Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

What (non-b&o) remotes are usable with the PLAYMAKER?

Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 39 Replies | 2 Followers

tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
165 Posts
Bronze Member
tuttivini posted on Sat, Oct 8 2016 9:37 AM

Beoworlders,

I'm thinking of replacing my AV-receiver (Marantz NR-1602) with a Playmaker.
The reason is I want to simplify things and because I think the dac in the Playmaker should be better than the Marantz dac (I hope to reach better/clearer sound)

(I finally found a mk2 model that I can buy second hand locally)
The Playmaker will connect directly  to my Beolab 8000's mk2 in the living room.
 I will use the analog line in to connect to my (non-b&o) tv, so all sounds from the tv, go to the Playmaker.
If I like the setup/sound, I will buy a second playmaker (if available second hand), and connect it to my beolab 6000's, which are in my kitchen (I now use the zone2 option for them on my marantz).

The only main concern for me is: How can I control the volume easily?
If I use the Playmaker with Airplay on my iPads/iPhones, I always use the hardware volume buttons on those Apple devices to control the Airplay volume, so that's easy.
But what if I want to control the volume when I use the Playmakers line-in (when watching tv)?

I don't want to use the volume scrollwheel on the Playmaker, because I want to place it out of sight and because I don't want to get up/walk everytime I want to change volume offcourse.

I'm looking for a simple remote controller to do this job (In think the only commands are volume + and volume -, because the source switching and powering the beolabs on and off are done automatically?

I don't want to buy a Beo4 for this simple job (We wouldn't use all buttons, except volume)
(If I want to setup the Playmaker once, for things like loudness, bass, treble, I can borrow my parents Beo4) 

What would be the best/simplest remote control to perform this job?

Where is the infrared eye located on the playmaker?
If placed out of sight, I'm going to use a infrared extender cable, like this:
http://www.irblaster.info/usb_powered_ir_repeater.jpg 

If this isn't possible, how can I control the line-in volume, without touching the scrollwheel on the Playmaker? Using an app? (I thought the beosetup app is only for the setup, not for controlling) 

I would love to find a good looking minimalistic remote for this simple job ->

I've read that the Essence remote will partially work, but this is not a good remote for me, because I want to pick it up/hold it in my hands while sitting on the couch)

Would the Beoplay A8 remote work?
http://approvedusedbang-olufsen.com/beoplay-a8-remote-control-silver-new.html 
(is this infrared and gives the correct ir volume up/down signals? Will play, next track, etc also work?)  

Or any other (ir-programmable / non-b&o) remotes with good design (like the simple Apple TV remote) up to this task?

All Replies

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Lorient - France
202 Posts
Founder

Hi,

The best option would be a 2nd hand Beo4  with an ir transmitter + Creation 5 app on iPad (great for artplay display).

I used Playmaker/Creation for several years before I bought a Moment and was really happy with it.

Yann.

Living Room   BV Eclipse - BS Core - BL5 - BL8000 - LC2 x2 - Beo6 

Lounge  Beolink Passive - Cabasse Clipper - Beo4      Kitchen  BL3500 - Beolink 1000

Bedroom    BV9 - BL6000 (Thks Botty) - Beotime - LC2 - Beo5

Garden Lounge   BC9000 - BG 6006 - BL4500 (Thks Botty) - Playmaker - Beolink 1000

Study    BS1 - ML/NL Converter - BL2500 - Beo4 - Form 2 (Tks Botty) - Beoplay P2

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member
Beosound 8 or Beoplay A8 remote
tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
165 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks for both answers. I will have a look at the creation 5 all, but I think I prefer the hardware remote, like the mentioned Playmaker remote.

Will this remote 100% work if I aim it at the PM? And is there a difference between the Besound 8 and the Beoplay 8 (remotes)?

And where is the ir sensor located on the PM?

Can I buy this remote at the local B&O dealer?

Do all buttons work? And how to adjust volume on this remote? Because I don't see volume buttons on it. 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,026 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 8 2016 2:56 PM

tuttivini:

Where is the infrared eye located on the playmaker?
If placed out of sight, I'm going to use a infrared extender cable, like this:
http://www.irblaster.info/usb_powered_ir_repeater.jpg 

If this isn't possible, how can I control the line-in volume, without touching the scrollwheel on the Playmaker? Using an app? (I thought the beosetup app is only for the setup, not for controlling) 

Hi tuttivini,

The Playmaker remote sensor is in the middle of its front plastic face - the centre of the volume 'wheel'.  You will not be able to use the infrared extender that you mention because it is only able to receive (and by implication, transmit) IR frequencies of 30-60kHz, rather than the 455kHz that the B&O remote system uses.  I am not aware of any 455kHz IR repeaters, hence you would not be able to hide your playmaker away.

With your TV, is it not possible to make the line out 'variable' rather than 'fixed' - this is often in the setup menu?  If so, you could simply use the TV remote tocontrol volume when playing sound via the playmaker. 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
2,092 Posts
Bronze Member
If you are Airplaying all buttons work.

Up and down adjusts volume, left and right skips tracks, and center button pauses.
tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
165 Posts
Bronze Member

@Guy and Leosgonewild: thanks again. 

haven't thought about the 455kHz ir signal, so thanks for mentioning this. Unfortunately I can't place the PM out of sight due to this :-(
Good to hear I can use the Beoplay A8 remote (if I place the PM in the line of sight), because I love the looks of it. Can I buy this at the dealer? Costs?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,026 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 8 2016 5:32 PM

No sure of new cost but I'd look for second hand.  There's a couple on UK eBay for approx. £60, but if in Denmark I'd try dba or QXL.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
991 Posts
Bronze Member
If you are using sky you could program the sky remote to be in B&O mode
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Oct 8 2016 7:32 PM

I've seen people in the past drill a hole thru a cabinet door or front and install a door peep hole, the kind of glass wide angle lens thing, as if you were going to be in the cabinet looking out thru it to carry an IR signal into a closed cabinet. Make sure you try it with a cardboard box sealed up tight to make sure you get enough IR energy thru it though before taking a drill to your cabinet!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

tuttivini
Top 500 Contributor
165 Posts
Bronze Member

@Guy: Thanks, I will look for a second hand model (I live in The Netherlands)
@STUrrock: We don't have/use sky in The Netherlands
@ Jeff: I don't have a 'cabinet'. I have recently made my own 2.90 meter wilde 'wall', including a 2 meter wide floating shelf, where I placed my marantz receiver under (hanging). I want to hang the PM completely under the shelf, so you can't see it at all (replacing the Marantz) (there are already some other items invisible under the shelf, like mains sockets, chromecast, etc.)

look at the photo's:

So the Playmaker and the B&O remote (The Beoplay A8 one) both work on the 455 kHz infrared frequency? 
Do I really need to AIM the remote (line of sight to the PM's infrared port) needed?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
2,429 Posts
Gold Member
Duels replied on Sat, Oct 8 2016 11:22 PM
Tuttivini. Fabulous room and pictures.
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 9 2016 2:38 AM

Absolutely beautiful installation! I see what you mean about no cabinet.

One question, does anything go in the recess to the right of the TV? Is it decorative of functional?

One thing about a Beo4 remote you might consider. You wouldn't use the vast majority of its functionality, but it is the single most powerful remote I've ever seen. In dealers they put a damper over it to reduce the IR range so they don't trigger everything in the store. If you want to be sure you can command the Playmaker without having to worry about pointing it exactly at it, the Beo4 is the way to go. I find that if I don't put my hand over the transmitter when using it in the dining room it controls the main system around the corner in the living room!

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
3,793 Posts
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 9 2016 4:39 AM

Ummm...to the left of the TV...

Jeff

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Buckinghamshire
2,026 Posts
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Oct 9 2016 5:34 AM

Great setup tuttivini!  I built a floating wall 4 houses ago, but have been in rented accom since then (Denmark, Bavaria and now Bucharest!)  hence am more limited in what I can do.  We need a photo of the underside of the shelf!

As Jeff has already said, the Beo4 is very powerful (not sure about the A8 remote) and I am 99% certain that the PM will still receive IR commands if mounted face down under your shelf.  In fact, I very nearly set mine up in a similar fashion when I moved here, and never even considered that the IR might not work! 

I also just experimented by holding my PM in a similar position, and it worked fine as long as the remote was pointing vaguely in the right direction. 

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL