Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beolab 20 unleashes full armageddon!

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 100 Replies | 2 Followers

jc
Not Ranked
60 Posts
Bronze Member
jc posted on Wed, Oct 19 2016 6:30 AM

So every morning my Beosound 3000 is programmed to play some easy classical music in the living room at 6:45am. But this morning that didn't happen...

Instead, I woke up to a noise I never heard before. It was - litterally - like the whole US Army invaded my living room with tanks and Apaches. So I rushed down the stairs to see what the heck was happening (did the new fridge explode? Was the house collapsing? Did the dog go ballistic?!), to find out the left of my two BL20's was producing some kind of white noise/static sound (rythmic, though) at a volume that on a scale of 1 to 100 would come in at 200+...

I think (!) the other BL20 did not do this and was playing easy classical music at the programmed 32 level, because the sound seemed to come from the left, but in all honesty: I couldn't even hear the other BL20.

After turning off the system and turning it on again, it's playing lovely like nothing ever happened...

Of course I'll call my dealer straight away this morning (the BL20 is only about 6 months old), but I'm really curious if someone else has ever experienced this? Seems like some kind of fault in the electrical circuit?

Best regards,

(a now almost deaf) Joeri

All Replies

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
94 Posts
Bronze Member

CB:

elephant:
I am still nervous at times

If it's able to make an elephant nervous, imagine for a cat...

Devil

haha,

Ok, thanks for the quick responses. That makes me feel better.

Oddly, I'm so curious about this Armageddon noise... and its curiosity that killed the cat.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
2,102 Posts
Bronze Member
I’ve had my BL20s now for about 2 months soon and have had no issues. Connected over WISA. Will try powerlink as soon as I get my BL9s sold.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,443 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Nov 2 2018 4:41 PM

You know, if your cat was sleeping next to it and the speaker did go all Armageddon that would probably make for one of the most popular videos on YouTube for the year. Laughing

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member
Jeff:

You know, if your cat was sleeping next to it and the speaker did go all Armageddon that would probably make for one of the most popular videos on YouTube for the year.

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Cats gone wild
TWG
Top 75 Contributor
1,377 Posts
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sat, Nov 3 2018 9:30 AM

Jeff:

You know, if your cat was sleeping next to it and the speaker did go all Armageddon that would probably make for one of the most popular videos on YouTube for the year. Laughing

I bet it will. Additionaly it will cause more damage to the Bang & Olufsen brand than they can probably imagine in Struer... Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member
Do you reckon it’s wise to buy a pair of 20s now given all of this ?
tobeyone
Top 500 Contributor
97 Posts
Founder
Similar to Michael, I’ve had mine for a couple of months now and no issues......
jc
Not Ranked
60 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sun, Nov 4 2018 2:46 PM

Aussie Michael:
Do you reckon it’s wise to buy a pair of 20s now given all of this ?

FWIW: I would buy them again in an instant. Since they got fixed I haven't had any problems with them. I'm totally in love with both sound and looks (and the lighted B&O logo!). So would it be wise? I guess so.

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Dublin, Ohio
83 Posts
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Thu, Jul 11 2019 4:13 PM

I have recently had a similar problem with my Beolab 20's (especially the left speaker) that are connected to a 2014 B&O Avant television. For a period of time, all will be fine when I turn on a source with the Beoremote 1. Then without any warning, I can suddenly activate a source on the tv with the Beoremote 1 after being in the stand-by position, and BOOM! - There is a loud crackiling sound that will blast until I turn the television off. The speakers are less than 6 months old, so I am assuming that it can not possibly be the speakers and has to be the Avant which connects through a cable to the Beolab 20's. If the scary noise continues, I will try the WISA connection to the Avant with the Beolab 20's. I am reluctant to do this for fear that the quality of sound will not be as good as when directly connected to the Avant. - 

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,294 Posts
Bronze Member
B&O have stated that the WISA signal quality is just as good as the cable - that’s the benefit of WISA.

Report back and let us know how you go

Cheers

M
jc
Not Ranked
60 Posts
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sat, Jul 13 2019 4:29 PM

Gary:

I have recently had a similar problem with my Beolab 20's (especially the left speaker) that are connected to a 2014 B&O Avant television. For a period of time, all will be fine when I turn on a source with the Beoremote 1. Then without any warning, I can suddenly activate a source on the tv with the Beoremote 1 after being in the stand-by position, and BOOM! - There is a loud crackiling sound that will blast until I turn the television off. The speakers are less than 6 months old, so I am assuming that it can not possibly be the speakers

Well, it can be: in my situation it definitely were the speakers - and they were very new as well. It was repaired under warranty (most of the inner stuff was replaced). And FYI: my situation was the same as yours. The speakers were turned on by the source (in my case, a BS3000 connected through PowerLink) and all hell would break loose, until I turned of the source.

I'd have them inspected by your dealer. They're too expensive to have to except killing your dog's ears once in a while.

Page 7 of 7 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL