Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Click here to change your Beoworld Account Details

BV14 and Beovision Horizon - any feedback?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 451 Replies | 14 Followers

Guy
Top 75 Contributor
Shropshire
1,210 Posts
Gold Member
Guy posted on Sat, Oct 8 2016 4:30 PM

Considering that both the BV14 and Beovision Horizon have been out for several weeks there's been very little feedback on this forum!  Does anyone have either and is in a position report how they have got on?  Or is everyone hanging on for the anticipated new TVs next summer?

I am in the market for a new B&O TV and would like to purchase this side of Xmas.  I have been very disappointed with 'android' in the past (albeit with a tablet), hence I am particularly interested in the new android interface and whether the SW runs well?

Anyone?

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
102 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BartS replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 1:00 PM
Verified by kuyttendaele

I have just been informed that there indeed is a bug in the audio-part of the software and that this will be rewritten. As the connection with the Beoremote One BT concerns; there should not be a connection issue. B&O thinks the problem should be within the TV and that the TV should be shut off from power for a time (+ half an hour). Afterwards the remote should not have connection issues anymore.

Sjengie
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Sjengie

I have been using the BV 40 since launch and I do have many software glitches which none of the updates have solved yet.

I am also waiting for update to connect to my wireless speakers eg beosound 1. The TV stops at times without any reason, the TV guide crashed all the time. Sometimes you switch it on and the remote is bklocked after which you have to unplug and plug it again. I can go on and on ...

Dealer says updates are coming and it will take time. Is okay for me but my wife hates it.

Worst is that netflix app does not work on the beovision. 

My dealer told me that B&O recommends to use apple tv. Some argue between B&O and Netflix.

Unbelieveable. I have a subscription with Netflix, I should be able to use it.

The TV itself looks very very nice but is too buggy if you ask me.

I give it another month or so, if the Android glitches are not solved soon I will return it.

good luck

BartS
Top 500 Contributor
102 Posts
Bronze Member
Answered (Verified) BartS replied on Sun, Mar 12 2017 4:19 PM
Verified by boskonay

As said before: at this stage you have to contact your dealer. He passes your serial number through to B&O and subsequently the update will be transferred to your Beovision. I guess it wil take a few weeks before the update is automatically transferred to all the NG Beovisions.

TEL
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Founder
Answered (Verified) TEL replied on Tue, Mar 14 2017 8:00 PM
Verified by TEL

Many thanks Sandyb - I'll probably go ahead with Avant NG 55 later this week

All Replies

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
802 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 12:36 PM

OK, now that we are down this rabbit hole, a quick follow up....

given my BV14 software saga, mentioned before that i'm thinking of swapping it for an Avant 55 (not NG).....question exercising me is whether the picture, screen is something i'd be happy with......if so, happy days, happy PQ + old software would be fine for me, given its my second screen....

anyway, with respect to the Avant's, confirmed that the original Avant (from 2014 on) had the edge lit screen, but that after a certain serial number, the panel was updated / changed to the same one in the new NG......so while the dealers will broadly talk about the 2014 version and now the NG, in reality there was an in between set of serial numbers which had the new panel with the old software.....

as for which is better, that i guess goes beyond specs.....the spec sheets which the dealers see but we dont, show the new panels to have "direct type lighting with global dimming zones", cant remember the number of LEDs, but its less than the Mark 1, lower brightness (400 vs 450), and something about dimming zones (12 i think from memory)....

will be doing a side by side between the Avant 55 2014 and the Avant 55 NG in first week of January.....

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
1,371 Posts
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 12:45 PM
Sandy, that's the tv I was going to buy a month ago (my dealer still as one in stock) and it had a 15% price discount on it. Just saying.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,958 Posts
Bronze Member

BeoGreg:
@ Michael

What I meant is that on the paper B&O tv's are always behind for the last tech specs but in real life they blow the competition.

Your right, I tested in the shop and forgot that for dark scenes test nothing compares to a dark room.

Your point is completely valid and I agree. They aren't usually using the latest tech, but the best tech. In this case, it _seems_ they are not using either, just cheaper panels that are way easier to control since. But I might be wrong.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,958 Posts
Bronze Member

Sandyb:

given my BV14 software saga, mentioned before that i'm thinking of swapping it for an Avant 55 (not NG).....question exercising me is whether the picture, screen is something i'd be happy with......if so, happy days, happy PQ + old software would be fine for me, given its my second screen....

anyway, with respect to the Avant's, confirmed that the original Avant (from 2014 on) had the edge lit screen, but that after a certain serial number, the panel was updated / changed to the same one in the new NG......so while the dealers will broadly talk about the 2014 version and now the NG, in reality there was an in between set of serial numbers which had the new panel with the old software.....

as for which is better, that i guess goes beyond specs.....the spec sheets which the dealers see but we dont, show the new panels to have "direct type lighting with global dimming zones", cant remember the number of LEDs, but its less than the Mark 1, lower brightness (400 vs 450), and something about dimming zones (12 i think from memory)....

will be doing a side by side between the Avant 55 2014 and the Avant 55 NG in first week of January.....

Sandyb,

You are more or less right but your dealer has told you wrong. ALL Avant 2014 55" is edge lit. After september 2016 a model called "BeoVision Avant Reinstated" was introduced as a temporary model in between 2014 and NG. This model has the same panel as the NG edition. and modified video engine (to adhere to the new panel standards I suppose). It also have some hardware changes to make it easier to service.  

You're now saying that your dealer showed you that the global backlight was to mean 12 zones? I don't think this is true either. On B&O´s webpage it clearly states global dimming on Avant NG 55, 75 and 2D local dimming only on the 85". Maybe the dealer misread the information since it differs between the panel sizes. 

I had a look on all the current models at bang-olufsen.com and it states:

• Beovision 11, 200/240 hz, 3D, edge lit and 1.5D local dimming.
• Beovision 14, 100/120 hz. Nothing about 3D or what kind of dimming or backlight method.
• Beovision Horizon, 100/120 hz, same as BV14 = no more info, but anti-glare matt surface.
• BeoVision Avant (NG), 100/120 hz, 3D, direct type led, global dimming (55/75")/2d backlight dimming (85"), anti-glare lcd surface (?) meaning matte screen instead of the glossy on Avant 2014(?).

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
802 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 1:35 PM

Agree, all Avant 2014 55 are edge lit.....and yes the intermediate serial numbers has the new panel..as for when in 2016 those serial numbers applied, dont know what months they started........as for the new panels having 12 zones, i read that on the screen, so he wasnt telling me anything, but showing me the spec on screen......and it specifically related to the Avant 55, showing the original screen spec, the intermediate spec and the NG spec on the same page......the other stuff is correct, slightly fewer LEDs and lower brightness on the newer screens......i'm back there in 2 weeks, so i will double check, but thats what it read on their internal system, not from the consumer facing website......anyway, we can debate to what extent the newer screens are worse, many will find it marginal, some perhaps not......

Sjengie
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
Verified by Sjengie

I have been using the BV 40 since launch and I do have many software glitches which none of the updates have solved yet.

I am also waiting for update to connect to my wireless speakers eg beosound 1. The TV stops at times without any reason, the TV guide crashed all the time. Sometimes you switch it on and the remote is bklocked after which you have to unplug and plug it again. I can go on and on ...

Dealer says updates are coming and it will take time. Is okay for me but my wife hates it.

Worst is that netflix app does not work on the beovision. 

My dealer told me that B&O recommends to use apple tv. Some argue between B&O and Netflix.

Unbelieveable. I have a subscription with Netflix, I should be able to use it.

The TV itself looks very very nice but is too buggy if you ask me.

I give it another month or so, if the Android glitches are not solved soon I will return it.

good luck

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,758 Posts
Bronze Member
Sjengie did your B&O store give you an Apple TV for free because Netflix is not working? I think they should have.
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
1,958 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 10:00 AM
Aussie Michael:

Sjengie did your B&O store give you an Apple TV for free because Netflix is not working? I think they should have.

But it's not 4K. So they should give you a player with 4K support. Netflix is one of the biggest producers of 4K content and I would want to see that on my 4K screen.
Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
2,758 Posts
Bronze Member
Michael:

But it's not 4K. So they should give you a player with 4K support. Netflix is one of the biggest producers of 4K content and I would want to see that on my 4K screen.

Agreed. He didn't mention 4K Netflix so I didn't Big SmileCool
BAND'OH!
Top 150 Contributor
543 Posts
Bronze Member
BAND'OH! replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 12:01 PM

Michael:

Sandyb:

Sandyb,

You are more or less right but your dealer has told you wrong. ALL Avant 2014 55" is edge lit. After september 2016 a model called "BeoVision Avant Reinstated" was introduced as a temporary model in between 2014 and NG. This model has the same panel as the NG edition. and modified video engine (to adhere to the new panel standards I suppose). It also have some hardware changes to make it easier to service.  

You're now saying that your dealer showed you that the global backlight was to mean 12 zones? I don't think this is true either. On B&O´s webpage it clearly states global dimming on Avant NG 55, 75 and 2D local dimming only on the 85". Maybe the dealer misread the information since it differs between the panel sizes. 

I had a look on all the current models at bang-olufsen.com and it states:

• Beovision 11, 200/240 hz, 3D, edge lit and 1.5D local dimming.
• Beovision 14, 100/120 hz. Nothing about 3D or what kind of dimming or backlight method.
• Beovision Horizon, 100/120 hz, same as BV14 = no more info, but anti-glare matt surface.
• BeoVision Avant (NG), 100/120 hz, 3D, direct type led, global dimming (55/75")/2d backlight dimming (85"), anti-glare lcd surface (?) meaning matte screen instead of the glossy on Avant 2014(?).

Interesting article explaining the various technologies in more depth. Cheers, Simon.

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
802 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 1:51 PM

Thanks, interesting, though a struggle through my current hangover......

not sure how i got down this rabbit hole, just trying to work out if the new screens are indeed slightly worse than the older ones......will be doing a long side by side Avant 2014 vs Avant NG early January, best way to gauge it in the end.......

CarJen
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Bronze Member
CarJen replied on Sun, Jan 29 2017 4:40 PM

New to this forum, i would like to bring my 2 cents on the Beovision Horizon which i have been the - i'm sorry to say - unfortunate owner of, since it release on 01SEP16.

I love the HW part of the Horizon, but B&O's decision to go with an all Android software was maybe not the best decision they made. I have had so many software issues that, unless a MAJOR release due in week 5 2017 will solve all issues, i'll be returning the Horizon to my local dealer getting a refund.

B&O are very much aware of the issues, and i have been given an additional year warranty for the trouble, but that doesn't do me any good when i often can't turn the tv on, can't connect to the tv with the BT Beoremote, picture suddenly shuts down, but sounds remain. Tv can be up to 3 minutes to start up and even suddenly turns on in the middle of the night, with sound only without anyone having touch the remote.

Recordings made on external hdd, can't be played back despite it is clear the whole recording is present. Green light stats flashing despite tv is not on, and many many more errors. It has been deeply frustrating and the joy i usually have had when buying B&O for the past 25 years is non existing. I have not had all B&O products, but a fair share, and i believe the Horizon must be a candidate to the poorest software performing tv they've made. The software have not been tested in an orderly manner it seems and this long after the release, customers should not still have all of these issues. It is very bad after sales service from B&O.

Therefore, if you are looking to buy the Horizon, wait, or look elsewhere unless you are not so picky when it comes to continous software issues as i am.

I am curious to know if anyone else may have had similar issues with their Horizon, or other B&O tv's?

PK
Top 500 Contributor
69 Posts
Bronze Member
PK replied on Sun, Jan 29 2017 5:09 PM

I've bought the Horizon in late November and except for Netflix not working the TV has been pretty problem free. I have to reboot it every other week or so, but apart from that it has been fine. 

Sandyb
Top 100 Contributor
802 Posts
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jan 29 2017 7:25 PM

as  you can probably tell from the thread, you are not alone......my BV14 has been fairly problematic........will likely change it for an Avant (non-Android).....unforgiveable....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
10,414 Posts
Bronze Member

Two more days - maybe (?) then these troubles will over.

I urge any Horizon/14/AvantNG owner to report back, once the update is installed.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Page 14 of 31 (452 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL