Sign in   |  Join   |  Help

Beovision 11 - external rear speakers only possible?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 1 Follower

amnesia7
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member
amnesia7 posted on Mon, Oct 3 2016 10:35 PM

Hi,

It might sound an odd setup but the alcove where my beovision 11-40 sits doesn't really allow too much space either side for front left and right speakers so I was wondering if it is possible to set the tv to be the front left, centre and front right channels and use a couple of BL3s or something for the rear left and rear right...and probably use a BL2 for the bass.

The alcove possibly has just about enough space either side for a speaker (eg BL8000) so it wouldn't really provide any width to the front audio and would almost just be there to provide external speakers for the front left and front right channels so I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass needing external front left and right speakers at all.

If it is possible, is anyone in a position to try it to see if it actually sounds any good.

If it's not possible I may just have to deal with it and either ditch the idea of rear speakers or cram some either side of the tv.

The alcove is slightly off to one side of the chimney putting the tv in the corner of the room ... :(

If I could put the tv as close to the chimney as reasonably possible and just use a couple of rear speakers then it would be reasonably square-on but if I need speakers either side of the tv then it pushes the tv further away from the chimney and so pushes it more off-centre from the settee.

It sounds like mine is a similar situation to what was asked here for BV10 but mine is a BV11 in case that makes a difference.

All Replies

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Basicly you can make the speakers of your BV11 play any role, that you would want them to - which (by the way) makes the audio engine totally different from that of the BV10.

However, since the BV11 has a 2.0 speaker system built-in, you cannot create a front/left, center, front/right situation.

For this you would need a 3.0 system like what the BV Avant has.

I suppose that - even in your room -  the sound would benefit a lot from adding external speakers (left/right) - you could then make the internal speakers play the role of the center.

There are a lot of possibilities to tweek the sound in the (BSys4) audio engine. Best have a look (means: study) the Technical Sound Guide, that is part of the User Guide of your tv.

See here: 

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/~/mediaV3/Files/User-Guides/BeoVision11/Technical-Sound-Guide/Technical-Sound-Guide-1409.pdf

Considering the placement of the tv - have you thought of a BL14.4 speaker setup for the surround sound?

P.S. Welcome to Beoworld ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member

In my Avant setup , i am using the TV speakers as Left, Right and Centre.  I dont have any additional front speakers as like you the room doesn't lend itself and even if you could fit them, its not wide enough.

I am using BL18s as rears.  I was using BL3s before - which are good for rear speakers.

If  i had a better shaped room i could use the BL18s as fronts and the BL3s as rears. 

amnesia7
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks MM :)

I had seen the technical sound guide but didn't find an answer to my issue.

The "TV" group currently says "Beovision 11" for "Front Left" and "Front Right".

Do you know if I connected 2 x BL3s, the setup menu would allow me to create a group with the Beovision 11 as the Front Left and Front Right (ie 2.0 system for the front) and select one BL3 to be Left Surround and another to be Right Surround (ie making it a 4.0 system) or whether the BV11 speakers will no longer be selectable and the tv speakers will only be useable together as the centre channel (ie a triangular 3.0 system => centre + 2 rears)?

Hope that makes sense.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Having the 'TV' Speakers Group' as is, does not keep you from creating a new group with the tv speakers as L/R and the BL3's as LS/RS.

As written above - you can make the Speakers Groups as you please.

However, you must know that the center speaker is an essential part of a multichannel setup - especially with native multichannel/5.0 (or 5.1) content.

Without the center (in a 4.0 setup) you could have a 'sort of phantom center speaker' - but only if you sit pretty much in front of/between the FL/FR speakers of the tv (in the sweetspot).

Note: you can select this Speakers Group, when you need it, want to use it - or you could even assign it to a specific source (e.g. a connected Blu Ray player).

It would be possible, yes - I would not recommend it, though.

P.S. You really ought to study the Sound Guide - it is very comprehensive and you can learn new things each time you read it.

MM

amnesia7
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

Thanks.

I assume that the tv is currently applying a phantom centre speaker anyway since it is only using the 2 internal speakers when I watch a film.

Gennaro
Top 500 Contributor
Bronx, NY
76 Posts
Bronze Member
Why haven't we seen an update for over a year now???

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member
You can make the two internal speakers as centre and then the 2 BL3s as left and right front (just to let you know)
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Gennaro:
Why haven't we seen an update for over a year now???

Update to/for what?

Are you missing something?

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Update to/for what?

MM

Maybe he's yet to get the memo

It's now the BV14

They still have the BV11 in 46
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

Personally I would not call the 14 an 'update' of the 11.

Those are - though looking the same - rather different.

The BV11 is a mature BV - I was just wondering, what Gennaro would be missing there (that could be added/changed through an update)?

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
12,209 Posts
Bronze Member

By the way - speaking of 'using/configuring' external speakers - the audioengine in both is pretty much the same.

MM

Gennaro
Top 500 Contributor
Bronx, NY
76 Posts
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Update to/for what?

MM

I meant it's been a year since we've seen a software update. I have both the BV 11-55 and the V1, and they haven't seen an update in over a year. That's all

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

Aussie Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
3,301 Posts
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Personally I would not call the 14 an 'update' of the 11.

Those are - though looking the same - rather different.

The BV11 is a mature BV - I was just wondering, what Gennaro would be missing there (that could be added/changed through an update)?

MM

haha - the same shape with different wifi module in a different place and a software update... yeah very different. :-) 

amnesia7
Not Ranked
21 Posts
Bronze Member

It's taken a while (I contacted them before putting question on this forum) but I've had a response from B&O that confirms as such (not that I didn't believe you MM Smile):

"I had to confer with our technical support and apologise for the late reply.

If you set the integrated speaker to play left and right front channels, the TV will automatically add the centre channel and you can connect rear speakers and a subwoofer for surround."

Thanks

Col

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Beoworld Security Certificate

SSL