wake up and want to know the time, I can gently tap on the shelf and this is enough to trigger the light.

This is admittedly quite handy sometimes as I can't necessarily see where it is if it's dark and I'm groggy but it turns on even if I place anything on the shelf above or place a heavy object down next to my bed.  Is this a normal thing or is there a sensor that maybe needs cleaning inside? I only wonder as it probably knocks a good 20% off the battery life as it is.

All Replies

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
1,860 Posts
Gold Member

Hi Calvin,

My Beotime is the same - last night I woke up and sneezed at exactly 1:33am (I know this because the movement was sufficient to trigger the light on the Beotime on the cabinet by the bed!) Erm..

I think the short answer is "TADTS" (they all do that sir)

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
639 Posts
Bronze Member
Just the same for me Smile
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,406 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Wed, Oct 26 2016 2:23 PM
Calvin:

I posted a question ages back and on recommendation (or really a reminder that it exists) I got a BeoTime. It really is a great little alarm clock, different to the usual plastic stuff and a very B&O nicely made design.

The only reservation I have is that it seems amazingly sensitive to movement. I have it on a shelf next to my bed and I get the idea that it's supposed to light up when I pick it up but the movement sensor seems overly sensitive to the almost silly extent. If I wake up and want to know the time, I can gently tap on the shelf and this is enough to trigger the light.

This is admittedly quite handy sometimes as I can't necessarily see where it is if it's dark and I'm groggy but it turns on even if I place anything on the shelf above or place a heavy object down next to my bed. Is this a normal thing or is there a sensor that maybe needs cleaning inside? I only wonder as it probably knocks a good 20% off the battery life as it is.

I think this is exactly how it is meant to work.
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,413 Posts
Bronze Member
Same here.
Chris Hassell
Top 200 Contributor
London
394 Posts
Bronze Member
Mine too! It lights up when I walk in the room!

BeoVision Eclipse 55”, Beolab 18s, Beolab 19s, Beosound 1, Beoplay P2, H3, BeoRemote One IR, BeoRemote One BT, Beoplay S8, Beosound Essence MkII, BeoTime

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Oct 26 2016 5:44 PM

Pretty much the same here with my two Beotimes. I have noticed that the sensitivity seems variable at times, perhaps it's a function of battery level, maybe the motion sensor can get a tad sticky. The one on my wife's side of the bed, right now anyway, is far more sensitive then the one on my side. I have to tap mine, but at times if I walk into the room hers will light up (upstairs wooden floor, creaks nicely too!). Personally, I'd prefer it more rather than less sensitive. I went through a period on mine where you had to bang it pretty hard to get it to light up, a simple tap wouldn't do. I changed batteries and whacked it against my hand a few times, seemed to revert to being pretty sensitive after that. I have no idea if it was the batteries or the sensor though.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
1,451 Posts
Bronze Member

Never experienced over sensitive BeoTime. However it did run the battery down by resting it against the bedside table at an angle. Won't do that again.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
11,966 Posts
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Oct 26 2016 10:24 PM

Just got mine working again - the batteries had fused inside it and the battery cover wouldn't unscrew - it broke the tool!! Had to screw 2 self tappers into the cover and use some surgical clamps to open it up! I think it is a wonderful piece - real whimsy. Rubbish clock or remote though!! Big Smile

Peter

Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
442 Posts
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Wed, Oct 26 2016 10:38 PM

I've managed to break a few of the little tools when trying to remove the battery covers that have been tightened to an inch of their life.

Once its off, I found it more practical to put the cover back on inside out. There is a brace in the middle of the plastic cover on what would normally be inside. It makes it much easier to remove as you can just unscrew it with your fingers.

Opman

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
432 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Not Verified) Silou replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 11:45 AM
Suggested by altist

Same problem, to sensitive; unusable into the bedroom.

Has someone tried to disconnect (if possible) the motion sensor?

Thanks 

altist
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member
altist replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 12:53 PM
Done the same as opman and it’s so much easier to access.
altist
Not Ranked
51 Posts
Gold Member
altist replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 12:55 PM
Can’t you turn the sensor bit off somewhere in the menu? Sure I’ve done so on mine as it was super sensitive and ate batteries accordingly.
Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
432 Posts
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Mon, Jul 13 2020 1:39 PM

altist:
Can’t you turn the sensor bit off somewhere in the menu? Sure I’ve done so on mine as it was super sensitive and ate batteries accordingly.

You are right with "touch enable off". But disable motion AND touch. It could be fine that touch is already working... 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL